Road Trip!!!!!

Apr 13, 2008
Ohio
It's a long, holiday weekend. The sun is shining and the humidity is low. Guess what that means..... ROAD TRIP!!!!

Mickey (to differentiate him from our son-in-law :)) and I, joined by our daughter Kim and her Mike on their Kawasaki Nomad headed out on an adventure at 8:30 this morning. Today was the longest riding day we expect to have, as we used it just to get from Springboro, OH to Mackinaw City, MI--509 miles. The rest of the weekend we will ride shorter distances, and explore and enjoy whatever the Upper Peninsula has to offer us. Mickey is counting on that including fresh fudge :p.

We just checked into the little Bell's Melody Motel in Mackinaw City. It is right on the beach on Lake Huron with a great view of the Mackinaw Bridge that we will be crossing in the morning. The parking lot here is filled with motorcycles, as was the highway coming up this way, so obviously we weren't the only ones with ROAD TRIP on our mind!

Photos:

Loaded and ready to pull out from Kim and Mike's house

In front of motel room

Parking lot

Lake Huron from the motel room

Mackinaw Bridge from the motel

Sunrise over Lake Huron and the Mackinaw Bridge...... It's going to be a beautiful day!

Sunrise over Lake Huron and the Mackinaw Bridge...... It's going to be a beautiful day!

I rode (I mean walked) my '01 GL1800 across the Mackinaw Bridge once. Had a serious side wind and just couldn't keep it upright. Talk about being "white knuckled"!!!!

Even with that experience I have to admit it is beautiful up there in the UP.

This was Kim and Mike's first time motorcycling on the Mackinaw Bridge, so she armed herself with the camera on the pillion seat of their bike, prepared to document the event as her mom and dad were swept off the bridge and into the lake waaaaaayyy below by the gale force winds.
Didn't happen..... sorry to disappoint..... :AllGood:

We apparently found the perfect time to conquer the Mackinaw Bridge -- 8:30 a.m. on a crisp, clear, sunny morning in early September! There was just a light breeze, and other than a couple on a motorcycle way ahead of us, the four of us were the only ones on the bridge! The two 2-wheelers opted to cross on the paved lane, but I wasn't about to miss out on the opportunity to peek down at the water below through the grating. After all, I had my sturdy three wheels under me, and trips like this are supposed to be an adventure. Trikes rock! Just sayin'.

I know we are in the Upper Peninsula at an ideal time of year (It won't be long until they have something like 300 inches of snow here, and it wasn't long ago when it was steaming hot and the black flies and mosquitos were taking large chunks of flesh from the tourists who stopped along the lakeshore for a picnic), but right now the weather is perfect!

We had a leisurely ride following Lake Michigan's shoreline for an hour or so, then turned north into Lake Superior's region and into the town of Munising. Mackinaw City is a charming tourist town. Munising is a charming Upper Peninsula town where locals live and work and eat and play. Tourists definitely come here, but it seems to be for the area, not for shopping in the town. The scenery draws many to the falls, lake views, hiking, fishing, etc. There are literally thousands of old shipwrecks in Lake Superior, and divers come from all over to explore the wrecks, and dive shops offer their services with scuba equipment rental and guided diving trips.

We ate "pasties" for lunch --- VERY satisfying! --- and then we opted for the glass bottomed boat tour out over three wrecks. It was a marvelous two-hour tour of this section of the lake where we got to soak in the incredible natural beauty, get a little verbal history from the captain and crew, and then be awed by the views of the three, very different wrecks. Although the lake averages something like 400 feet in depth, these wrecks were in 25' or less of water and relatively close to the shoreline. One ship is less than 6 feet below the level of our tour boat, and with the crystal clear water we could even see the details like nails in the timbers! I loved every minute of it!

Chuckle for today:
Everywhere we stop, we have been approached by at least one person with questions about the V-rod trike. Several times someone has come into a restaurant from the parking lot looking around for obvious riders in the place, and then they approach to ask if one of us own it. They have consistently been positive, polite, fascinated, want permission to take pictures, etc. It has become an automatic response from Mickey, Kim, and Mike to simply turn and point to me when someone comes up and says: "Who rides the…."

So, we are sitting in a bar and grill and a gentleman in his 60s approaches with, "Who rides the….." and all three turn to me. Then he finishes with "Nomad" and we all start grinning and turn to Mike, only to see a shocked/pained/bewildered look on his face as he hesitantly says he is the owner. The gentleman begins an animated conversation about how he loves his own Nomad, how well it handles, and all sorts of positive things about how sharp Mike's bike is. After a pleasant chat, the man wishes us all a great ride and leaves us to our meal.

We turn to Mike who says: "First of all, I was stunned that he didn't ask about your trike. EVERYONE asks about the trike! So, when he said "Nomad", all I could think was that he was going to tell me he was sorry, but he had backed his Big A$$ truck over it in the parking lot. I mean, what else could it be---and I was starting to panic!"
We all burst out laughing….. :Crap:

Second chuckle for the day:
You KNOW you are in a small town when the motel check-in procedure goes as pictured below. Yup, we were in #4 ....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png