Roadsmith question

Sep 15, 2012
North Platte, Ne
Has anyone else had this happen. I fill both gas tanks and as I ride the back tank fills the front without me flipping the switch. I replaced the sensor and it still does it although at first it allowed me to do the transfer. I just rode 260 miles without flippen the switch and the front tank only took 4 gallons. Thanks

Which Wing do you have, 1500 or 1800? The picture looks like a 1500. If so, I believe you have a manual valve that lets you run from either tank at your discretion. If that's true then I suspect a defective valve that is using gas from both tanks; or, the valve is set between the two.

Has anyone else had this happen. I fill both gas tanks and as I ride the back tank fills the front without me flipping the switch. I replaced the sensor and it still does it although at first it allowed me to do the transfer. I just rode 260 miles without flippen the switch and the front tank only took 4 gallons. Thanks

That's strange. I have a 2006 GW with a 2010 Roadsmith kit. I have to flip the switch before the lights on the switch come on and the pump begins the transfer. If I inadvertently leave the pump on after a fill-up it will continue to pump into the already full main tank and stall the engine after about a quarter mile. From my experience there is nothing in the Roadsmith kit that prevents overfilling the main tank - which, I suspect, is why the instructions say not to flip the switch until the fuel light comes on! In other words, the main tank does NOT draw from the reserve tank automatically.

I think you need to contact either the installer or Roadsmith - and let us know the answer!

That's strange. I have a 2006 GW with a 2010 Roadsmith kit. I have to flip the switch before the lights on the switch come on and the pump begins the transfer. If I inadvertently leave the pump on after a fill-up it will continue to pump into the already full main tank and stall the engine after about a quarter mile. From my experience there is nothing in the Roadsmith kit that prevents overfilling the main tank - which, I suspect, is why the instructions say not to flip the switch until the fuel light comes on! In other words, the main tank does NOT draw from the reserve tank automatically.

I think you need to contact either the installer or Roadsmith - and let us know the answer!

I agree. Mine will only transfer when the switch is thown and the lights come on. It WILL overfill if you hit the switch while the other main tank is anywhere close to full (hit the switch ONCE by accident and promptly flooded out leaking fuel!!!! Not good!). Other than that caveat, I love the system and have had great luck with it. If your bike is transfering without using the switch something is seriously wrong, and you are in danger of overfilling the tank and pumping raw fuel out onto your hot motorcycle. NOT SAFE! I'd strongly suggest you contact Roadsmith and get some advise on how to deal with this. Ride safe!

I haven't bought my Roadsmith with the extra tank yet but I will in a week or two.
I have thought about this "problem" since I first talked to an owner of the RS trike and aux tank. Would it work to run a return line from the main tank to the aux tank that would transfer the fuel back to the aux tank in the event the switch was left on? The return line would have to be at the top of the main tank and siphon off the fuel as it pressurized the main tank, If you had a return line then the fuel would just recirculate back to the aux tank. I'm just thinking out loud as I haven't even seen the set up yet and I am trying to contemplate the mod if it becomes necessary.
:Shrug:

The only reason the aux tank would fill the main tank without flipping the switch is because of an error in piping or an electrical short, incorrect wiring, etc. and that is what needs to be fixed. Any other solution could prove dangerous and detrimental. The main tank already has a overflow which sends the fuel vapor to the canister on the lower front engine. If raw fuel gets drawn into the canister then the engine will not run correctly because of excess fuel.

I repeat: if the system is not working correctly then the real problem needs to be found and repaired and then the system will work flawlessly.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png