Tri Glide Primary Oil

Easy to get Formula plus. … On my 07 flhtc I have a Barnett at the time they said Redline was the best so that is what I’ve used. 10000 miles is what I try to get bet if not then once a year.

Re-looked at exhaust pipe, and there is oil residue. Oil is getting through the pistons. Where it sat so long, would Luca's oil help any?

You should have a leak down test done to see if your rings are holding a seal and engine has good compression before trying anything else

Oils are probably not going to help if you have poor ring seal and or valve seals leaking

You should have a leak down test done to see if your rings are holding a seal and engine has good compression before trying anything else

Oils are probably not going to help if you have poor ring seal and or valve seals leaking

Jack.. Me’ I always use the law of parsimony (Occam’s Razor)..IE go to the easy solution first sometimes when an engine sits for long times’ Years? The rings can gum up .. If the Rislone doesn’t work then all the OP is out a quart of oil …

Whatever primary juice you decide to use make sure you change it every oil change every time. Heres why- see that silvery fine particle sludge ( not chunks or slivers!)on the magnetic drain plug? Guess where else there are magnets? On the rotor. Those fine particles will attach themselves and over time will lead to your alternator shorting/ burning out.Its a fresh quart of oil now or a new alternator later. Might as well throw a new regulator/rectifer and battery onto the final bill- bad news comes in 3's. CHANGE THAT PRIMARY OIL!

Jack.. Me’ I always use the law of parsimony (Occam’s Razor)..IE go to the easy solution first sometimes when an engine sits for long times’ Years? The rings can gum up .. If the Rislone doesn’t work then all the OP is out a quart of oil …

Keep in mind, many Twin Cam engines had poor machining of the cylinders when put together @ the factory

This caused higher than normal oil usage, this is why a leak down test is in order here

Oil consumption

To both rhino2 and Jack Klarich, thank you. Due to finances, I might try the oil additive first. If that doesn't work I might try and find you Jack. It looks like you're in Jax, Fl and I'm about 60 miles in Glen St Mary....lol

To both rhino2 and Jack Klarich, thank you. Due to finances, I might try the oil additive first. If that doesn't work I might try and find you Jack. It looks like you're in Jax, Fl and I'm about 60 miles in Glen St Mary....lol

You can reach me @ 904-304-3545, if I do not answer leave a message ;)

I am kind of familiar with where you live and will help you whenever I can

Just throwin this out there people..Lets Discuss!!

What Oil do You use in your Tri Glide Primary?

Why?

How Much?

How often R & R?

ATF? Dennis?ThumbUp

Please Explain, as we all value your choice!

:Shrug:

With the redesigned compensator I don't use ATF anymore.

These compensators need a high quality oil because of the slide ramps and flat roller bearing.

I've actually been adding a small amount of ZDDP additive to my primary oil because of the slide ramps. They work just like a flat tappet cam in older car engines. Hasn't effected the clutch function (no slipping) for the last 2 years and my primary is still clunk free.

Amsoil - Nothing Better

AGREED.

Amsoil Engine and Primary. Transmission use Harley ATF - HOG wrench recommended (happy with tranny shifting).

Three hole change every 5000-7500mi or at 1 year. Takes about one hour. Good insurance.

:Agree:

I use Amsoil in the motor and trans, but like Formula+ for the primary.

I don't use anything automotive in my Harley.....oils, tires etc. .....not counting wax's cleaner's etc.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png