Disaster ride, Stator hub, voltage regulator went out!

Apr 5, 2012
GREENSBURG
Is anyone having trouble with the charging system? Wanted to get away for an overnighter so loaded the trike and headed for Cooks Forest for some fun. We made it 84 miles and started having charging problems, stopped at Walmart, no start called tow service took it to Harley shop for repair! They put on computer then took her apart and found Stator hub lost a magnet and is jammed along with the voltage regulator fried! Is this a common problem only have 4,000 miles. Been riding Harley's for 40 years this is the first bike I ever had to tow? Beginning to wonder.

No problem with Stator yet, but had to have my voltage regulator replaced right after my 1000 mile service, it started at the rally in Maggie Valley NC, but we had trailered it there, so I waited untill we got home to take it to the dealer, HD does have a issue with the voltage regulators on the 2012 touring models, I recieved a letter from HD informing me about the problem a month after getting mine fixed.

I dont think its common but it happened to me on my RK several years ago. Those magnets can come off occassionly. Get it fixed and don't worry. My RK has been riden 4 years now without it happening again.

We are in Spearfish, South Dakota right now. We left Ohio 2 weeks ago heading for Las Vegas. Problems with the charging system stated las Monday at Red lodge, Montana. We had to truck the trike ( 2011 triglide) to Billings and they changed the voltage regulator. The next day we made it to Sheredan, Wyoming before it quit again.I pulled all the fuses that I could and made it to Gillete. They also changed the voltage regulator. Yesterday we were heading for Devils Tower and it quit for the third time. We repeated the same procedure and made it to Sundance, Wyoming. This time they changed the regulator and the stator. So far so good. Tomorrow we start for home in Ohio. I'll let you know if we made it. A real vacation from hell. I have spent a total of 12 hours sitting in Harley shops. We just turned over 29,000 miles on the bike.

Gary

I am sure a lot of riders out there are having the same problem! It really sucks to have your vacation spent at the Harley shop! We were Lucky, only 84 miles away so we could go home and wait until they fix the trike! To date we are still waiting for the factory to send a rotor. Looking forward to hearing is it going to last. Bill

My stator went at about 10k, if I remember correctly. Got home night before from 400 mile, 8 hr ride, late at night. Was able to ride it to HD. That has been good since. Noticed recently charging didn't seem as good at 43k. Was in for service. They found voltage regulator bad after I told them to check it. That was close. It was on verge of going. This is a '10 TG for enquiring minds.

Had the voltage regulator start going out by showing the battery and engine warning light and then the lights would go out. Was 35 miles from HD dealer when it finally did quit. Made it to the shop and had it replaced in about an hour. That day it was 108 degrees and was riding in the heat. Asked if heat played a factor in the failure and service seemed to think so. Ride safe, Mike

Tell you what I'm seeing, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this: You turn your Bike/Trike off for whatever reason & it won't start, maybe a few times before this you may have thought it was slow cranking over. Well I believe the problem lies in the lead that they are useing in the batteries now. When they get hot & heat up the battery posts are expanding and your connections are being lost. I know your all thinking I've been out in the Sun to long but before you write this off, next time you have a problem, think of tightening up the cables....it works for me. Tis

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png