Motor Trike Vibration/Rattle

Jan 3, 2009
United States
Kept hearing a rattle as I would drive down the road or crack the throttle from a red light. You may hear it if you turn off the radio but it is a distinctive fiberglass rattle.

Was looking around today and found it. You guys with Ultra conversions may want to take a quick check at this.

The top of the trike fiberglass body, just under the tour pack, has a rounded edge on both the right and left had sides. The rounded part of the lip is an "L" that is turned upside down.

The lip under the tour pack looks like this from the side.

(front of the trike) -----\____/----------- (rear)

The dip is an opening for a wrench.

The left or front lip was rubbing the bottom of the tour pack. It has rubbed through the paint and was digging into the fiberglass of the tour pack and wearing down the trike body.

I took a piece of fuel hose, cut off two 1" pieces and split them to make a cushion of sorts for the lip.

Take the seat off so you can get to the 4 nuts that hold the tour pack on. (There are 5 nuts total but there is no need to loosen the rear bolt. Remove the tour pack liner to get to the heads of the bolts. Just loosen them until you can move the tour back. Both the bolt heads and nuts are 7/16th.

Take the cushions and slide them from the front to the back starting just under the tour pack speakers. Lift the tour pack and leave the cushion to where the tour pack will sit on it. Do this to both sides.

Tighten the 4 tour pack bolts, reinstall the liner, put the seat back on and your done. The tension of the tour pack should hold the cushions and stop the rattle.

Hope this helps.

Great resolution to a problem that most would not have caught. I' m checking my Champion in the morning. Most of these conversions are very similar in the mounting areas. Thanks, Ted

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png