Trunk Lock

Jan 8, 2012
Oxnard, CA. USA
I felt this should be a its own thread. I posted this as part of another thread.

Watch the lock on your trunk, mine popped out today, broken, had to have the dealer order another one today, about two weeks before I get the new one in and installed. Nothing like running around without a lock. :mad:

I think the black plastic sleeve should be metal, the plastic and metal clip that hold it in place do not work well together. A piss poor cheap a$$ design. The entire door lock assembly that is inside the trunk box is crap. A very bad design.

Mine broke on my "11 a month after I got it. Dealer replaced it with a new one they said was built better, with no plastic in it...as there were problems with the old one. Have not had a problem since and that was 13 months ago. It gets used a lot too. They didnt charge me a dime of course and the tech complained that it took him 45 minutes to change it out.

Don't have a problem with the lock on my 2012.
Are you slamming the door shut? There was another thread on this problem a while back and people were having a problem closing the door and were slamming it - which probably broke the lock.
The correct way to close the door is like way you had to close the door on the VW Beetles, since they were so airtight. You either had to crack the window a little or close the door rapidly, stop just before it made contact, then gently pushed the door the rest of the way and it closed and locked perfectly every time.

Let's face it or at least own up to it... Harley just like all the other MFG's has some parts on their bikes that you and I would not put on if we were building our own Bike / Trike. I'm not picking on Harley... Kawi and honda and every body else is guilty of putting ( for a better word ) CRAP on their bikes and it kinda pi$$es me off... But you deal with it I guess and replace it with good after market parts if you can. ThumbUp

The trunk lock on my '10 TG popped open often enough that I knew what people were beeping and waving about in my direction. Since the whole rear body was replaced (under warranty) with a '12 design, it hasn't popped open even once. I think the big difference was those cables on the earlier models. If something in trunk hit cables, that made it pop open. The '12 design is sealed. However, I noticed the external rubber gasket slipped to side of lock. HD mechanic just took it apart, removed gasket and siliconed it in place. Says he has seen this a couple of times now.

Thanks trikermutha, it is not a VW it is a Harley - Davidson, it should of been built like a brick sH!7 house, expected to be abused, built strong, built to last. When yours breaks you will understand.

It might be worth machining some parts to spec to see what I might come up with. Change out that plastic with some stainless.
Boy I sure wish I knew what I did or said??

Don't have a problem with the lock on my 2012.
Are you slamming the door shut? There was another thread on this problem a while back and people were having a problem closing the door and were slamming it - which probably broke the lock.
The correct way to close the door is like way you had to close the door on the VW Beetles, since they were so airtight. You either had to crack the window a little or close the door rapidly, stop just before it made contact, then gently pushed the door the rest of the way and it closed and locked perfectly every time.

You are exactley correct! I met a guy at the TTRV this year that had a trike just like mine (imagine that). The first thing he ask me was do you have problems with your trunk lock? I showed him the proper way to shut the trunk and he was amazed. You cannot slam that door shut. All you have to do is give it a little push and the door is secure. I never lock mine.

Please, don't take that the wrong way, I do mean thank you. I guess I could treat the door more gently. I just expect better from HD considering the money spent. Sorry if that came across the wrong way.
Oh Heck I slammed mine at the beginning because one side would not lock..I have the 2010 Triglide. They changed the locks in 2011 ..So after making adjustments etc..I realized the dam button was sticking causing the door to pop open all the time. So now all is good.

As far as I am concerned that we need to stop outsourcing our parts..

Still not sure what I said you may have me confused with Gary???...LOL

trikermutha, we do look alike. ROFLMAO
Guess we can't use examples here. :Shrug:

So, if you spend more money you don't have any problems. I think I'm going to go buy a Cadillac and trade my GMC Terrain in because I don't want any problems any more.
When I bought a Harley - I expected to have a problem or two.

Nice wake up.

When I bought my 09 the lock was broken, chep plastic crap. Any way can some one here tell me just how in the blazes you get that retainer clip in?:mad:

Well this is a 4 year old thread, but the subject is still talked about. I am not sure if it was this board or the "other trike board", but there is a fairly new thread with a lot of info and repair pictures on one of them.

4 year old thread and I still read the problems with the rear door locks even on the newer models. :AGGHH:

Thought by now the problem would have a resolution or update. (Latch)

Wish I had a answer to help with the recent post about installing the clip.. :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png