Any Paughco conversion kit users out there?

I don't recall anyone mentioning that they have a Paughco kit... It will be interesting to see if any pop up :)

Hello twowheeler63! I own a 99 Ultra Paughco trike conversion. I really like its handling and its looks. The conversion was done by Shoeman's Custom Cycle in Reno I can post a few pics when I figure this out. Its all black with powdercoated wheels and fenders and chrome baby moon hubcaps. Also, I wish it wasn't so LOUD!

Hello billy:
My name is paul Combe.
I am wanting to trike my 1989 tour glide ultra with the paucgho style conversion kit.
Last time i checked the co. didnt make a swing arm to fit a bike that old.
Do you have the name of a reputable manufacturer that could make a swing arm for me?

I converted by 1991 Tourglide to a trike with a Frankenstien Trike kit. Very good quality and rides great. You have to buy swingarm and rear end from same manufacturer. I believe Paucho kit is only for Sportsters, not big twins. I did my Frankenstien conversion for around $6,500 including raked front tree and rear fenders/wheels.

Hello twowheeler63! I own a 99 Ultra Paughco trike conversion. I really like its handling and its looks. The conversion was done by Shoeman's Custom Cycle in Reno I can post a few pics when I figure this out. Its all black with powdercoated wheels and fenders and chrome baby moon hubcaps. Also, I wish it wasn't so LOUD!

Billy, did you have any battery box relocation issues with your 99 model.
It's ten years newer than mine?
Im not sure when they changed and lowered the frames?
I am told a swing arm from 1991 would work.
Im told that i may run into batt. relocation issues. One of the members told me had to relocate the battery under the passenger seat and use a smaller sportster battery with high output.
While he has had no problems with that set up i am still hoping i can avoid the issue?
It sure seems possible to desighn the swing arm to avoid the batt.
I am going to have to raise the saddle bags.
Does your original shock absorber work with the conversion?
I't would seem the shock mount would have to sit on top of the swing arm?
I wish i could see some some pictures of the set up with the saddle bags removed.
If you have any it would answer a few questions for me.

Paul Combe

Last edited:
hi Paul! The battery on my 99 is directly under the seat and was not an issue. The shocks are original and needed nothing. My ride was wrecked last week by a good 2 wheel rider that got on his first trike, mine....shame on both of us. I will take pics without the bags when its repaired. I had to have the bags lifted. Paughco does sell a slimmer version, looks good and might solve a problem with clearance under the trunk.

Billy, I've been away for a while due to health. Did you get the raked trees? The pictures look good. Do you carry a passenger, and if so, is there any issues with the raised bags?

I've considered the Frankenstein, which is a local shop, but the fender brackets do not allow the bags to be used.

This is nothing remotely related to the Voyager add on, this is a true trike kit, with a more reasonable price tag.

Had my 1993 FLTCU (Tour Glide Classic Ultra) done this year (March 2013). Works and handles great - make sure you get the triple tree kit to rake the front end out a bit. The only problem I had was my front lowers which prevented me from adding the steering damper on and I lost the front fork air suspension after the triple tree conversion.

Art In Motion LLC, in Kissimmee, Florida. the conversion raised my saddlebags and the shocks mounted up without a problem.

Weird handling the first time I rode it. Leaned to turn (habit) coming out of my driveway and kept going straight ahead! Now I'm fully adjusted to trike turning and the thing feels like a slot car around turns.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png