Trike Gas Mileage

FRR

Oct 12, 2012
Batavia Ohio
I very recently converted a 2004 Wing to a CSC conversion. Since I've only had it 12 days I have only been able to put 1000 miles on it; but my mileage has been all over the place. When it was on two wheels my bike got 40 to 41 MPG. Since I've converted it, I've gone from 35-40. I've ridden it on hills, in wind, on great days, single rider, 2 up, every way I can. I was told before I converted the bike that I could expect anywhere from a 2 to 5 MPG reduction, and I was prepared for that. I just can't figure why it isn't more consistent.

What are some of your experiences in this area? As always, thanks for your comments.

I have a Roadsmith. Riding locally in the Arkansas twisties two-up I average a consistent 37 mpg. Fully loaded on trip with highway speeds of 60-70 mph average drops to 34-35. Has to do with weight and, IMO, pushing air with those big rear fenders. Even though I have the trike wings, these machines are not aerodynamic :) The higher you get over 3,000 rpm the faster the fuel economy drops. So riding style also plays a big part in the fuel economy.

Quite frankly, I've quit worrying about the fuel economy and just enjoy the ride.

I keep meaning to check my mileage but am always so eager to get back on the road I forget to check the trip meter. Who cares? It's not like I'm going to cut back on my rides due to poor mileage anyway! :GL1800:

I have a Roadsmith. Riding locally in the Arkansas twisties two-up I average a consistent 37 mpg. Fully loaded on trip with highway speeds of 60-70 mph average drops to 34-35. Has to do with weight and, IMO, pushing air with those big rear fenders. Even though I have the trike wings, these machines are not aerodynamic :) The higher you get over 3,000 rpm the faster the fuel economy drops. So riding style also plays a big part in the fuel economy.

Quite frankly, I've quit worrying about the fuel economy and just enjoy the ride.

You hit the nail on the head mhgoldwing. On 2 wheels we were more aerodynamic so mileage stayed fairly constant. Now on 3 with that wide frontal profile we are more sensitive to higher speeds which causes more drag.
A few less mpg isn't really that much in dollars unless you are talking about a trip cross country. It always gets me when a rider will ride a few miles out of his way because the station there is selling gas for 4 cents less. On a 5 gal fill-up that saves him a whopping 20 cents.

I also agree with everything mgoldwing stated. Especially,, his very last statement, lol. ThumbUp:D

My 02 Wing was pretty close to 40 MPG on Road Trips. Now with the Motor Trike Kit I get as low as 26 MPG and as high as 33 MPG. It is a much bigger drop than I expected. It's not the $$$ that bug me. It is asking my Two Wheel Friends to stop at 130 - 150 Miles when we used to easily go 175 -200 miles an any tank. I just wish I had an auxiliary fuel tank.

Living in West Texas there are times when on back roads that you won't find a gas station when you need it.
With the 2-wheelers we never worried, always had plenty of gas to get to the next station.
With the trikes we now carry a one-gallon gas can in the trike trunk when we take those sparsley-populated jaunts.
We still never worry - just enjoy the trip!

27 mpg on IH20 riding two up in heavy winds at 75-80 mph on my new-to-me GL1500A2 Roadsmith conversion in ice cold conditions. That is about a 1000 mile test... I am getting too old for 2200 miles in 5 days. Wind blew us all over and we were overloaded to boot.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png