Seating Position

rmrc51

Lost In The 50's
Feb 2, 2009
Palmyra, Virginia
I don't know about most of you, but I have one heck of a time being comfortable on the Valkyrie with it's standard seating position having your feet straight down as compared to being stretched out in front of you like other bikes. :(

Maybe it's my physical makeup, but I find that I have to force my feet to face fully forward instead of their normal outboard position in order to work the shifter and/or press on the rear brake and that's really uncomfortable!! So much so it has caused me to develop cramps in my hip. Recently, I tried mounting a GoldWing Trike and found that I have the same problem due to the Wings seating position. (which is basically the same as the Valkyrie)

I've ordered the Interstate Forward Controls from Barry of Big Bike Things in the hope that these add-ons will correct my issue.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem/discomfort and what did you do? I love my Valk but in it's standard configuration, riding is a painful and possibly dangerous experience!

I have never heard of the FC for a Honda . Can U post the WEB site were U found them ?

John,

Here's the link;

Big Bike Things : Valkyrie Accessories

These are made for the Valkyrie. He makes two different kinds.

"Forward Controls" which basically mount on the top of the engine guards and "Interstate Forward Controls" (which I'm getting) that mount just above the headers and forward from your standard foot pegs/floor boards.

From what I've been told the Forward Controls are for really big fellas who have long legs.

I've found a few fellas on the VRCC (Valkyrie Riders Cruisers Club) site that have these installed and they swear by them. Hope I'll feel the same way! :)

I see how it works the Brake is pretty much straight forward extension. the shifter is quite complicated. Neither would clear the crash rails and fairing on the Gold wing.

I don't know about most of you, but I have one heck of a time being comfortable on the Valkyrie with it's standard seating position having your feet straight down as compared to being stretched out in front of you like other bikes. :(

Maybe it's my physical makeup, but I find that I have to force my feet to face fully forward instead of their normal outboard position in order to work the shifter and/or press on the rear brake and that's really uncomfortable!! So much so it has caused me to develop cramps in my hip. Recently, I tried mounting a GoldWing Trike and found that I have the same problem due to the Wings seating position. (which is basically the same as the Valkyrie)

I've ordered the Interstate Forward Controls from Barry of Big Bike Things in the hope that these add-ons will correct my issue.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem/discomfort and what did you do? I love my Valk but in it's standard configuration, riding is a painful and possibly dangerous experience!

I guess it is what you get used to. Having been weaned on BMWs, I find the feet forward position uncomfortable except for occasionally resting one leg or the other on peg for a few minutes to stretch. I don't feel comfortable without my feet under me. the position also allows one to 'post' when confronting a bump and to stand occasionally.

Rich...I agree with you about the longer term comfort with the standard pegs. On the open road I often adjust my position by putting my feet up on the crash bars on my Valk. I tried some Kuryakyn pegs mounted on the bars, but found them just too widely spaced for my old hips! It looks like the forward controls will need some leg length as well! I bought an Ultimate Seat, which did help some, comfort wise. However the best improvement was a set of stretches that I got from a Physio, to loosen up the back, legs, and hips, prior to riding, and that really has helped me. Maybe something to do with my age!!??

I also have the Ultimate seats and have a set of highway pegs on the engine guards as well.

My problem is trying to operate the shifter and rear brake pedal. I find that just trying to turn my foot to face completely forward in order to catch either control is very difficult and a bit painful for me. That's why I'm hoping that these forward controls will be the answer.

When I had my big Suzuki Intruder, my foot position was forward and I had no problem shifting. Kinda like the same riding position as the Harleys'.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png