Add bluetooth to your Trike for under $50.

Oct 16, 2012
Nashville, TN
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone here has actually done this; or posted about it before. But I was pretty disappointed when I tried to add the ability to play my iphone through the HK Advanced Radio in my Tri Glide.

Almost $500 including tax and installation???? :AGGHH: :Wrong: Ouch.

So I looked at the obvious choices at my local Best Buy. You know, the FM transmitters and stuff. But FM transmitters always seem to "fuzz" in and out on me. So I figured that I needed to find another method if I wanted to keep my sanity (inconsistencies drive me nuts, I know it's a personality flaw.... but there it is...)

My local HD shop recommended the magnetic tank case and a small patch cable to connect the headphone jack to the AUX in on the radio.

It seemed like a good idea; so I bought the case and the cable and set it up.

The sounds isn't as good as the actual iPhone/iPod interface would be; but it beats spending $500. ThumbUp

At home, (bear with me, I promise this is going somewhere!), I have a speaker dock that has an ipod dock built in. Best Buy sells a small dongle that plugs into the dock and allows the dock to appear as wireless speakers on bluetooth. It's the perfect product for a couch potato like myself who dosen't like to have to get up and change the songs manually.

So while looking at the dock one night; it occurred to me that someone might make a bluetooth dongle that plugs into a headphone jack. This would allow you to use any device with such a jack to play music via bluetooth.

So I grab my iPad and search. What I find is a device on Amazon and find this: http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-BlueGate-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00727FE5U/ref=pd_cp_e_3 that does exactly what I want.

It plugs into the aux jack, and then has a small power cord that I passed behind the steering wheel and plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter on the inside left of the fairing.

Once connected; it appears as BTR-001 which you search for it via bluetooth on your iphone (or any other bluetooth device). After it is paired; anything you want will play through your radio's AUX input without the need to connect any wires. My iphone automatically connects to each each time I am on the trike.

I got it for $37 including shipping. And depending on where you live (and if Amazon is forced to collect tax in your state), you can do this entire DIY solution for well under $40..... Maybe $50 if you get hit with tax and shipping.

Just thought I would mention it in case someone else was interested.

Jim

This ends up being a speakers-only solution. If you answer the call; what they say would be played through your stereo; but since the HK Advanced radio only has an aux input for speakers and not for microphone the iphone would still have to use it's own mic.

In short; it probably isn't a good fit for trying to use for two way conversation.

But then again; the HD ipod interface adaptor won't allow you to answer calls either.

How does this work? It claims to be a transimitter that sends out a bluetooth signal to transmit what would normally come out of a headphone jack. I am confused. If it is a transmitter, how is it receiveing your GPS bluetooth signal? Please explain.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone here has actually done this; or posted about it before. But I was pretty disappointed when I tried to add the ability to play my iphone through the HK Advanced Radio in my Tri Glide.

Almost $500 including tax and installation???? :AGGHH: :Wrong: Ouch.

So I looked at the obvious choices at my local Best Buy. You know, the FM transmitters and stuff. But FM transmitters always seem to "fuzz" in and out on me. So I figured that I needed to find another method if I wanted to keep my sanity (inconsistencies drive me nuts, I know it's a personality flaw.... but there it is...)

My local HD shop recommended the magnetic tank case and a small patch cable to connect the headphone jack to the AUX in on the radio.

It seemed like a good idea; so I bought the case and the cable and set it up.

The sounds isn't as good as the actual iPhone/iPod interface would be; but it beats spending $500. ThumbUp

At home, (bear with me, I promise this is going somewhere!), I have a speaker dock that has an ipod dock built in. Best Buy sells a small dongle that plugs into the dock and allows the dock to appear as wireless speakers on bluetooth. It's the perfect product for a couch potato like myself who dosen't like to have to get up and change the songs manually.

So while looking at the dock one night; it occurred to me that someone might make a bluetooth dongle that plugs into a headphone jack. This would allow you to use any device with such a jack to play music via bluetooth.

So I grab my iPad and search. What I find is a device on Amazon and find this: Amazon.com: Azeca BTT005 Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter: MP3 Players & Accessories that does exactly what I want.

It sells for about $35 on Amazon and even includes a bit of velcro; which I used to connect it to the inside fairing of my trike.

It plugs into the aux jack, and then has a small power cord that I passed behind the steering wheel and plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter on the inside left of the fairing.

Once connected; it appears as BTR-001 which you search for it via bluetooth on your iphone (or any other bluetooth device). After it is paired; anything you want will play through your radio's AUX input without the need to connect any wires. My iphone automatically connects to each each time I am on the trike.

I got it for $37 including shipping. And depending on where you live (and if Amazon is forced to collect tax in your state), you can do this entire DIY solution for well under $40..... Maybe $50 if you get hit with tax and shipping.

Just thought I would mention it in case someone else was interested.

Jim

It's actually the opposite. It accepts a bluetooth signal and then sends it out via the headphone jack.

Turns the radio into wireless speakers.

That is a very confusing add. When I went to their website, I still thought it is transmitting a blue tooth signal. Bet they get a lot of returns with the way the add is posted.

Thanks for clearing that up.

f

Yeah, I see what you mean.

The device is actually made overseas and then resold by dozens of folks. I went in and selected a different seller on Amazon for the same device. At least their ad copy reads correctly.

I guess I'm very much still in the mid 90's (noticed I didn't say stone age) when it comes to all these electronics. I don't even like the Garmin now, that is installed on the fairing, can't take it off without replacing the fairing due to the hole. This thing about an IPhone amazes me, my daughter has her's in her ear all the time, can't live without it. Heck, I just got my first smartphone (Verizon LG Lucid awful phone) and I only have 300 mg's of date, now that shows how far in the dark I am about phones. I check mine at stops but other than that, I don't want to have to worry about answering a phone when I'm out riding enjoying myself or on a trip. But I know that many of you use the Iphone for music and GPS. sure would have been cheaper than buying that darn Garmin that now will not play the MP3 micro sim card or get a good signal with the XM....

Jabara cruiser. It allows your iPhone or any Blue tooth to play brought the radio. It tells you who is calling if they are in your mailbox. You can play your iToons music also. You answer with one touch of a button. You can place calls just by saying a name if you have Sheri it will go 14 days on a charge. Has a built in mike and speakers if you do not want it to go through the radio. Works great. U can switch from car to bike in a second.
Amazon.com: jabra cruiser

Jabara cruiser. It allows your iPhone or any Blue tooth to play brought the radio. It tells you who is calling if they are in your mailbox. You can play your iToons music also. You answer with one touch of a button. You can place calls just by saying a name if you have Sheri it will go 14 days on a charge. Has a built in mike and speakers if you do not want it to go through the radio. Works great. U can switch from car to bike in a second.
Amazon.com: jabra cruiser

For some reason, I don't think a speaker phone would work in the wind & bike noise.......... You could hear the radio, but you would have to scream over the noise to talk to anyone.:Trike1:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png