Rear Disc Brakes on a Valk Triwing Trike(LONG)

Aug 28, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO USA
I know there was a thread on here a long time back about converting drum to disc brakes. I tried a search, but no joy.
I was never satisfied with the brakes on my trike. Stopping distances were way too long & I had to adjust them every 2-3 thousand miles to keep even that. I got a lot of help from some folks on here, but my computer crashed & I lost all my saved e-mails. So thanks to those who helped. You know who you are, even if I can't remember. Anyhow, I finally got mine to work right. :)
So thought I would share some of what I learned in the process. First, the TriWing uses a 7.5" Ford rear end. So most of this should at least be helpful to any kit that uses the same or similar. This is common to a lot of Mustangs & Rangers, and they were unable to tell me where mine came from. None of the aftermarket "big brake companies" were able to provide a kit without knowing what year, make & model of the rear end. So I got the rear brake set up off a 1994 Mustang GT because the bolt pattern on the axle flange was the same. Took everything except the parking brake cables. These calipers have an internal parking brake (not used yet) which also has the effect of ratcheting the piston outward when applied, thereby adjusting the parking brake. I had to mount the brackets on the inside of the axle flange to get the caliper to align with the rotor. This required cutting a piece out of the bracket. Envision turning an "O" into a "C" . After that all the pieces bolted up no problem. (new calipers, rotors & pads) At this point I have about $300 in this project which I felt was reasonable. BUT. Brakes were no better, maybe worse than before. Next I put in stainless brake lines. $89. Some improvement. Next was a 2 psi in line pressure valve. $40. No help. In looking for a kit, I had talked to a number of companies that seemed to have knowledge they were willing to share. Determined the OEM Master Cylinder was too small to provide enough volume. So I bought a M/C from JEGs, made by Wilwood. $70. This required making a bracket in order to mount the M/C. Folks at Wilwood recommended a 7/8" dia cylinder. At this point, I had maybe 15% better brakes than the original drums, but was only able to lock up the wheels if I literally stood up on the pedal. I bought a set of Hawk HPS pads. $72. Some improvement. Finally talked to the folks @ Wilwood again. They said I could try a smaller M/C, but that the pedal travel might be excessive. Well since I had tried everything else I could think of or pick from someone else's brain I decided to bite the bullet & get a 5/8" dia M/C. Another $70.

NOT!! JEGs has a One Year return policy! Called them up, no problem, just send it back. Gotta love that kind of customer service!

What a difference! I can now stop in what I consider a reasonable distance with moderate pedal pressure & the wheels will lock up if I overdo the pressure, without having to stand up on the pedal. I hope this is useful to someone. If I can be of more help, e-mail me at stanpamNOSPAM431@msn.com

Another trick in converting from drum to disc is to have your disc brakes mounted lower than your master cylinder on the bike. Why this works, I do not know the theory behind it but it really helps. Don't ask why I know so I will not have to lie to you. HA, HA, HA!!!!!!!!!!! Gympy

gympy
The way it was explained to me is when the M/C is lower than the calipers, the fluid wants to drain back to the M/C, causing you to have to pump the pedal once before you get full pressure at the calipers. Solution is a 2 psi valve that holds pressure (2 psi) against the caliper. Stan

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png