Voyager Kits

I was skeptical of the Voyager Kits and had been sending Voyager buyers to Honda/Trike Shop/Voyager Trike dealer about 50 miles from us. After talking to several satisfied owners who had bought them along with a local retired state trooper who had logged 26,000 miles on his Ultra Classic Voyager, I decided to test ride a few. I was expecting the worst and wanted to add some ammunition to my rebuttal to potential Voyager buyers, but was surprised at how stable they were. I didnt experience the instability some have talked about.

I became a dealer about five months ago and have done an `07 Harley Ultra (for member bdn56 here), a couple of Gold Wings (including member's bike) and a VTX-1800. So far all have been happy. Voyager says the biggest problem they encounter is improper setup and suspension pre-load. This can effect the handling of the bike in a big way. The other thing is using LocTite on every nut and bolt during installation. Obviously not doing so can cause bolts to loosen and fall off or break off due to flex and torque loading. I figure they have been in business for a long time and have thousands of them on the road so theyre doing something right. Voyager is still the best selling kit of its type by a big margin.

Not trying to sell anyone on the Voyager kit, as I prefer the handling, looks and safety of the full trike conversions, but for those who cant or dont want to invest $12-$15K in a full trike conversion, or want the ability to quickly remove/re-install their trike kit, a properly installed Voyager is an option. Just my 2 cents.

P.S.- We have adjusted or re-installed several Voyager kits that were improperly installed by their owners. I am seeing most of the poor-handling trikes being the ones installed by people who are not at all mechanically minded or dont know how to install them with the proper pre-load. It only costs $200-250 to have one professionally assembled and installed from scratch.

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm back::)
I've been busy with building trikes and want to talk about the Voyager, I have an older unit, they Voyager is a good product and if you take care of it it will last. I have had many people coming to me for different problems ranging from a poorly installed unit to needing the preload reset. I have clients who want the Voyager over regular trikes, mainly its a $$$ thing and for others it is they have a bike that no trike kit is available for. Hey, there's something for everybody.
Trike Lady

I have the Danson kit and find it very stable in turns, very little lean, would be hard to get wheel to lift, will drive straight hands off, rough roads and pot holes do not upset the handling which from what I read happpenes to a lot of regular trikes. Mine is smooth, but I did a lot of suspension upgrades which helped and have a car tire on back of bike. When I was researching for a kit for my Burgman I read a lot of bad reports on the Voyager and decided it was not the way to go, would hate to have the wheel lift in turn, mine has very little lean and people tell me they cannot see it lean in corners when they are following me, but I have the wheels set down further to compensate for that. A true trike is next and if it drives as good as the danson I will be very happy. Wayne

Voyager trike

Hello all,:)
On the Voyager you can control how much lean the unit has by changing the pre-load. By using 3/4" instead of 1/2" you will get less lean or if you wanted more lean use 1/4". I normally work with many factors for setting the pre-load of the unit; the drivers weight, trailer towing, if they're carrying a passenger. If you have an onboard air compressor set the air shocks on the Gold Wing 1500 to about 47. The wheel that comes off the ground is a normal function of the Voyager and that can be found in the install manual for the unit (I didn't make it up). If you call the manufacturer they will tell you the same. The unit is safe and like anything maintenance is the key to long product life and user safety. I have one of their older unit and it serves me well everyday I ride the Gold Wing to and from work, I make sure that I perform regular maintenance and that the bearing receivers are well greased(rainy season in Florida and puddles are everywhere).
Thank you,
Trike Lady

I called Voyager when i started looking at kits and they told me that they lean to the inside in a corner and I said that is not possible, they will tell you any thing to sell them, thats the way it seem to be when I was talking to them, I talked to some one else ther and they said that was not right, they should get their stories right first time, seems you have to pry the info out of them. Wayne

Wayne, I agree. I too looked at Voyager. Figured I would wait till I could get a trike. So that was the best thing I did. Very happy with the CSC conversion on my Goldwing. Was not happy with the research information I got on the Voyager. To each his own. Some are happy with them. I know I would have not been a happy customer.

To me it was the cost factor. Having been riding a tryke i had no problem with the voyager. I think that is a problem for those coming off the 2 wheels.
Zook did a great job mounting it. It holds true & straight. I did loose some ground clearance, and the rear tire is a b**** to check for air pressure. I do check the bolts for tightness. With out the kit i would not be able to say i love my wing.

To the Voyager People I recently installed a kit on my wife's 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. I like the ride, handles fine and will see how the wife likes it soon. She is getting up her nerve, as she has never really rode a bike much yet.
I did want to ask a question from the experienced Voyager riders. I did a 1/4" preload as instructed. When going over bumps, it does seem to ratlle alot,( seems to be at the rear fork links). Is this normal for the Voyager? Should I change it to a 1/2 - 3/4" preload?

Thank you! :confused:

To the Voyager People I recently installed a kit on my wife's 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. I like the ride, handles fine and will see how the wife likes it soon. She is getting up her nerve, as she has never really rode a bike much yet.
I did want to ask a question from the experienced Voyager riders. I did a 1/4" preload as instructed. When going over bumps, it does seem to ratlle alot,( seems to be at the rear fork links). Is this normal for the Voyager? Should I change it to a 1/2 - 3/4" preload?

Thank you! :confused:

Bill, I changed my preload from 1/2 to 3/4 to help with the leaning outward on curves. To solve the shaking and rattling over bumps, I lowered the pressure in the rear tires (I think it was 22lbs) and put the rear shocks in the most rearward position. Much better handling and ride. I put over 4000 miles on it last summer and loved it:D

I have the new Voyager kit on my 1991 GoldWing Anaversery bike and I love it. You have to understand one thing about this kit. One, if you put it on your self or have someone do it it may not handle like it would if you had it done at the Voyager Company. If you have the kit put on at the shop, not only is it done right but Gary will take you out and teach you how to handle the bike. This is VERY IMPORTANT. I went to the shop in Ottowa Ill. and it was well worth it. Yes it took me 3 hous to get there from Milwaukee Wis. but I learnt so much from Gary on how to handle the trike. He will have you turning corners on a dime. He will make you do this and if you don't turn the bars enough he will grab the bars and pull them right into your stomach to make you turn as sharp as you can. The bike will not turn over. Yes I have put the inside wheel up. The kit is made to do this. You want this to happen so the stress is not so great on the frame. People don't under stand this. You will not leave that shop untill you learn how to handle your bike. I had to ride 100 miles back home and by the time I got home I sure knew how to handle the bike. My wife had know problems with riding as a passenger but my daughter did have a problem. With ALL trikes, the trike will follow the curve of the road. Our roads here in Wisconsin are crowned so when I make a turn to the left in an intersection the bike will feel like it will roll over. IT WILL NOT. But that is the feeling the passenger gets. The rider will get used to it after a while. In the turns the front feels a little heavy on the handle bars but that feeling will only last a while and you will get uses to it as well. And then you will not notice it. I love my kit!!! I have gotten alot of complaments on it. So have your kit put on at a dealer this is a big help and hopefully they will teach you how handle the bike before you leave to go home like Gary did at Voyager Company it self. Dennis.

I also had one for a year on a 750 automatic i loved it. But like wingtriker he is absolutely correct you really have to go to the factory or a "experienced" installer not some one who is learning or does 1-2 a year. I got mine because i had located a automatic bike and there arent exactly any conversions for 1977 honda's
they do handle different and you need the teaching lesson in order to understand.

As a newbie, and someone who has yet to get their first trike, I have found this forum to be invaluable. What great information for anyone!
I am going to a trike because of two bike wrecks in the past 1 1/2 years, and due to the medical bill backlog I probably am going to go the insta-trike or voyager route on my '07 Yamaha Road Star Silverado. I have looked at the Gold Wings and Harleys, but they are out of the picture right now simply because of money.
Two people in my general riding group ride trikes. One has the voyager on a Kawasaki and the other is a Gold Wing CSC. I generally follow them when riding, as they are realy OLD (I'm 68, they are both 70) and I want to watch them. I can easily keep up with them with my two wheeler, but only by pushing a little harder than I like, and dragging a floorboard quite often.
At my last accident, they both negotiated the turn without incident (didn't even notice the gravel), and I laid my bike down with some pretty bad results. I'll be in a neck brace at least until spring. My point is, I have ridden both of their trikes, and each has a different feel, but I didn't get the bad feelings that are expressed here. Of course they seem to lean out on curves, so does my car. I have noticed that both of these men lean their bodies into the curve, even though the GW rider denies it. It is simple geometry, and unless you are sliding wheels, it should not be a problem.
When I got my first two wheel cruiser, it took awhile to get used to the speed, weight and response of that bike, even though I had ridden smaller bikes for years. Also different tires or air pressure or even additional load on the two wheeler can change the attitude of the rider quickly.
Any way, just wanted to add my 2 cents and encourage everyone to keep the information and advice coming. I'm having a great time, with my bike still in the shop, and am really excited about whatever trike or kit I get.

ricle, Yes you do tend to lean a little even though a trike doesn't. It just cancels the feeling of getting thrown off. You probably have noticed that the voyager bike does lean a bit in the corners while the GW CSC does not. Just a different ride because of the different kit. A good triker will keep up with the 2 wheelers all day long.

Yes, I did some difference between the lean of the Voyager and not on the GW. I attributed that to the fact that Voyager outriggers have to have less down pressure than the drive wheel, so there is a little bit of flex when you lean to the outside wheel. I have not ridden a wing with the independent rear suspension. Do they have any of the lean, and if not, I wonder why? Even a four-wheel vehicle will lean to the outside of a turn.
Not trying to argue, just trying to understand why. Really what I need is to quit thinking and get back to riding.

The voyager lean is by design. The way that it attaches allows the lean. The others would only lean if there were enough upper weight to cause the suspension to compress from the weight shift. Most of the weight on trikes in so low that the weight shift and then suspension compression is miminial. You feel the cars lean because of the roof weight.

After riding both Ind rear and solid axle for quite a few miles I come to this conclusion
1) The biggest difference is in the ride,the ind rear is softer.
2) The ind rear does not steer as hard as a solid rear trike. ( making the rake not as much a necessity ) IMHO
The solid rear corners more solid than an ind rear until you get use to it.

No, to answer your question,the ind rear does not lean any more than any other trike

Great information and opinions. I'm sure with many of us it all boils down to personal comfort and/or money. I am still watching prices on trikes and haven't made any decision yet, but money is going to play a part without a doubt.
As we go into winter, it seems prices are dropping a little on the trikes, but that also is a catch 22, as I need to sell my bike if I'm going to get a trike, and this is a bad time of year to sell it. I could get a trike kit for the Yamaha, but I'm not comfortable with installing it myself, and I'm a few hundred miles from any dealer that installs them.

See if you can talk them into a pick up and delivery . Times like thes they may do it to get the sale .;)

Re: New here

Hi All

I am new to the site and there is a lot of good info here. I cant afford a traditional trike, so I will get getting an alternate. For the last month I have been asking questions about the insta-trike and the voyager.

Insta-trike seems like a good product, however for my VTX 1300R I will be
limited to the amount of bikes I can change to if I get another bike or if I want to sell it. I think there were 7 Bikes total.

For the voyager it cost a little more but I will have options of over 15 bikes if I want to get another bike or sell the product. The only complaints I have run
into is about the wheel coming up on turns, bottom out or in proper set up. Other then that most people I talked to recommend the voyager. Hope to have it within two weeks.

Re: New here

Hey Joey. Welcome to TrikeTalk! Sounds like you have done a lot of research. You will be fine with the Voyager. It will make a huge difference to have it properly installed, so be sure to take the time to get it done right. But many folks use and enjoy them for many years. You will love it! Take time to adjust to it and be comfortable on it with cornering and maneuvering. It won't take long to get the feel of it, and then you'll be off and running :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png