hello / G'Day from Australia

Aug 30, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Hi im Jeff..My wife and i are planning to holiday in the USA next year. Our plan is to buy an HD trike (fairly new) in New Orleans, or somewhere around that area, and ride up through to Chicago , Milwaukee , cross to South Dakota for Sturgis and then through yellowstone and the canyons to monument valley, los vegas, , San Francisco and down to LA, then take the trike home with us. <br />
we figure as its such a long ride the trike would be a perfect bike , and at home the ability to carry luggage would make our weekends away easier. <br />
<br />
we have noted though there are a lot of complaints about the heating issue though.<br />
how bad is it really and is there an easy remedy?<br />
noted also people have said there has been no change to the 2013 trike.<br />
dont HD see the heat issue as a problem?<br />
as we would be traveling in JULY and August 2013 it will be pretty hot over there, not that we arent used to heat here in sunny Queensland. but if the bike is hot it can make travel less enjoyable.<br />
Any thoughts or remedies would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TrikeTalk! What a wonderful trip you have planned! <br />
You are correct about July and August being hot months, but I'm not sure any hotter than the Aussie summers are. There are remedies to help the heat from the engine, which many of the TriGlide owners here will give you expert advice on. Or you may want to consider buying a low-miles conversion instead of a TriGlide so that you can get right out on the road without taking the time and extra money.

I have done nothing to modify my '10 TG. I've gone 45,000 miles on it. Unless I am sitting in traffic (Chicago & LA), the heat doesn't bother me. Just pack a couple of frosty Fosters and you won't feel like a Shrimp on the Barbie (too many Aussie references???).
Sounds like you have a good trip planned. Enjoy and welcome to Trike Talk.

Welcome to Trike Talk from Central VA!

As Nana mentioned, our summers here are probably very comparable to yours. And as far as the Harley heating issues, just give this post a little while longer to be read and I'm sure all of the Harley owners will chime in with their recommendations. From what I've read, you can definitely address the heating characteristics of the Tri-Glide. Sounds like a great trip you have planned! ThumbUp

Do you really have your heart and mind set on a Harley? Have you considered a Goldwing to avoid many of the frequently-mentioned HD problems? Ask around before you commit. We took a similar trip a couple of years ago and had ZERO problems with our Wing. Just be certain before you invest.

Maybe when you're here the 2014's will be out and maybe Harley will have addressed some of the issues with the heat, etc. Don't know how early Harley releases the following years models for sale but would be really nice for you to have a 2014 to take home :)

Welcome to TT, from Northeast Pennsylvania. Glad you are here!!! Dont think Harley will ever fix the heat issue until they come out with a watercooled engine. Only thing you can do is endure the heat or dont ride it during those months :(

Enjoy and Ride Safe!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png