Harley 6 speed

Apr 12, 2012
Odessa, Florida
I hear both positve and negative on the Harley 6 speed transmission. Both my bike and trike are 5 speed, and on occassion I would like a extra gear on the highway.
Are the 6 speeds that much better, or is it only worthwhile on the highway going 80 mph?

Can't use 6th until your going to stay at or above 70. That's with a 30 tooth pulley and a good running 103 ci motor. My opinion is stay with the 5 speed. There may be other opinions, this is mine especially 2 up/pulling a our Bushtec trailer. Ride Safe!

i have a champion conversion on my 2007 police roadking. engine has 510g s and s cams with power commander dyno ed. i use 6th at 60+ pulls great.

Probably won't upgrade the trike as I would have to replace the Champion reverse also as the 5 speed reverse is different then the 6 speed. It would be cheaper to trade trikes for a newer 6 speed.

Probably won't upgrade the trike as I would have to replace the Champion reverse also as the 5 speed reverse is different then the 6 speed. It would be cheaper to trade trikes for a newer 6 speed.

6 Speed isn't really worth it, the 2011 and later Triglides have almost the exact final drive ratio 3.157 as your 5th gear.

6 Speed isn't really worth it, the 2011 and later Triglides have almost the exact final drive ratio 3.157 as your 5th gear.

Thats what I have heard several times. My 5 speed works perfect up to 75 or so, then a extra overdrive gear would be nice. I never really go over 75, so wouldn't need it often.

Thats what I have heard several times. My 5 speed works perfect up to 75 or so, then a extra overdrive gear would be nice. I never really go over 75, so wouldn't need it often.

If you wanted overdrive you would have to go to either a Screamin Eagle 6 speed of a Baker OD6. With the heavy trike I think you would find your self not using the over drive very much unless you run some pretty flat roads at freeway speeds. The overdrive will make the trike quite sluggish accelerating or going up hills, unless your engine has a lot of torque.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png