Beefed Up My Trike Motor

Got a 2004 Road King Custom which I put a DFT trike body on. Needed more than the stock motor, in my opinion. So I called Fuel Moto and ordered their 98 kit, had the heads ported, higher flow air cleaner, got the Power Vision with Auto Tune, and did all the work myself. The auto tune required adding two O2 sensors to the exhaust. It all went together pretty easily, except a few "blond" moments caused me to call Fuel Moto 4-5 times to work out the Power Vision setup.

They recommended running it up to 210 degrees a couple times, and cooling it down between (heat sycles), which I did while monitoring the temp on the Power Vision. Start up was exciting, not knowing if I would hear some nasty sounds. I did hear a bunch of clacking for a minute or two, but it eventually went away, and all I heard the various other noises a Harley engine makes that leads you to believe it is about to grenade.

They said to take it easy for 500 miles, so I will start it today for it's first cold ride this afternoon. Plan on changing the oil right after the ride.

So far so good. BTW, I have never done this type engine work before and found it quit interesting and satisfying.

Have taken it out a couple of times for some breakin. Cylinder head temperature running 250-270 degrees, no leaks, no trouble other than some valve tapping noise -- comes and goes. Starts like a champ, even when I forget to use the cylinder decompressor thingies (can't remember the proper name). I haven't pushed it, but can tell there is some extra power in there somewhere.

Also, I installed the Ultracool oil cooler. I haven't seen it come on yet, but know it works (tested it).

By the way, Fuel Moto is top notch. Have called them 5-6 times with questions, and they have been fast and correct with all the answers. Absolutely satisfied to the max. (not being paid or put up to this). I even made an order mistake, and they covered the additional cost and shipping.

Have taken it out a couple of times for some breakin. Cylinder head temperature running 250-270 degrees, no leaks, no trouble other than some valve tapping noise -- comes and goes. Starts like a champ, even when I forget to use the cylinder decompressor thingies (can't remember the proper name). I haven't pushed it, but can tell there is some extra power in there somewhere.

Also, I installed the Ultracool oil cooler. I haven't seen it come on yet, but know it works (tested it).

By the way, Fuel Moto is top notch. Have called them 5-6 times with questions, and they have been fast and correct with all the answers. Absolutely satisfied to the max. (not being paid or put up to this). I even made an order mistake, and they covered the additional cost and shipping.
just make sure the pushrods are adjusted correctly..I am guessing you used adjustable pushrods on your upgrade??

250/270 degrees the Ultracool should be running. Should come on around 210 and off around 190. I put mine on a manual switch and the thermo switch. So I can run it either way.

just make sure the pushrods are adjusted correctly..I am guessing you used adjustable pushrods on your upgrade??

Yes, they were adjustable pushrods. I followed the instructions that came with them: take out the slack, then preload 19 flats (3 turns plus one flat), wait for bleeddown, then proceed to next cylinder.

Looking at the disc I got from Fuel Moto, which covers a 107 motor (not 88), they instruct 4 turns and one flat. I might have to call them and see if they need another turn.

Yes, they were adjustable pushrods. I followed the instructions that came with them: take out the slack, then preload 19 flats (3 turns plus one flat), wait for bleeddown, then proceed to next cylinder.

Looking at the disc I got from Fuel Moto, which covers a 107 motor (not 88), they instruct 4 turns and one flat. I might have to call them and see if they need another turn.

Which cams and lifters did you go with?

Well, well. Found a piece of paper in the Woods box that called for about 24 flats, or 4 turns. It was even highlighted. No wonder the noise. Already readjusted the pushrods. Now I'm paranoid that I might have done something else wrong --- .

Started the engine and it is much quieter now.

How long did you run it with the noise..How much was it off..If not much most likley nothing is wrong..One time one of mine loosened up and drove a short distance home and readjust and no problems after that..

Glad you got it figured out!!

Have fun and ride..

Well, well. Found a piece of paper in the Woods box that called for about 24 flats, or 4 turns. It was even highlighted. No wonder the noise. Already readjusted the pushrods. Now I'm paranoid that I might have done something else wrong --- .

Started the engine and it is much quieter now.

Woods cams can at times be noisy, some of the less aggressive cams will quiet down some when the lifter plunger is run a little deeper in the body which you just did by adjusting it more flats. Another characteristic of the Woods directional lifters is they sometimes take a little bit to pump up after sitting for awhile, if you get a little ticking upon the 1st start up of the day which goes away this is just the lifter pumping up.

How long did you run it with the noise..How much was it off..If not much most likley nothing is wrong..One time one of mine loosened up and drove a short distance home and readjust and no problems after that..

Glad you got it figured out!!

Have fun and ride..

I ran it about 1 hour. It was off one turn, which I think is .031 in., according to the spec sheet I found.

Beefed Up My Trike Motor, Part 2

Dang. Just took it for a 20 mile ride and it started out quiet, then the clacking started and got worse. It sounds just like a tappet, is loud, and is definitely coming from the front cylinder, probably the top part. When I put it back together, maybe I didn't tighten the rocker arm bolts, who knows.

Off comes the tank and other stuff. At least it isn't the rear cylinder.

Re: Beefed Up My Trike Motor, Part 2

Dang. Just took it for a 20 mile ride and it started out quiet, then the clacking started and got worse. It sounds just like a tappet, is loud, and is definitely coming from the front cylinder, probably the top part. When I put it back together, maybe I didn't tighten the rocker arm bolts, who knows.

Off comes the tank and other stuff. At least it isn't the rear cylinder.

Just checked the front pushrods at TDC. They can be rotated and are not loose. Rotation takes two fingers to rotate and there is no up and down movement at all.

The pushrods should be adjusted on the low spot on the cam. The pushrod will rotate once the lift bleeds down..

The pushrods should be adjusted on the low spot on the cam. The pushrod will rotate once the lift bleeds down..

What I did is rotate the engine with the wheel in 5th gear until the front intake lifter drops to the bottom, then rotate it with a straw in the sparkplug hole until that piston is at TDC. Air rushes out the hole while the piston advances. I followed the manual for determining base circle, and I hope this is correct.

Just checked the front pushrods at TDC. They can be rotated and are not loose. Rotation takes two fingers to rotate and there is no up and down movement at all.

Kind of a redneck way of doing it but, you could turn it over until your on the heal of the cam and then use something along the lines of a paper clip to measure how deep your lifter is compressed. You'll need some way of measuring the paper clip once you mark it, dial calipers will work good. You can safely go .140 in the hole with the Woods directional lifters, if you know your not that deep you could try lengthening each push rod 1 flat at a time and seeing if it helps quiet it down some.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png