MA motorcycle licensing

spiritdream

TOI - Massachusetts
Sep 1, 2008
Central MA
I just found out that Massachusetts now has a restricted motorcycle license!! Not sure when it changed, but they didn't have one in 2006 when I got my license!

The drivers manual now states CLEARLY that if you take a road test on a trike, you will receive a motorcycle license with a "J" restriction and the description "Motorcycle - limited to 3-wheels only".

Finally!!! ThumbUp

I know NY had that years ago also, but not sure if that is still the case.
So, did you take your test on the trike? Have they left your license alone or retroactively changed it.

In Ohio, if you have the 2-wheel endorsement you can ride either 2 or 3 wheels legally. If you test on the 3-wheeler, then you have ONLY a trike endorsement and cannot legally ride a 2-wheeler

I know NY had that years ago also, but not sure if that is still the case.
So, did you take your test on the trike? Have they left your license alone or retroactively changed it.

Nope, I took my road test through the riding school, so I have a "full" license - that was the only option as of September 2006!

Again, not sure when they changed that, but it's about time they started matching other states in this!! There are a lot of people who want to ride trikes, but can't take a 2wheel road tests - this will put a LOT more riders on the road in the coming years!! ThumbUp

I fought that in Conn all the way to the Capital. I spoke at a
Hearing with dep of transportation , they are so backwards in the state
They don't understand what a trike is. You can get by it if you can
Prove disability.

We should run to be elected to Hartford, then can claim that as a disability. Or lie like our U.S. Senator about his returning from Viet Nam, and get it that way

In Ohio, if you have the 2-wheel endorsement you can ride either 2 or 3 wheels legally. If you test on the 3-wheeler, then you have ONLY a trike endorsement and cannot legally ride a 2-wheeler

Virginia is the same way. They only recently allowed people to road test on a trike.

In Illinois, if you road test on 2 wheels, you can ride 2 or 3 wheel vehicles. If you road test on 3 wheels, you can only legally ride a 3 wheel vehicle. Was just at the DMV today so be sure to get your lic on 2 wheels. Ride Safe!!

In Illinois, if you road test on 2 wheels, you can ride 2 or 3 wheel vehicles. If you road test on 3 wheels, you can only legally ride a 3 wheel vehicle. Was just at the DMV today so be sure to get your lic on 2 wheels. Ride Safe!!

I got My IL Motorcycle license in 1986.. and never looked back! I thought the test was a breeze... I would encourage everyone to take the MCSC in their state and get the full endorsement to ride... It's just good policy for all! ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png