Do you think Trikes are Safer than Bikes?

Do you think Trikes are safer than Bikes

• Total voters
I think trikes are definitely safer. I've ridden both 2 and 3 over the years - more trikes than 2 wheelers. I've only had a couple of minor upsets on two wheels - one in a gravel parking lot, stopped (kickstand not all the way down), and one at about 20 mph (RR track grabbed the front wheel - didn't go down, but injured an ankle saving it). I'm on 2 for now, but have seen very recently of several severe injuries - riders laying down to avoid a head on, front wheel drifting onto soft shoulder (not bikes fault), several fatalities - usually not the riders fault. I'm getting up there in years, and a lightweight - the Harley took a while to get used to - quite a bit of weight for me. I love the Deuce, but am ready to get back on 3 and will be doing a Frankenstein this winter. Safety is certainly a prime motivator for me.

My very 1st trike was a Lithia Automotive VW kit (fiberglass body). About 2 months after I completed it, I was driving on a 2 lane 60 mph highway early in the morning. Straight road, high visibility in all directions. I saw a vehicle approaching the highway from a gravel road coming out from a farm on the right. I saw him, assumed he saw me. NO other vehicles anywhere. He slowed down, looked, then pulled right out in front of me. I was forced off the road to the right to avoid a collision, traveled some distance through a field, and stopped after a front end collision with a gas pipe sticking up out of the ground. Destroyed my springer front end but I was not hurt. If I had been on 2 wheels I probably would not be here.

I have been riding for 42 years 40 of them on 2 wheels the last 2 on 3 wheels. I think trikes are safer than a 2 wheeler because of being seen better. We have a stallion and really enjoy it.

I am new to trike talk, I just joined recently and have been reading here about the difference in 2 wheels verses 3.....I just pulled the trigger on a Motor trike Gladiator the 12th of last month and it is still in the building process... I have been riding 2 wheelers for 48 years and never gave a thought to going down till this summer...A friend of mine was in Jacksonville Fla on his new Ultra coming on or off of a ramp hit a oil slick and crashed killed his wife and he died 3 days later... Cant help but think if he had been on a trike he would still be here today.. Maybe not but I think the odds improve more on 3 wheels this is why I moved to a trike...Hell, I haven't even brought mine home yet and I am getting a feeling of security already....But I truly believe you are as safe as you ride and don't take stupid chances.....RIDE SENSIBLY !!!! I can't say that in 48 years I have never been down on a 2 wheeler but a third wheel takes the problem of falling over in your yard out of the equation... RIDE SAFE LIVE LONG!!!!! Jerry

Welcome White Knight,
I beleive you are as safe as you ride. If you are attentive and ride defensively there is no difference between a bike and a trike. You are just as vulnerable on one as the other.
Tom

I have tried to raise a wheel off the ground and have yet to succeed. I have actually squealed my rear tires on a corner. If it tips over anything would.
I know someone that tipped over a T bird.
The Stallion is maybe a little more safe as you legs are protected and you are more in a seated position .
Honey sleeps on the back of mine on long trips.
HAS anyone made there trike go up on 2 wheels? I would be interested in knowing this.

I have seen VW trikes do wheelies with ease.

I have seen VW trikes do wheelies with ease.

Yeppers, they will if you intentionally try. As for 2 vs 3...3 has the advantage IMHO. Been riding since I was 16 (58 now) and have drag raced bikes ( my crazy days lol). Someone mentioned if you ride sensible, that makes them equal. I disagree. Where I live (Arizona) we have a lot of sand/fine gravel on the roads from winds. I`ve seen 2-wheelers have near mishapes because of said debris. 3-wheelers MIGHT slide a little, but thats all. Been there, Done that.
:)

I think that 'escape routes' are more attainable on 2 wheels because you don't
require a wide gap... But having said that, IF you ride sensibly, trikes, without
a doubt are a much safer option... Particularly if you round a corner and
are suddenly confronted with sand, gravel, or any other obstacle.
In that instance, I'd rather be on my trike anytime.

But trikes and bikes have the distinct disadvantage of minimal protection if you're
hit by another vehicle... As was the case a few days back in Oz, where a drunk
driver speared into the back of a bike and unfortunately, killed the rider.

Both trikes and bikes share a common requirement, and that is complete attention
on the road ahead, and be on the lookout for anything that MAY pose a problem.
There is no denying the fact that a lot of car drivers just don't see us!

No I don't think trikes are safer just a bigger target for a large portion of people that have no business driving there four wheel cage on the road. After 45 years of riding on the road I know with my two wheeler I can ride up on a sidewalk or even a bit of dirt riding to avoid a drunk driver or someone with a brand new license it's happened to me several times over the years. With a trike its hard to get out of someones way in a hurry, so don't let it become a falls sense of security.

Must be as Insurance thinks so. Got a drop in premimun when I converted to trike. Response from Ins Co was that they are considered safer.

I on the other hand was told by Progressive the last time I went to insure a newly converted trike that I would pay MORE! The "reason" given -- major modifications were made to the bike putting it into a higher risk group. Don't ya just love that "drawn up by a committee of people who don't ride" mentality?? :Shrug:

Bob Witte
The Trinity Trike

I just repaired a Harley Ultra Classic Motor Trike for a customer that was hit hard broadside by a lady in a minivan who had ran a red light. She hit him squarely with the front of the van with the contact points being the rear wheel/fender and the front fairing. He never saw her coming and was knocked over so far that the opposite side rear fender scrubbed the pavement so it must have been tilted to 45 degrees but somehow didnt turn over. Id did ruin the trike kit which was replaced but he didnt get a scratch.

He said that if he'd been driving a 2 wheeler he'd be either critically injured or killed because the impact would have knocked him over hard and into oncoming traffic and he would have probably been run over by her van as well.

I also had a customer on a CSC Valkyrie Trike that was hit hard. The trike was totaled but they only got minor injuries. Safetywise I'll take a trike over a bike any day of the week.

I just repaired a Harley Ultra Classic Motor Trike for a customer that was hit hard broadside by a lady in a minivan who had ran a red light. She hit him squarely with the front of the van with the contact points being the rear wheel/fender and the front fairing. He never saw her coming and was knocked over so far that the opposite side rear fender scrubbed the pavement so it must have been tilted to 45 degrees but somehow didnt turn over. Id did ruin the trike kit which was replaced but he didnt get a scratch.

He said that if he'd been driving a 2 wheeler he'd be either critically injured or killed because the impact would have knocked him over hard and into oncoming traffic and he would have probably been run over by her van as well.

I also had a customer on a CSC Valkyrie Trike that was hit hard. The trike was totaled but they only got minor injuries. Safetywise I'll take a trike over a bike any day of the week.

WOW ZOOK not the best way to find out how safe they are.

Any vehicle is safe as long as you realize you control it,it does not control you. Here is another way to look at it. Can you ride a street bike in sand all day,through hay fields,streams,gravel roads. By the way, I live in the country and don't have a polished don't touch trike. Happy New Year.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png