Suspension Issue

Apr 12, 2012
Indio, CA
My front wheel on my 09' ABS stallion does not sit square on the ground. It is tilted slightly to the right side. This appears to be caused by the rear suspension not being equal or balanced. For example, the frame just in front of the rear tire is 1/2" lower to the ground on the right side then it is on the left side. It is hardly noticeable from the rear, but there is no doubt that the front wheel is not flat on the ground. The tire is starting to show a bit more wear along the right side edge then the left side. (the trike has 6500 miles on it.) I am sure that handling is being effected, tire wear, as well as safety, and it bugs me. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
Some history: My trike has new ladder bars that were installed at the factory just before I took possession. I have checked the spring settings on all shocks and they are set equally. The air ride was repaired for being leaky at the factory, and holds air perfectly now.<br />
<br />
I have a lift in my garage and visually everything appears normal: nothing bent or broken that I can see.

<br /><br />
<br /><br />
I am very mechanical and fix anything with a little guidance from someone in the know. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
I am no suspension expert, and can take it that route if I have to.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
What is causing this?<br /><br />
<br /><br />
What do I need to do the level out my trike?<br /><br />
<br /><br />
Thank you.

the ladder bars were not adjusted correctly.<br />
on the rear above the axle is where the ladder bars are attached, there are 2 connections on either side of the axle, one above the other.<br />
you can pick the side you want to adjust, left or right.<br />
loosen the ladder on the side you want to adjust, not real easy to do.<br />
I do not remember which is adjusted for which, you can rotate the top (looks like eye bolt) (to the left or right) and it will raise or lower the wheel in relationship to the body or it will move the wheel front to back. what ever the top one does the bottom will do the other. if the top moves the wheel up or down then the bottom will move the wheel front to back or vice versa.<br />
I have done this after my ladder assys were changed out.<br />
<br />
as far as the front wheel goes if you are faced straight ahead the wheel should be straight up and down and flat on the ground, if you are all the way to the left or right it will be tilted.

Thank you. Now I am headed in the right direction. If anyone can fine tune this info so I won't have so much trial and error, I would appreciate it.

I talked to the tech at the dealership I got mine from, in Texas so go to Troup if you want to take it.<br />
since you said the right side is the low side that is the side you want to adjust.<br />
the higher you get it off the ground the easier it is to get to. you need to get to the ladder assy on the right side so pull the right side tire off and you will see the ladder tied to the axle and above it.<br />
now for the fun part, pull both bolts out that attache the ladder to the axle.<br />
now you get to push the right side of the axle to the rear of the trike enough to free the ladder assy.<br />
the upper leg of the ladder will move the wheel to the front or to the back.<br />
the lower leg of the ladder will move the wheel up or down.<br />
rotate the heim assy (looks like the eye bolt), put it back togeather.<br />
do not remember if rotate left or right for raise or lower.

Silverdevil,

OK, now we are talking.

I have a two post lift so this will be no big deal.

It makes perfect sense because just by visually checking all connections, they are definitely adjusted differently.

I will work on this and get back to you. Thanks for sticking with it and helping me out.

-Shawn

On the same subject, I was riding yesterday after a few days in the hospital I heard a pop from under the rear end area. I got the trike off the road and noticed you can tilt the back of the trike side to side. I thought I might be able to get it home but after a block or two I decided to get the trailer to get it home. Anyone out there have a problem like this? Is it the ladder bar like up above or something else? I just haven't felt well enough to get under it so I can check it out. Any ideas on what to look for will be appreciated.

There is a horizontal rod that attaches to the upper frame on the left side, with the top of the right side ladder bar. It is under a lot of tension and seems to stabilize and support the rear of the trike. That could be your culprit.

Ed, is one side lower than the other, look at the rear wheels, if you try to go over 20 or so MPH are you about to lose control? <br />
if this is so the front heim joint broke on the low side.<br />
you have no choice but to get it to a stallion dealer, ford dealer would not know what to do unless TBMS can talk a ford dealer through it.<br />
<br />
could also be the piece that Stallionshawn said in the message above this one.

I got under the trike last night and I could see the ladder bar on the right side looks like it is broken at the front where it connects to the frame. I called my dealer over in TN where I bought the Stallion and gave him what I had found and he called Nick at TB Motorsports, he said they would cover the parts to get me going. Hope this doesn't take too long I still have at least one more good trip planned for this summer. <br />
<br />
A thanks goes toTB Motorsports for taking care of your customers.<br />
<br />
Ed

On the same subject, I was riding yesterday after a few days in the hospital I heard a pop from under the rear end area. I got the trike off the road and noticed you can tilt the back of the trike side to side. I thought I might be able to get it home but after a block or two I decided to get the trailer to get it home. Anyone out there have a problem like this? Is it the ladder bar like up above or something else? I just haven't felt well enough to get under it so I can check it out. Any ideas on what to look for will be appreciated.

Ed
what kind of trailer do you have that pulls your stallion? where did you get it?

Hi we just got through installing the ladders to our 2008 stallion trike same thing happened we had to have it hauled in TMS sent us a replacement within two days and it took us over twelve hours to install the new ones we took it for a test drive and it's doing great the people at TMS were great and walked us through the procedure hope you get it repaired but I agree a ford dealership would not be able to do this my husband and son are top mechanics and even they had difficulty the people at Troup would be the ones to do it

I had my ladder bars changes out at TMS on one of my trips thru Texas and they did it in a few hours, if you schedule the work, and when I lowered my front shock setting one click, tire pressure down to 38/39 it now rides like a Caddy compared to the factory settings.

Tomg

Finally got the Stallion back on the road, Plan on making the trip to Rogers, AR the last week of September for the bike show and I see where TBM is going to be there. Hope to be able to talk to someone about some other little problems I'm having. Anyway is't great to be back out enjoying the great weather we are having now.

Hi I am also having problem with the front tire the right side is beating out and we also changed the ladder bars out a month ago so next step is getting under there to see what's going on from what you guys are saying it could be an adjustment appreciate any feed back.

I had the front tire wear down on the right side and found it to be the left fork tube bearing was going out. Every time I hit the brakes it would let the front tire shift a little, the bearing finally went out completely and I had to be towed in.
You might want to take a look at those bearings.

Darrell Stallion #159

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png