Rideing, heat and dehydration

I am an athletic trainer who works in the Palm Springs area of So Calif, who also has a trike. After experiencing dehydration myself while riding, I have long wondered how much of a problem this is perceived to be, how many realize what they may have experienced and how many accidents may have been caused by the mental fog resulting from the dehydration?

How many think this worth looking into? What have been your experiences? And would the information and knowledge that I have in the field of Sports Medicine be accepted and better yet utilized by the riding community both three and two wheel?

I am looking forward to your replies and input in this matter.

Hey pd...

I know the importance of drinking water BEFORE I feel thirsty, and make a point of it every day, but particularly when out riding as I don't want to get dehydrated! The only time I've experienced it was while riding through the Badlands on a day well over 100 degrees, and no water-stops readily available. I never reached the point of disorientation, but I sure did desperately feel the need to cool down and DRINK!!!!!

I would think that any wisdom you could share that would promote safety and happy riding would be welcomed. How, in particular, were you thinking of using your information? Your question almost sounds as though you have a business idea in mind.

This really isn't much of an issue for me. I have a very very low tolerance to hot weather. Most of my riding is only done in the spring and fall and on the occasional cool summer days and mild winter days. So as you can see, I do everything possible to avoid being out in hot weather!

We only get a few occasional hot day here in Conn. Most riding is done in 75 deg + or- 5 deg. Once I did get that woosiy feeling and pulled over. There was a great article in our Wing World Mag. on how to tell if you or your ridding friend are experiencing it. Maybe you could fill us in on the outward signs

with 6 months of winter, you ride no matter how hot it gets up here:yes: a unheard of 92 degrees here the other day,still did 400 miles,BUT carry water :cool:

Here in Alabama, we just make sure we drink plenty of water!!!!! We have a butler mug that we fill with a block of ice and then put the water in... also carry a couple of bottles of water with us.... Coke and other drinks just make U want something else to drink...

I definitely find myself getting thirsty when I'm riding, even when temps are not that warm, say in the 50s/60s. I also know that it's important to drink before you get thirsty, but I get thirsty pretty easily and often. I always carry a bottle or two of water with me on the trike, and I'm thinking about adapting my Camelbak (that I use for bicycling) for use when I'm riding the trike.

I don't see why bike/trike riders wouldn't be interested in input on this matter from an athletic trainer. Feel free to share your insights with us!

Re: Riding, heat and dehydration

My wife and I never carry water with us. We have ridden several hundred miles, stopping only for gas. We should consider carrying water, something to think about.

Last edited:
We have cupholders front and rear, Gloria has a Thermos mug that does a fair job of keeping water cool in the heat, and I have the "magic mug" that I got from the lost and found at the school where I work. 5 ice cubes, cold water, and it will keep the cubes for about 5 hours while riding on those 95° days that we have often in the mid-south. Don't know why it works so well, and haven't ever been able to find another like it.
We also have evaporative cool vests that you soak in water for 2 or 3 minutes, wring out and ride. They last about 3 hours, and keep the core of the body cool, less sweating, less dehydration. They look kind of strange, being a silver color, but they work. Also great for those all-too-common 95° days here in the mid-south.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. From my experience there are more factors to consider for a rider than any other athlete who does not have the issue of radiant heat from the road and bike coupled with speed both wind and speed of the bike with the need to protect yourself from sun and wind but also the possibility of an accident. There are two issues in classic heat illness, heat exhaustion, heat stroke and that is dehydration coupled with the bodies inability to cool its self which becomes more of an issue as the humidity rises to the 85%+ point which is common in a lot of the country then where I am from when 10% and even lower humidity can occur when its hot and windy.

The bottom line becomes fluid intake vs fluid loss. A simple test if anyone is interested is to weight yourself before a long ride in dry light clothing and then immediately again after the ride in the same dry weight clothing. The weight loss is the fluid lost by sweating and if the ride is long enough urination. Try this while using your usual fluid replacement method if you have a weight loss of any amount you are failing to replace all of the fluids you have lost. you should then consume enough fluid to equal 150% of the weight you lost.

Water, Gatorade or another sports drink, activity recovery drinks, fruit juices are good after ride drinks. I will post additional thoughts and information as well as answer questions as additional responses are posted.

Re: Riding, heat and dehydration

As high heat and high humidity bother me a lot one of the best things I have found that helps me a lot is gatorade's g-2 it is high in electrolytes with no sugar or caffeine.
I have a butler big cup that I fill with ice and g-2 and sip from as I drive along,I also take a couple of extra bottles along with me so if I run out,when we stop for gas or any thing I can fill the cup back up with ice and g-2.
I have found for me this works better then water or any thing else.

Re: Gatorade G2

Jim; The G2 does have some sugar about 1/2 of regular Gatorade, if sugar is an issue for you Powerade Zero does offer electrolytes with no sugar and 0 calories. I think that Propel by Gatorade which is lighter in calories and electrolytes than G2 could be something you can look into. Watch out for the version with caffeine.

Stay away from soda (ok- pop or sodapop or whatever), coffee, tea, and most energy drinks or "energy shots". Most of these have caffeine in them along with a lot of sugar. pd5190 alluded to staying away from caffeine. The caffeine is a mild diuretic, it can hasten the loss of fluid in the body.

On most of our trikes, in weather hot enough that you sweat, if you can go a full tank of gas without having to take a restroom break you are most likely not taking in enough fluid.

Another tip is to wear a long sleeve shirt. This will keep the sun off your arms which will keep you cooler, (as long as your'e moving) and blocking the wind some will lessen evaproation. It sounds anti-intuitive, but wearing a perforated or well ventilated jacket can be cooler while riding than a t-shirt.

Wear a cool vest under that jacket, hydrate often and you'll be one cool triker.:cool:

Re: Energy drinks

I could go on forever about those things. At the school I am at we send 2-3 kids a year to the ER because of the effects of those things. There are so many you can not keep up with all the brands. The caffeine level in those things is very high. While riding water, water and a sports drink if the sugar is not a problem for you. Soda should be avoided, actually has very slow absorption time in the digestive track. Save the beer for after the ride.

I usually carry a water bottle for my bride. I have to have my coffee until noon then switch to what ever sounds good at the time. It may be a Gatorade, unsweet tea(have to watch my figure;), cold beer or a cold beer or maybe a cold beer. My expertise in hydration tells me that beer is 99% water?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png