Quebec's Law

Jan 29, 2012
Dover, NH USA
I may be planning a trip to Quebec next summer, but I heard Quebec's law may change this:
Trikes are not allowed through the USA/Quebec border if they do not have a hand break.
Is this true?
I also heard if you want to enter Quebec, then go to USA/Ontario border and come in there because Onterio does not have such a law and then ride into Quebec.
Thanks for your information.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I've heard that also. Can't confirm. You can always rig up some kind of fake handle, right? I find the smaller border crossings to be staffed by nicer people. You might want to avoid the big ones.

I didn't have a problem going into Ontario.
Would that be too far out of your way?

Just saw where you're from. I guess it would be out of your way, unless you crossed at Cornwall, Ont.

I didn't have a problem going into Ontario.
Would that be too far out of your way?

Just saw where you're from. I guess it would be out of your way, unless you crossed at Cornwall, Ont.

GrayD
It would be about 3 hours more driving without stops. So, it would be a ways away if I had to go that route.
The best would be a straight shot to Quebec through Maine, but I need to know the law before I head out. I hate to get there and they tell me I can't get in. That would be the pits!
Thanks.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I may be planning a trip to Quebec next summer, but I heard Quebec's law may change this:
Trikes are not allowed through the USA/Quebec border if they do not have a hand break.
Is this true?
I also heard if you want to enter Quebec, then go to USA/Ontario border and come in there because Onterio does not have such a law and then ride into Quebec.
Thanks for your information.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I'm a little thick. What kind of hand brake are they looking for. Does the front brake lever count? Does the parking brake count? Even their own (Spyder) has a front hand brake and a foot rear brake.

I'm a little thick. What kind of hand brake are they looking for. Does the front brake lever count? Does the parking brake count? Even their own (Spyder) has a front hand brake and a foot rear brake.

Jim,
I am not looking for a hand break. Some model trike kits come with a hand break you can set so the trike will not roll. My Hannigan does not have a hand break therefore if the law in Quebec says, All trikes must have a hand break, then I will not be able to enter the province.
Sorry for the confusion.
I was hopping a native from Quebec who has a trike would be able to clear this matter for me.

Reagrds,

Rosy
From NH

The spyder only has a foot brake that activates all 3 wheels.'
BRP was adamant about NOT having a hand brake They want to distance the spyder from a motorcycle that's why BRP calls the spyder a Roadster!! And not a motorcycle or a trike.

The spyder only has a foot brake that activates all 3 wheels.'
BRP was adamant about NOT having a hand brake They want to distance the spyder from a motorcycle that's why BRP calls the spyder a Roadster!! And not a motorcycle or a trike.

rhino,
When you register the Spyder to get license plates, what do you register as, roadster, car, motorcycle, or trike?

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I'm confused. When I read "hand brake" I'm thinking of the right hand lever which typically operates the front wheel brake (or possibly both front and rear if linked). Now I thinking your talking about a Parking Brake which is an option on some trike kits.

If you need a parking brake, perhaps something like THIS would suffice. Squeeze the front brake lever and wrap strap around the lever and hand grip - whala - a parking brake. I've also seen it done using a heavy plastic zip tie (wire tie) "pre-zipped" to the proper loop size for easy on/off and re-use.

Rosy, Took a ride from northern NH to Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada last fall. Crossed at Canaan, VT. Nothing was said about our Hannigan trike. In fact going to Canada was easier than returning. On return, border guard asked to look into the trunks of our trike. No problems!

Looks like Ontario is strict:

30. I will be driving through Ontario on my way to another province. Does my
motor tricycle have to conform to Ontario’s motor tricycle equipment standards?

• Yes. The absence of any of the following motor tricycle equipment could result in a chargeable offence: ◦ A tire of a size or type intended for a motor tricycle;
◦ A manufacturer’s label indicating compliance with federal motor tricycle standards (for two-front wheel configurations);
◦ A manufacturer’s label indicating compliance with federal motor tricycle standards if more than two seating positions;
◦ Two federally compliant mirrors; and
◦ An adequate parking brake.

Motor Tricycles - FAQ

Im from Manitoba and I no nothin about a law as such...Im pretty sure < YOU being from the USA , it wouldnt matter if you had one or not...The border people dont check your unit for anything other than illegal items etc, They dont inspect your ride at all, or for that matter, they wouldnt even no anything about it..In Ont they are pretty heavy on tickets for going over the posted 90km speed limit tho...Hope this helps ya..Hb

Some (NOT All-not sure of which specific ones) Provinces of Canada require a seperate (from the bike's OEM brake system) mechanical brake assembly containing a dedicated caliper (can utilize the existing bike's rotor) and pads that is manually engaged and disengaged by seperate control as well. The Parking Brake assembly only has to function on one of the rear wheels (The U.K. requires it to activate seperate assemblies on BOTH rear wheels).
This requirement only applies to units installed and/or registered in those Provinces of Canada and not for units registered in other Provinces or Countries. However, as anyone that has made any or numerous crossings or lives in Canada will attest-Individual interpretations of that or any laws are the key and to argue that with the "Interpretor" is futile and costly.

Rosy, Took a ride from northern NH to Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada last fall. Crossed at Canaan, VT. Nothing was said about our Hannigan trike. In fact going to Canada was easier than returning. On return, border guard asked to look into the trunks of our trike. No problems!

LL, (Leo Lobster),
Thanks for the info I will try and cross, but like they said in another thread, it is who reads into the law.
Hey, what were you doing stopping at a Farm store, they don't carry lobsters there! AHHAHAHAHHA :D
Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Rosy

Some (NOT All-not sure of which specific ones) Provinces of Canada require a seperate (from the bike's OEM brake system) mechanical brake assembly containing a dedicated caliper (can utilize the existing bike's rotor) and pads that is manually engaged and disengaged by seperate control as well. The Parking Brake assembly only has to function on one of the rear wheels (The U.K. requires it to activate seperate assemblies on BOTH rear wheels).
This requirement only applies to units installed and/or registered in those Provinces of Canada and not for units registered in other Provinces or Countries. However, as anyone that has made any or numerous crossings or lives in Canada will attest-Individual interpretations of that or any laws are the key and to argue that with the "Interpretor" is futile and costly.

Veritas44,
Thanks for the info. Like I told Leo3wheel, I will try and cross and see what they say.
Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Rosy,

Gave this more thought. All that is required is an "adequate" parking brake. Our front rotor lock is an adequate parking brake. With trike in gear and the rotor lock in place, our trike is not going anywhere. The rotor lock stops the trike when it rests against the fork. In my mind, problem solved.

I think I would listen to the person who lives there in Canada and the fact that border crossings are not interested in mechanical inspections,only the contents of a vehicle.Friends and I have crossed many times and only questioned about contents and how long we might be staying or even what our business in Canada would be.
Now if you buy a trike here and are taking it back to register in Canada,that's a whole different problem,becuase customs does get involved with the inspections and a lot more.
Make sure you have a temporary rider on your insurance to cover your time in Canada,they will check that along with other papers to get in.Get a rider on medical insurance also,remember you are going to another country and most insurance don't cover out of US.Most insurance companies will give you a temp rider card free to cover a short time there.Don't get caught there without both as it would be ver costly.

I think I would listen to the person who lives there in Canada and the fact that border crossings are not interested in mechanical inspections,only the contents of a vehicle.Friends and I have crossed many times and only questioned about contents and how long we might be staying or even what our business in Canada would be.
Now if you buy a trike here and are taking it back to register in Canada,that's a whole different problem,becuase customs does get involved with the inspections and a lot more.
Make sure you have a temporary rider on your insurance to cover your time in Canada,they will check that along with other papers to get in.Get a rider on medical insurance also,remember you are going to another country and most insurance don't cover out of US.Most insurance companies will give you a temp rider card free to cover a short time there.Don't get caught there without both as it would be ver costly.

Thanks.
But, what do I do when you have Medicare? Do you get covered in Canada? I do have supplemental insurance, but they only cover what Medicare covers.
Trips at times can be a hassle, like you said, be prepared for all your problems you may encounter.

Thanks again.

Rosy
From NH

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom95

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom95
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png