Cruise Control Not Working...

Aug 24, 2009
Richland, WA
I own a 2008 Stallion, #353. Recently my wife & I took a trip and, while riding, I tried to activate the speed control. The dash light icon lit up when I activated the system but would not engage/hold the desired speed. Any ideas as to what to look at that might be amiss?

Before assuming it's the brake light switch, I would look at the cruise control cancel switch. It's under the bike, near the master cylinder; a blue and which switch with 2 wires that go to it. There is a bracket that depresses the plunger to activate/deactivate the cruise control. If your cruise light's coming on then this is probably your issue. The bracket can get bent by a rock, etc and prevent the cruise from activating.

The cruise self test procedure is the Ford test procedure, HOWEVER, if the cruise control cancel switch is not working, or the plunger is not being depressed, this test WILL NOT work because the switch is not functioning as it should or is detected the brake is applied because of the bracket being bent, this needs to be the first check before doing anything else. The self test will indicate a fault if this is the issue.

As far as my cruise control problems go, here's some additional info:

1) Cruise as previously mentioned does engage ( as evidenced by the dash icon lighting); cruise will disengage upon applying brakes (icon goes out)

2) Switch & plunger on bottom of rig looks OK (no obvious deformaties in either switch mounting bracket or plunger tang (that which engages/disengages plunger in switch)

I had the same issue on my 2010 and the test didn't help because I had no indication that the cruise control was even on. As it turned out the flange was bent and there was no contact for the signal a Ford dealer had to diagnose the problem.

deanone98

I had 4 or 5 of the BLUE -WHITE cruise switches changed out. they are not weather protected and on the ford ranger mounted high on the fire-wall. on the Stallion the BLUE-WHITE switch is mounted at the frame and therefor not very far off the ground.

in my case I live 1 mile off of a dirt road and dust would get inside the switch and it did not work after that.

end result was the changed out my master cylinder with one that had a built in switch that was weather proof.

the old type switch would last about 1,000 miles. I now have close to 50,000 miles and have not had a problem with cruise since the new master cylinder.

some of the things they did to the BLUE-WHITE switch was coat it with rubber cement, make a little metal box that surrounded it(not weather proof) but nothing worked until the master cylinder was changed out and the BLUE-WHITE switch was eliminated.

Anybody have the direct number to TBMS? Sounds to me that the current switch is hosed & I need to talk Nick into sending me a replacement integrated master cylinder/switch unit before my warranty runs out on Sunday (8/5).

Got your troubleshooting sheet, Heart Stopper - thanks.

The static test came up OK - passed. On the dynamic test, though, I could hear the servo attempting to pick up but no movement from the throttle. To satisfy my curiosity I ran this procedure on my '97 Ranger cruise control - not to my surprise, everything works as expected.

Could it be that my actuator cable is jammed? Hard to believe since the Stallion has only 7000 miles on her & has spent most of its life in the garage. My wife had an issue with it overheating a month or so ago that was the result of Fuse #27 blowing; this was after she had rode through a substantial downpour on the way to Seattle. Is there another fuse that might operate the speed control actuator? I've checked every fuse noted in the manual associated with speed control with a multimeter & they check out good.
Ideas?

Markie.. TBMS does not have an integrated master cylinder/switch unit. That sounds like an aftermarket unit someone installed. They use the factory ford master cylinder and it doesn't have the switch as a part of it.

i have a 2010 model, and a cruise problem I found was that when engaged the cruise control the light would come on but no cruise....i found that the cable end on the throddle intake was broken....i had to replace the cable itself....i also know that if the secondary brake/cruise control switch (blue and white in color) if it shorts out the fuse....it also stops the turn signals....both on the same fuse.....
Oddoman
# 667
Effingham, sc

if I remember correctly the new master cylinder/w/switch. they put on my Stallion so that they could get rid of the BLUE-WHITE switch.
the trade out of master cylinders was done at TBMS in Troup, I believe it was the original master cylinder from one of the older units, mine is an 2009 #538
the phone number for TBMS/Motor Trike is 1-888-783-3348

After further troubleshooting last evening it looks like the speed control actuator is not working. As mentioned in a previous post the static test portion of the Ford troubleshooting procedure showed as passed but the dynamic test (actuating the throttle) failed. Since the cable between the throttle body & the speed control actuator is mostly a sealed unit either or both of the following are potential faults:

1) Speed control actuator is faulty
2) Cabling between the actuator and brain box (behind panel under steering wheel) has an open.

When the test procedure tries to activate the throttle control in the dynamic test I can hear something picking up (a ~ 2-3 second high pitch sound) but no activity from the actuator. I have a call in to Rich @ Motor Trike to discuss my findings of this test & explore any possible additional testing &/or solutions to this problem. Good thing my warranty is still in effect until Sunday...

EDIT: Final resolution to my problem is that the speed control actuator (the control in the engine compartment) is faulty. Rich from TBMS/Motor Trike is sending me a replacement unit.

Thanks all who replied, and especially Heart Stopper for forwarding me the copy of the Speed Control troubleshooting steps.

re master cylinder

My name is JERRY i am new here ,i have an 08 stallion that run really well but the cruise control is driving me nuts, i just put a new blue a white switch in and had it to the ford dealer, they put a clock spring in .It ran great for about a week now it started going off when i hit a bump then it quit all together is there a master cylinder that i can get that has the cut off switch on the side and do away with the blue and white switch? Other than that and the right rear brake wearing out so fast i really love the bike and i like being on a forum with great folks that really like to help thanks for letting me come aboard and i look forward to hearing from you

thanks

JERRY V.

Re: re master cylinder

My name is JERRY i am new here ,i have an 08 stallion that run really well but the cruise control is driving me nuts, i just put a new blue a white switch in and had it to the ford dealer, they put a clock spring in .It ran great for about a week now it started going off when i hit a bump then it quit all together is there a master cylinder that i can get that has the cut off switch on the side and do away with the blue and white switch? Other than that and the right rear brake wearing out so fast i really love the bike and i like being on a forum with great folks that really like to help thanks for letting me come aboard and i look forward to hearing from you

thanks

JERRY V.

Welcome aboard. If you search our Stallion forum there is a thread on this subject. I posted it. I put a pressure brake switch in the rear brake line. Do a search for details. Not perfect but does the job.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png