New Guy Looking for advice.

Jul 13, 2012
Southern NH
Hey everyone, been looking around for a while to see what is going on and trying to get a sense on how everyone likes their trikes. I do not have one yet but I have been pricing out a 12' G.W. Level 2 with both CSC Viper kit and the Roadsmith kit. When I spoke with the salesman about these kits, my lower jaw dropped to the floor. These trikes cost more than my full size truck!! Why? I asked, he then started to tell me all about them. What originally got me started about owning a trike was 2 years ago I got my endorsement and I wanted to get a Spyder. After hearing about the many bugs that are in them and how they left people stranded, I looked else where. I started to look at G.W. trikes and noted that alot of people liked them and how they are very dependable. So after all this time I wanted to ask a question or two. Are they worth it? Are they just as stable as a Spyder? I am looking at $38k plus for the Roadsmith and that is with no aqua shields. The CSC Viper trike is about $500 less equiped the same way. I want to get one and have enough for good size down payment but the idea of spending that much on a 3 wheeled motorcycle is just down right scary. How did you all get passed the initial shock? Any info / advice would greatly be appreicated. Russ

Hiya Russ and first of all, welcome to Trike Talk! ThumbUp

I guess it all comes down to how much you enjoy triking and of course, what your finances will allow. I can tell you from a GoldWing perspective that I love my Wing/Roadsmith! She's comfortable, quite, handles very well, shifts like silk and she's very powerful! Did the price of trikes initially put me off a bit? Absolutely! A 'new' Trike is really no different then if you were buying a car. Again, it all matters on what your preference is. A small sports car or a Trike.

I'm sure others will also chime in with their perspectives.

Welcome to TrikeTalk! I don't have a GW trike, but have ridden a couple. However, I can tell you that you cannot beat a trike for stability and comfort as you ride! I moved from two to three wheels on my Harley in '06 by choice, and have never regretted that decision. Regarding your stability question, both Roadsmith and CSC have a great kit with a wide wheel base in the rear; tipping either of them would take effort way beyond normal riding, and even then it would be difficult to do! :)

I can't say this often enough......SHOP AROUND......find the ride that's going to fit you, not what someone else wants to sell to you. I ride a 2001 GoldWing Hannigan conversion and couldn't be happier. Wide wheel-base, independent suspension, 6 degree rake on the front.

Mine was delivered on July 31st of this year. I have been having TONS OF FUN ever since. I wouldn't change a thing.

You may want to reconsider the 2012 model and go with something a little older if you are concerned about the cost aspect. I really scored with mine as the GoldWing part of it only had 11,000 miles on it and the conversion is a brand new kit.

There are a LOT of installers out there that can do a decent conversion. Hence the reason I said SHOP AROUND.

I had to make the switch to three wheels due to medical issues. It was either ride three or don't ride at all. Now I wouldn't change a thing.

I spent two years researching trikes before I bought mine. And I have looked into a ton of different models, brands, installers, designs, et al..........

You have come to a good place for information. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. And, remember, there are NO stupid questions here.....

Here are a few photos of my ride......

Trike photos 500 Photos by hbrogan57 | Photobucket

Hey everyone, been looking around for a while to see what is going on and trying to get a sense on how everyone likes their trikes. I do not have one yet but I have been pricing out a 12' G.W. Level 2 with both CSC Viper kit and the Roadsmith kit. When I spoke with the salesman about these kits, my lower jaw dropped to the floor. These trikes cost more than my full size truck!! Why? I asked, he then started to tell me all about them. What originally got me started about owning a trike was 2 years ago I got my endorsement and I wanted to get a Spyder. After hearing about the many bugs that are in them and how they left people stranded, I looked else where. I started to look at G.W. trikes and noted that alot of people liked them and how they are very dependable. So after all this time I wanted to ask a question or two. Are they worth it? Are they just as stable as a Spyder? I am looking at $38k plus for the Roadsmith and that is with no aqua shields. The CSC Viper trike is about $500 less equiped the same way. I want to get one and have enough for good size down payment but the idea of spending that much on a 3 wheeled motorcycle is just down right scary. How did you all get passed the initial shock? Any info / advice would greatly be appreicated. Russ

hbrogan57 made a good point here; try to find a good older model. When I first considered 3 wheels I looked at the price of a new one and knew that was too much for me. BUT, I own a perfectly good 2004 Wing so I converted that for less than $13,000 with a CSC kit. I love it and it is not at all hard to love. As the riding generation continues to age, and more and more folks turning to 3 wheels, you can find some good buys out there. If you love it ride, you will not be sorry if you invest in a trike. And their values hold fairly well also.

I would also recommend purchasing a good, low mileage Wing and then converting it. I bought an '06 Wing in Jan. 11 that had 6400 miles on it. I had it converted at 7,500 miles. Wing's have not changed that much and '06 and later had some good improvements.

I have the Roadsmith with Accuride, aux fuel tank, and running boards and couldn't be happier. But, as others suggest, the installer is the key. Choose carefully.

Everybody LOVES a new vehicle but sticker shock makes a new vehicle kind of unrealistic, in my opinion. I wanted a trike BUT couldn't bring myself to buy a 2012 GL1800 and spend another $12-15K on top. My modest business and small retirement check don't allow for expenditures of this nature so I traded my 2006 GL1800 for a 1997 GL1500 with new Roadsmith conversion with the floorboards. I needed to kick in a few thousand bucks. For a few month thousand, I could have had a GL1800 but decided that the upgraded wing wasn't worth the money to me at this point. You can get a low-mileage GL1800 in the low $20K range and I have seen a few 2001-2002 models with under 40K miles for UNDER $20K. I haven't seen many GL1800 worn out from riding and most used examples are essentially still as reliable as new bikes.

Seems you've come to the right place for good conversation, tips, and advice. I'm one of those getting long in the tooth and waiting for the RoadSmith conversion to my 2005 Wing. Approaching 48 years on two wheels, never thought it would happen for me on three; but two up on a vacation to the TN twisties, places to visit on the side of a mountain, changed my mind.

So, I await my challenge to push/pull on the bars, pointing the front wheel, end to the lean riding. As most here, did a lot of research, asking questions, reading volumes of information here on this forum. Certainly wish you the best on your decision. Wasn't easy for me either.

Hi everyone. thanks for chiming in on this subject. Lots of valuable info from all of you. I had the oppurtunity to demo a used 12' G.W. w/ CSC kit. The salesman and I rode around for about 30 plus miles and let me say I was hooked! I thought the machine felt very stable but I had a person on the back to for more weight. I serious considered buying that one but its $38k used. It only has 100 miles on it but I think its a Level 3 because it has ABS brakes. Its a sad story about the original owner of the trike. He passed away just right after he purchased the trike, no he was not on the trike when it happend. He was single, no family so his sister inheirited the machine. She did not want anything to do with it so she so it to the dealer. Beautiful machine. May still look into it more. Just that demo ride plus a couple of demo rides with the spyder is all the experience I have with trikes. Both of them seemed to be extremely fun and stable, but I am very impressed with the quality of the G.W. and some of the stories I have heard of folks getting over 100k miles out of them and I rarely here any problems with these bikes. By the way this trike I am looking to purchase will be my 25th aniversary gift. The Mrs. already has hers. She wanted a larger diamond ring and no she has it. Thanks again everyone. I will still be looking around and hopefully I can find one that is more affordable. Russ

welcome aboard russ. that wing will be easily be good for 250k plus miles. If you can afford it go for it. the riding only gets better as you become more familiar with it. you will be looking at alot of good riding and fun. good luck with your decision.

Well as far as the lifetime of a GW they break in at about 40,000 miles. Mine seemed to run better and get better mileage after that point. 100,000 is easily obtainable. 150 and 200,000 are not unrealistic. I have a friend that does 30,000 a year. His 10 year old wing is over 250,000 and is is taking it to Sturgis this year. It has never been on a trailer and has been to Sturgis every year since he got it ( with the exception of the years he had a heart attack and both hips replaced.) BTW we live in Conn. Stable: I have a 1997 DFT I can ride it as aggressively as I my brain will allow and I have never lifted a tire. I have a friend in Penn that enjoys lifting a rear tire on hairpin corners, he says he likes to hear the tire chirp when it hits the ground. Power: I pull a good size trailer with mine , I ride 2 up and do not even know it is there.

I ride a 2 wheeler also, have 2 of them , if I am going on a ride more than 50 miles I will always choos the trike. Used Goldwings. There are al lot out there I just sold an absolutely beautiful 2002 with 8,000 miles on it with a matching Bushtec trailer for $16,000 ( similar story to the one you heard about the one you looked at. My friend died. 2 years after he purchased it. His wife learned to ride it and only enjoyed it for 3 moreyears and passed away. The words you hear most from people that own a trike are WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG, I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT A LOT SOONER .
FARKEL doodads and chrome you add to your ride that is either not necessary or is so pretty you just have to,have it. <LOL >

I have an 05 CSC trike that may be for sale here pretty soon.

It was triked when new and has 16,000 miles on it. I will be selling it for $27.5K. You can save $10K and you won't need to spend any extra because it is fully loaded with all the popular farkles !

Let me know if you're interested.

Here are more photos of it.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/team5150/Trike%20for%20sale/

Screen.jpg

YAMA-DUDE - Go to Horizon Trike Center's web page and click on the For Sale tab and he has several Trikes for sale. might help you get a handle on cost.
Thanks and have a great day.

Welcome to the site Russ, and if you look around you can find used trikes in the 12/15k area but it will be an older bike like a 1990 and a 1500 but with miles in the 70s or so. It brings the price down but raises the possibility of needing more repair work. But if you are good with your hands it wont be too bad of a job, plus you get to know your trike better..

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Yes, I am looking at both new and used. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time. There are a couple of used ones here locally at a couple of Honda dealers. They look to be in good shape. I still like the two tone looks of the 12' model. Russ

I purchased a new 2012 GL1800 with a CSC Viper kit installed. I have everything CSC offers with the exception of the aux fuel tank. I like to stop every 100 to 150 miles and really haven't a need for aux fuel. I paid 18,744 for a level 1 GL1800 and 13,900 for the kit. The kit was installed when I purchased. I have seen 1800's with near 400K and no major work. I had a 2005 two wheeler GL1800 that I put 40K on and it was just getting broke in, never a problem. Traded for a Spyder RT and sold the RT 10 months later, glad to get back on a Wing. They are great bikes. The CSC is an awesome kit and has a new one piece driveshaft installed for the 2012 GL that has been tested over 100,000 trouble free miles. I love everything about the CSC...

Roadsmith is very good as well, just a matter of what suits you better.For what I paid for my new 2012 with 10 miles on it, I couldn't see paying 28K for 5 year older used 30K trike, but that's just me. I like new...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png