Honda on harley

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/honda-trikes-8/honda-harley-not-nice-guys-13456/

Oct. 16, 2012

It is very interesting to see some of the posts on TrikeTalk. I noticed this one yesterday and decided to comment on it. I have only owned 1 Harley in my life. It was a 1979 FLH (powder blue). At the same time I also had a 1979 Goldwing. It was great having both in the same garage. The best of both worlds. Old tradition and new. I loved the feel and sound of the Harley. It is definitely an American ICON. It's very interesting that all the Japanese bikes starting somewhere in the 1980's were fashioned after the Harleys. I couldn't tell over the years which were Honda's and which were Harley's. Of course the sound coming from the mufflers gave it away. There was a deep throated and loud sound coming out of the Harleys, and at that point there were no tough decisions as to which one that was. LOL.
I normally ride by myself but I also picked up a friend who LOVES his Harley. His nickname is "Wild Bill." I think his greatest pleasure is revving up the engine in neutral in front of my house. Every time he does that, I have to put a "For Sale by Owner" on my front lawn.LOL. My neighbors aren't used to loud motorcycles. In fact, there are only a few cycles in my development.
I have never enjoyed cycling as much as I do now. I have had almost 50 motorcycles in my career. I started with a 75cc NSU FOX and went all the way up to a GL1800 Trike. I have only had my GL1800 for just over a month now and have already put on 2,000 miles. I am sure these numbers are nothing compared to what REAL riders do, but for me, the most miles I EVER put on a cycle was 5,000 on my 2011 Canam Spyder RTS/SE5.This took me only 1 year. I am mostly a sunday driver who drives every day. No speeding, no racetracks, just laid back and enjoying the scenery. I don't have to worry about the bike falling over, slipping on the road or making that tight U-turn when I feel the bike might tip over. My arms and legs aren't as strong as they use to be.
I guess the main point I am trying to pass on is the fact that Harley and Honda riders (also Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Triumph etc) are all on the same page. WE LOVE TO RIDE. I remember in the old days that Harley had lots of vibrations and some of the parts would rattle off. I am glad to see that when HD took back the Harley Franchise from Brunswick, somewhere near 1995 that the bikes were 100% better and the quality was superb. A mechanic told me this and was glad to see the changeback.
A month or so ago I stopped by Brians Harley Davidson in Pa. That was the biggest and fanciest cycle dealer I had ever seen, and I have visited lots of them. It looked like a NEW CAR showroom for Mercedes Benz. LOL. Harleys must be a superb bike for someone to put that much money into a dealership. The place was beautiful and the sales staff was top notch. They did know their bikes and everything about them. I was impressed. In fact, I think I will take a ride there today and say hello to everyone. I hope they let me park my GL1800 Lehman Monarch II outside of their showroom and don't make me park around the back. LOL.
I am retired and have lot's of time on my hands. I really enjoy posting articles on the internet and enjoy expressing MY feelings and reading about other peoples also. The internet has opened up a whole new world for communicating. How did we ever live without it. It seems as though one of the favorite things people like to do with their Harleys is to work on them and add tons of accessories. We do the same with the GL1800's. That is the fun of motorcycling. When I had my 2011 Canam Spyder, there was very little you could do with this machine. It was fun to ride and very different then any other 3 wheeler. The price for repairs was astronomical due to all the Tupperware that had to be removed to get to anything. Everyone said they would love the machine if it had a Goldwing engine instead of a Rotax. I agree. I would guess at this point the Harley guys would rather have their engine in it instead. LOL
That's enough for this morning. I am sure most of you have already fallen asleep reading this. LOL. NO MORE pics of people urinating on the HD factory. I am sure some people are just jealous of how an American company making motorcycles has done so well. I take my hat (helmet) off to the Harley Davidson Co. for doing so well all these years even with recessions and depressions. You make a quality product and you should be proud of the fact that you have SOOOOO many followers. Kudo's to Harley.

Gordon L. (Delanco, New Jersey):GL1800:
p.s I am still looking for a Trike Icon for the bottom of these posts. Anyone know of any ?

ThumbUp Thanks for the nice post! I would have a Honda but my wife wanted a Harley. I have to tell you that the Harley has won me over! I remember the good old days when I had a Moto Guzzi and everyone else had Harleys. We did have to stop and pick up parts that shook off and oil lines that cracked, hot motors that would not start. Things have changed, I love my Harley and I would love to have a Honda also. It is nice to see a postive post.

Great post thanks. I also have had a few import bikes and had no complaints on any of them. Most recently a 1500 kawy clasic that I liked very much. However was not safe any more as had trouble keeping it up due to leg weekness. Now have a Tri Glide and love it and can keep riding

Enjoy your TriGlide. It's ahttp://www.triketalk.com/forum/honda-trikes-8/gl1800-perfect-touring-machine-13490/ great bike.

Click on the above link to read my article about "The Perfect Machine"

Oct. 16, 2012

You're welcome. Many moons ago I had a BMW R69S with a Velorex sidecar. Those were the days. I also had two 1978 Suzuki 500 Titans. You couldn't destroy that engine if you dropped a bomb on it. LOL. I also had Vespa and Lambretta motorscooters when I got out of the Army. I also snuck a Motoguzzi in there too. I respect ALL Harley riders.They are a bunch of great guys and gals and drive a super bike.
Gordon

Hi Gordon, Great post ! You don't need to hide that Honda ! There are many here that also own Goldwings along with their Harley's. I for one have an old 1100 Wing that has many many great miles on it. It has started to gather a lot of dust since I got my Tri Glide though !
I also owned a 2009 Can Am Spyder SE5. I couldn't get used to the Crotch Rocket riding position. But as far as the engine,,,, that Rotax engine will run off & hide from most bikes anywhere near the same CC's. Also had a thing about taking an hour taking off plastic to do anything to it. I think things might have completely different had it been an RT model. It went by-by when I bought my Tri Glide.
Point of interest,, Harley built 1 bike that was the same design as the Can Am. It had leaning front wheels & a Harley engine, but that is as far as it made it.
In a lot of ways the GL1800 makes a much nicer & more versatile trike than the Tri Glide. But there are many HD diehard followers that put up with things just because it is a Harley.
I also love Harley, and think they made the right decision when they took the company back from Brunswick. That being said, I wish Harley wasn't run by the bean counters ! It is getting obvious ! But I guess most company's are anymore.....
Anyway, there used to be a red trike smiley on one of the forums, but it isn't there anymore ! And no one seems to know anything about where it went!!
Have a great ride! Ride safe! & come back here !! :Trike1:

I'm sure many others are in the same situation that I am.. I very recently converted my Wing with a CSC trike kit, but I also own a 2007 Harley Ultra, ( 2 wheeler) that I plan to ride. I'm sure the first few times I switch back and forth real be a real experience, but I love the fun on both of them. Honda and Harley riders can co-exist. We all love the sport and that is all that counts.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png