Do you use the 'Lock' key position?

Nov.17, 2012

I have a 2005 GL1800 Lehman Monarch II trike. Whenever I park the bike in a parking lot I always lock the handlebars. It is just a good idea to keep people from rolling away your bike. I don't often use the parking brake because as everyone else says, " I forget to release it too many times." If you don't use the lock then anyone can just release it from first gear and it will roll away. At least with the lock it will just go in circles. LOL.

Motogordo:GL1800:

I do now on this trike, but stopped using it on my last 2 wheeler with over 100k on it. I Was hoping someone would steal it. I figured I'd get more from insurance co than the trade in.

Yes, I always use it when leaving the trike unattended no matter where I am. I turn the handlebars which ever direction will more likely point the trike toward the nearest obstacle such as a curb or building and lock the bars with the trike in 1st gear. I also carry a couple small fold-able metal wheel chocks to block the wheels on hills if I think I need to, Good habit to get into.

Thanks for all of the replies and here was one of the reasons from my initial question;

Maybe I should start a new post as I cannot seem to get my handle bars to lock. (See new thread - Cannot Lock Handlebars)

Thanks for all of the replies and here was one of the reasons from my initial question;

Maybe I should start a new post as I cannot seem to get my handle bars to lock. (See new thread - Cannot Lock Handlebars)

Why don't you just put it in reverse? Ain't nobody gonna walk away with it then.

If I'am off the bike and can't see it or at a motel over night I lock the handle bares and put it reverse. That way it can't be put into neutral and let it roll. I also hit the kill switch. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

My insurance company loves to have it locked

Hisst

I only lock the bars overnight at a motel or in a very large parking lot in an unfamiliar area. For an X-LEO and a retired prosecutor I'm probably way too trusting, but in all my years of riding I have never had anyone bother my bike anywhere. Lots of admirers but no "touchers".

I guess I've just been lucky and I admire the guys who have developed the very good habit of locking - before they have gotten too old and set in their ways! :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png