Triglide gas tank fill up?

very slowly! I wait until the nozzle cuts off when the gas hits it and then slow squirts until I see the fuel at the top. Have never splashed it.

Put the nozzle in till just below the bottom of the fill neck. Run at about 1/3 speed on the fill rate. When it cuts off the first time, stop. You will only get 2-3 more ounces in if you try again and that is when it spills everywhere.

When filling, it will usually be up to neck with 1/2 gallon of space left. Then I just press pump handle Dink, dink, dink...etc to fill rest of way. When I encounter a crappy pump that has fine no control, I use the H-D official red rubber plug over nozzle to keep splash at minimum. No, I am not making that up. After causing problem, Harley sells a red rubber splash guard. An H-D bargain at only $19.99.

I just nurse the last 1/2 gal in like I'm poring Nitro.:laugh:
Here in NJ most pumps have the bellows type nozzle, one big pain in the :censored: Glad that the EPA came to there senses and that they now can be removed from the nozzles.ThumbUp

When filling, it will usually be up to neck with 1/2 gallon of space left. Then I just press pump handle Dink, dink, dink...etc to fill rest of way. When I encounter a crappy pump that has fine no control, I use the H-D official red rubber plug over nozzle to keep splash at minimum. No, I am not making that up. After causing problem, Harley sells a red rubber splash guard. An H-D bargain at only $19.99.

Need picture and part number. Thanks.

It all depends on the pump nozzel. Some nozzles let you fill to the top and some are really bad. Yesterday I had a bad one, I couldn't even click the handle without the gas splashing everywhere.
I remember seeing a gadget(not sure if it's the one Bikerbozo is referring to)on an episode of American Chopper. You put it on the end of the nozzle and then insert it into the tank. It's suppose to keep the gas from spilling all over the tank.

It all depends on the pump nozzel. Some nozzles let you fill to the top and some are really bad. Yesterday I had a bad one, I couldn't even click the handle without the gas splashing everywhere.
I remember seeing a gadget(not sure if it's the one Bikerbozo is referring to)on an episode of American Chopper. You put it on the end of the nozzle and then insert it into the tank. It's suppose to keep the gas from spilling all over the tank.

Its called ; Mc Cuff. I haven't tried it but i would think it's just something else I'll forget to put away before i drove off.:Shrug:

I agree with Ironhorsepilot. You just have to use tiny squirts until you see the gas. Never had a spill or gas splashes on the trike, and I have small hands. If we run into a pump that doesn't have goo control, just fill it till it cuts off. Not a problem! The best part of this story is, I only have to fill if I'm riding alone, so most of the time my sweet hubby is filling it for me! Thank you sweetie.

HD part # 99894-09
Blurb by HD re gas splash guard.
"The Fill-N-Go fuel tank adapter eliminates fuel spills and splash back during fill-ups, and reduces time at the pump. Just insert the Fill-N-Go over the fuel pump nozzle, and begin filling-up. When the pump clicks off, your tank is full, with no need to top off the tank. Kit includes Fill-N-Go tank adapter and a convenient storage pouch."

The best part of this story is, I only have to fill if I'm riding alone, so most of the time my sweet hubby is filling it for me! Thank you sweetie.[/QUOTE]

Oh hush up!!!! LOL! The only time my hubby will fill mine is if I let him ride it to the gas station! Won't admit it, but he loves to steal my trike.

In his defense, I usually pull up to pump and he pulls along side of me and I do mine, then hand him the nozzle.

It should be stated that the advertised "pump until it clicks off" is a lie. You still end up witgh little Dink, dink, dinks while the air gets out, until actually full. It does stop most of the splash, but not all. When pump clicks off I usually have exactly 1/2 gallon left to go, so I just look at pump and do a little math.

Mine splashes out everytime I fill up. You have to wipe it off the paint because this crap will eat the paint. I made a splash guard out of a piece of 3/4-1" pipe foam insulation. It worked great but you can't see to top it off. lot cheaper than buying one. Jim

The "Fill-n-Go Fuel Tank Funnel" has never let me down! WELL worth the $19.95!!!! Once the nozzle clicks, I'm done. Never had any accedental spills. When I'm done, zip it up in the pouch and put it in the lower fairing storage till the next time I need it!ThumbUp

I bought the McCuff couple months ago....forget to use it. Depends on gas stations whether the outside gas tank gets splashed...some you can click, click, click and top off, others the gas goes "whoooooosh" all over. Be sure to wipe down before lighting a cigarette (lol).

Would you believe Oregon has a law that you cannot "top off" your gas tank (cars/motorcycles)...sticker right on the pumps. So far, the top-off police haven't caught me.....:censored: 'em!!!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png