Tail Light Wiring

To start with have '08 Wing with a 2 year old RS. I'm going to add some supplemental lighting on the back of the lower trunk.

Thought about splicing into tail light wiring behind rear wheel, but if tail light bulb ever blows, would have to remove all splices to get the wire through hole in fiberglass, as wiring has to be pulled through back of fender to gain access to back of light assembly.

That being said, I'm going to splice into the main Honda wiring under the seat. All 5 wires eventually need to end up in the LOWER trunk. I now have one wheel off and the right side is on a jack stand on part of the frame and a floor jack under the shock.

What would be the best way to route the new wire? (I'm going to put all 5 wires into shrink wrap, and shrink, to make handling much simpler.) There are three sets of wires going into the back (towards front of trike) top of the trunk, but there must be a false top in the trunk, because from the inside of the trunk, the wiring cannot be seen.

I was thinking about drilling (from inside the LOWER trunk) as high as I can get) through the back of the trunk but then I have the rear end and lots of suspension parts to clear with the new wire bundle. I really do NOT want to get my body (or any part thereof) under the bike to route the wire. I'm good with bent coat hangers, so ......... suggestions on what to do and of course, I'm all ears on what NOT to do. I'll have the seat off, so can see from that end also.

If you've done it, I'd like to hear from you.

Look at the picture of the raw frame without a body on the RS website and it might give you some ideas where to route the wiring. If you remove the seat you can see the frame rails on each side from the top and that might be a good place to start. The way you have the trike supported I would feel confident crawiling underneath it. I did to replace shocks. You've got the trike on a three point stance so it should be stable.

I drilled a small hole in the top center of my trunk. Even though I put silicon around the hole and wires, I wanted to have the hole as high as possible to prevent water from possibly leaking through.

As already mentioned, the way you presently have your trike lifted and supported you'll be able to slide under it safely. I basically did the same thing when I routed my wires (and also tie-wrapped and dressed up some of the other wires while I was under there). I have all wires tie-wrapped to the RS frame.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png