V-Star 1100 Classic, but now what?

Hello!

I've been hanging around TrikeTalk for a bit over a year, ever since I tracked down a fella in my home town, riding a Honda GL1800 triked, that he purchased with one of our member's help......I said to the guy, "I want one of those". Later, triking a Honda Helix, with a TowPac kit, that I've been riding ever since.

I had lots of fun with my 4-wheeled scoot, except has been pretty loney riding alone. Having later learned that my 244cc did not qualify for membership in the local motorcycle club, that I have wished to join.

I recently purchased a 2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic that I'm planning to trike. I'm attracted to the MTC Voyager standard kit, since the cost is somewhat low at $5,000 out-the-door.

What other 3-wheel kits should be under my consideration for my "new to me" Yamaha? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new bike, John.

A Voyager kit is a good option, but I would encourage you to consider something like a Frankenstein kit or a Yelvington Trike kit before you make that decision. They would give you a true 3-wheel trike rather than 4. You should be able to install a rake kit which will make your steering much easier and smoother. And because they don't have all the fiberglass body, they are significantly less than the other true trike kits on the market. You may want to do some research on the web and call to get specific questions answered by them. Yelvington is a sponsor here, so you can simply click on their link over on the right side of the screen here.

I don't know if Yelvington sells directly to the customer, but I do know Frankenstein does. Some of our members who are equipped to do so have appreciated that option as they could install the kit themselves and saved $$$ there too. However, I know our sponsors do everything they can to work with our members, so I would encourage you to at least check with them and compare.

Keep us updated on your decisions.....looks like you are going to have a fun winter, no matter which way you decide to go!

Deac, thank you for your friendship offered.....I accept.

Nana and Deac, I looked at Yelvington and Trigg. The next that I will investigate is CSC and Frankenstein Kits.

Bones, I did check out Tri-Wing.....I like the Sportster, best......Thanks.

:)John

Hello!

I checked out Frankenstein, but found out they don't have a kit for my V-Star 1100.

After looking at MTC Voyager and researching some more, I think Voyager is a bit too primitive, with its parallel-leaf spring suspension (below) that takes up valuable ground clearances. People generally either love the Voyager or hate it......not very many recommending owners (I found), that I wish to take a $5,000 out-the-door chance on.

With that said, I have come to appreciate Tow Pac's "Mini Trike, with 8" rim trailer tire" on my 1998 Honda Helix CN250 (244cc). Tow Pac, also has a heavier-duty "Insta Trike kit" for my Star 1100. The neat part of both Tow Pac kits is their independent rubber-torsion suspension, that I've grown so fond of with my scoot. The heavier-duty Insta Trike has an optional 12" aluminum mag-style rim, supporting tires with tread width of no more than 3.5" to 4", from their photos, which from the rear appears sort of funny looking compared to many trike rear tire widths. Total price = <$4,600 out-the-door.

I don't have need to make up my mind until later this winter, so I'm still open to suggestions. I think my $$ range tops-out at about $5,500. Yet, I might go for a slightly used kit and realize that expands my options,some.

Last edited:
I believe both Cass County Choppers and Yelvington trikes were working on kits for the 1100 when I checked with them a year ago.Said they should have something in the near future so i'd say they would have something by now.That would give you more of a true trike than the tow pac.I would think the price would be comparable to the tow pac or cheaper.

Hello!

I checked out Frankenstein, but found out they don't have a kit for my V-Star 1100.

After looking at MTC Voyager and researching some more, I think Voyager is a bit too primitive, with its parallel-leaf spring suspension (below) that takes up valuable ground clearances. People generally either love the Voyager or hate it......not very many recommending owners (I found), that I wish to take a $5,000 out-the-door chance on.

With that said, I have come to appreciate Tow Pac's "Mini Trike, with 8" rim trailer tire" on my 1998 Honda Helix CN250 (244cc). Tow Pac, also has a heavier-duty "Insta Trike kit" for my Star 1100. The neat part of both Tow Pac kits is their independent rubber-torsion suspension, that I've grown so fond of with my scoot. The heavier-duty Insta Trike has an optional 12" aluminum mag-style rim, supporting tires with tread width of no more than 3.5" to 4", from their photos, which from the rear appears sort of funny looking compared to many trike rear tire widths. Total price = <$4,600 out-the-door.

I don't have need to make up my mind until later this winter, so I'm still open to suggestions. I think my $$ range tops-out at about $5,500. Yet, I do not want a kit that has been previously used and realize that limits my options.

View attachment 6599

this was the first set up i built for my wife to see if she realy wanted a trike . all bolt on I still have it if interested pm me

SMILINGJOHN - I rode a Voyager Kit on various bikes for ten years and it took me all over this country. I must admit that my TG rides and handles a lot better. But the Voyager got me through those years when I was researching the type of trike I wanted to own. I know that there are used voyager kits out there that people like me would part with at a substantial discount. Could be a $2,000 investment vs $10,000 to $15,000 for a full trike conversion.
Russ Crider

Re: V-Star 1100 Classic, but now what? pic for john

View attachment 6666

Hi John well here it is in the crate there is room for one fender. the exact size is 49X45X12 inches and with one fender it is 250 Lbs, or 235 Lbs with out.each fender is 15 Lbs,

Hurry up will u; we want to see the trike... I just cal,t wate...

Don, I won't forget to keep this thread updated, as I progress with the new configuration, when I get it home.ThumbUp

Steps to completion:

1) Sandblast to clean off paint and inspect welds for stress cracks, etc.;

2) Blacksmith to re-weld, as required....don't want any surprises;

3) De-grease, prime and paint;

4) Order wheels / tires;

5) Mount the "stabilizer wheel' / tire' device" and adjust per instructions;

6) Dream-up a "beauty-skin", fabricate and install over "stabilizer skeleton"
I'll ask board for ideas:Shrug:;

Donations are encouraged (hover mouse over icon):NoJoke:.....PM me, I'll send instructions.

Last edited:
Don, I won't forget to keep this thread updated, as I progress with the new configuration, when I get it home.ThumbUp

Steps to completion:

1) Sandblast to clean off paint and inspect welds for stress cracks, etc.;

2) Blacksmith to re-weld, as required....don't want any surprises;

3) De-grease, prime and paint;

4) Order wheels / tires;

5) Mount the "stabilizer wheel' / tire' device" and adjust per instructions;

6) Dream-up a "beauty-skin", fabricate and install over "stabilizer skeleton"
I'll ask board for ideas:Shrug:;

Donations are encouraged (hover mouse over icon):NoJoke:.....PM me, I'll send instructions.

:wave4:
Okay, gang, got her home all the way from the west coast area.....'pastence' did a great job boxin 'er up.:goodjob:
:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png