Trike rides like a rock

Oct 4, 2012
Calimesa CA
I just got my first trike. It’s a 96 1500 se with a California kit. Its taking a little getting use to, but I really like it. The only problem I have is that this thing rides like a rock. I’ve tried playing with the air shock, but its no good. I’m use to that good ol Goldwing ride. My wife doesn’t want to ride with me. There must be some after market suspension available. Do any of you know about it and have you had the same problem?

We had a 2000 GL1500 Motor Trike,and could always soften up the ride with the air shocks:Shrug: I must say that even though our 08 Ultra is a solid axle,it rides WAY better(smoother/softer) than the 1500 ever did. I chalk most of that up to 8 more years of engineeringThumbUp

What kind of rear tires do you have, bias belted or radials? Type of tire makes a difference, tire pressure also make a difference, shock pressure makes a big difference as my brother-in-law found out about his 1500.
His wife was not very happy with the ride, very rought. Dealer told him to increase the shock pressure to 70 psi and his wife says it is 100% better.
Don't increase your shock pressure till you find out if your trike kit shocks are made to go this high. His trike was bottoming out every time it hit a bump in the road.
What are you running for rear tire pressures? The "norm" now is 22 PSI, a few years ago it was 25+ PSI.
Check your suspension to make sure everything is OK and you don't have anything broken or a bolt is missing from a suspension component. Check your shocks to make sure they are working properly and don't have any leaks.
Good luck and keeps us posted on what you find out, because it may help someone else with the same problem.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Thanks for the input. I called California trikes today talked to the tech. He said to look at the coil over shocks. I did and they were adjusted all the way down. I turned them to the middle setting and we took it out. It was way better. He also said to drop the rear tires from 25 to 20 lbs. I'm going to do that tomorrow. I think mama was happy with it today. Thanks again for your help.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png