Anyone riding on nitrogen?

Aug 26, 2012
Phoenix
Okay, so now that I've had my trike for two weeks. I've taken it to my mechanic, First for an oil change, and also just to hang out. He suggested to the things I need to check every single day is there pressure in the tires, in the Airbags and my oil. He said Check these every single day I ride. He also told me that because motorcycle front tires are so porous they lose about 2 pounds a day of air. I have done some research and found out that if I fill my tires with nitrogen they never lose pressure because nitrogen is a bigger molecule. So anybody try not nitrogen?

I do not use nitrogen and my tires do no loose two pounds a day. As a matter of fact they have not lost any pressue since I put a new tire on about 2 months or more ago. I have had the pressure rise or lower depending on the air temp outside, if it is cold when day the pressure will drop but as soon as it warms back up the pressure returns.

My Wife and I both have HD 2010 trikes, we both run nitro in our tires as our dealer suggest. I have not noticed any great lose of pressure at all - rarely having to add any additional air. Currently have 14 and 16 thou on each front tire respectfully. Does it help ? Can't really say, but I sure CAN'T complain.....
:)

Okay, so now that I've had my trike for two weeks. I've taken it to my mechanic, First for an oil change, and also just to hang out. He suggested to the things I need to check every single day is there pressure in the tires, in the Airbags and my oil. He said Check these every single day I ride. He also told me that because motorcycle front tires are so porous they lose about 2 pounds a day of air. I have done some research and found out that if I fill my tires with nitrogen they never lose pressure because nitrogen is a bigger molecule. So anybody try not nitrogen?

Regular air is already something like 80% nitrogen, so I don't see it making much difference.

Regular air is already something like 80% nitrogen, so I don't see it making much difference.

According to Consumers Mag. it is a waste of money unless you have an airplane where tire temps reach very high on landing. It is pushed by dealers because it is a high profit item. When you do need air where are you going to get nitrogen? I check my tires every ride and if I need air which is seldom, I just turn on my compressor and add it.

If the dealership is putting nitrogen in your tires for free than it's no big thing but most tire shops will charge to do it. As mentioned earlier it is why some push it as they can charge around $5. a tire. It is true that nitrogen will not loose pressure like conventional air. It also prevents rust on the inner surfaces of steel rims and oxidation on aluminum rims. It is less affected by temperatures. I check my tires often and very seldom ever have to add air. Why pay for something that really doesn't affect your ride. Save your money for more bling.:)

2011 Merlot and Black TG.

I do not use nitorgen, first air works great and has for many years, if you run nitrogen and you have a low tire you have to find a location that offers nitrogen. As stated DakotaTG tbere is an up charge for nitrogen. I have experienced it in truck tires and was not satistied with it, because it changed in pressure also.

Nitrogen in tires is a great money maker for a dealership ( I work in the service department of a multi-brand dealership). The only problem is that the logic for it is BS. When the nitrogen craze started it was because 'NASCAR runs it in their race tires' so it must be better.
The big myth is that nitrogen will hold pressure better because the larger molecules won't seep thru the rubber as fast as normal air. If you keep your tires up to pressure by adding ambient air (78% nitrogen by volume), after a few times topping off your tires you should be getting close to 100% nitrogen since that pesky oxygen should have leaked thru the tires leaving only the big nitrogen molecule behind.
If you have watched the process of filling tires with nitrogen, you might have noticed that it simply involves releasing the pressure from the tire, then filling with nitrogen. You start with a tire at 0 psi, but filled with ambient air, then pressurize it off with nitrogen. You don't get 100% nitrogen to begin with. I guess you could suck the air out of a tube type tire then fill with nitro to get 100%, but I don't know of many cycle shops that keep a vacuum pump handy. I don't know what you could do with tubeless tires.
The other big BS item is that nitrogen is more stable in pressure as the temperature in the tire changes.

I have not found anyone who has verified this under controlled conditions, but I seem to recall that motorcycle manufacturers use normal air to test tires and determine the correct cold temperature. No one from the nitrogen supplier has come by to give us the correct cold pressures for nitrogen filled tires.
Save your money to buy gas, the kind you put in the fuel tank, not in your tires.
Rant mode off.

When my trike was in for servicing recently, I had a new MPA tire put up front, I noticed they filled it with nitrogen (no charge). I figured that all nice and well, but if I need to add to it, it's gonna be regular air from my compressor.

i have a big tank of nitrogen i bought at a flea market. i found out that it is not suitable for welding gas. now you shoot down the idea of using it in my tires. now what do i do with a tank of nitrogen?

The air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen. The most you can get in a tire without pulling a vacuum is 90%. I am an Independent Tire dealer and I do not or never will sell Nitrogen. I can't sell anything in good faith that I don't believe in......

If you check the air in your tires Every day, After 5 days you'll lose about 5 lb.:)

I've been putting on a little weight lately, but if I can check my tire pressure everyday and lose 5 lbs. a week thats the best diet i've heard of. I may try it, lets see 5lbs x 10 weeks thats 50 lbs. off and would put me weighing in about 200 ya-hoo.pepper:D Charley

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png