Treated different?

Trikerjim

Tour Master
Feb 12, 2008
Jemison,Alabama
I,ve noticed that some bike riders don't consider trikes as "real" motorcycles. I'm sure most of you have heard the jokes and remarks when your at a rally or big bike event. Just like the long going arguments about American vs Japan ect..I like motorcycles, NO, I love motorcycles. I like all kinds. I marvel at the designs, engineering, performance..
I like HDs but they're not for me, I like "sport bikes", but they're not for me. I like dirt bikes, cruisers, well you get the idea. I've had many bikes over the years but I don't really want any of them back. I have what I want right now!
I think we all share a love of them all and we should try to acknowledge each one for being part of the family.:)

View attachment 45

View attachment 46

PERSONALLY i really don't care what they think

i like riding my trike,and its for my pleasure,not theirs

99 1500/lehman
BK MI VI
PGR MI

Jim, I am like DJS I really don't care what others think. We all like different types of trucks or cars so why should motorcycles be different. I too have had snyde remarks and rude comments. Even though I do have 2 bad knees I don't feel I have to justify to anyone why I ride a trike. Cathy and I are happy and that to me is all that matters. Sometimes people show how dumb they are just by opening their mouth.

Ride safe on whatever U ride just ride

I,ve noticed that some bike riders don't consider trikes as "real" motorcycles. I'm sure most of you have heard the jokes and remarks when your at a rally or big bike event. Just like the long going arguments about American vs Japan ect..I like motorcycles, NO, I love motorcycles. I like all kinds. I marvel at the designs, engineering, performance..
I like HDs but they're not for me, I like "sport bikes", but they're not for me. I like dirt bikes, cruisers, well you get the idea. I've had many bikes over the years but I don't really want any of them back. I have what I want right now!
I think we all share a love of them all and we should try to acknowledge each one for being part of the family.:)

View attachment 45

View attachment 46

Jim- You summed my feeling up to a T.

Trikerjim- well put!

The good comments far outnumber the bad ones. The few times that I do get negatives it is generally good natured ribbing and soon leads to curiosity about trikes, how they ride, differences in styles, etc. If someone comments a trike isn't a real motorcycle, I agree with them, and they are usually taken aback. In the Missouri statutes they say motorcycles and motortricycles and trikes are registered and licensed as motorcycles. Our current ride is a Goldwing trike but formerly we had a VW based Trike Shop Runabout, never was a motorcycle. When we lived in Arkansas the state didn't know what to make of it. It was listed as a "miscellaneous vehicle" but licensed as a motocycle.
Every trike I've seen has the little motorcycle licence plate, so I guess that puts us in the motorcycle class, no matter what it is based on originally.

BTW, I wonder about the Stallion. Car engine, heat and A/C, steering wheel and you sit in it not on it like a motorcycle. Rode (drove?) one at the Davis Rally last year, and the Motor Trike rep said they didn't have a top for it so it wouldn't be considered a car for licencing. But, it is a trike.

I am also looking forward to seeing more non-motorcycle based trike owners on this board, VW based, V-8's like the Ecstacy or Kopavi, and homebuilts - I've seen trikes made out of Fiero's, front-drive cars and even a '57 Chevy. The neat thing about the trike world is the variety and ingenuity in them.

In Alabama anything 3 wheels or less is considered a Motorcycle. And Yes I can take the ribbing. I just dislike the snyde remarks from other riders. You are right sometimes the best thing to do is agree with them, maybe that does make them think about it.

My wife and I don't even have ours done yet but just the mentioning of our plans turns the nose of some so I can guess what we have to look forward to.I totally agree with Trikerjim that every make does something that I really think is cool,be it performance, latest and greatest technology or styling.I think part of the fun of biking or triking is seeing what creative ideas others have come up with for their rides.Enjoy what you ride and let me enjoy mine.

People really look but don't say much bad about it.....until they are out of our hearing range! We've had the Stallion since the middle of January.......
IMG_0099.jpg

.......Mikey and Natalie

I suspect that due to the chair, I really have not "heard" anything said about the Trike at least in ear shot. I usually get lots of that-a-boys and such, but I am very awere of the "differences." I guess should the day ever come that someone does say something about being on a Trike, verses two wheels, I might have to pull out the old favorite of " and just what purpose do those legs of yours serve other then to let you reach to top of the ice box." ;)

Being still new to bikes and this community, I chuckle in how there are those that still look for that box to put you in when you do something "different." I like Tea, and there are those that like Coffee, never could figure out why you coffee drinkers have this problem.;)

I enjoy riding more then most things I have done, thus really don't care what is said and if folks think I am different (imagine that). The only time I draw the line is when folks say "keep your knees in the breeze." Now THAT just fries my bacon, and frankly, I just will not stand for it. :):)

Well I tell you a friend of mine has always had 2 wheelers never said much about my trike . 2 years ago in Sept he purchased a 2002 Wing Champion trike YELLOW .... He had so much fun with it on our last trip to Maine,,, The girls shopped in Kenneybunkport and we sat with the bikes. I thought we were going to have to pass out #s. We had people waiting to talk to us and take picture. Like I said our last trip. my friend died 6 weeks ago I am so happy that he enjoyed that last ride.
Second story: I ride with a group of Harley guys , 6 of them , on Sunday
Well we were riding around , me as usually at the back of the pack. well we got lost. I have a GPS so I took the lead. After about 3 or 4 miles on some fairly twisty roads one guy at the next stop sign pulled up and said slow down a little will ya. I said well I said to him I finally got to drive with out ridding the brakes LOL

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 89
Right on Weels! I love my trike as well, If it wasn't for a trike, I couln't ride anymore. Now that I own one,or it owns me, I wonder why I never did it in the first place! I don't like not having a minibar and hot tub on it though!!Jim

Well we were riding around , me as usually at the back of the pack. well we got lost. I have a GPS so I took the lead. After about 3 or 4 miles on some fairly twisty roads one guy at the next stop sign pulled up and said slow down a little will ya. I said well I said to him I finally got to drive with out ridding the brakes LOL

John I feel So vindicated now

Jim
I agree I've been riding motor cycles for 37 years and I finally made up my mind to trike my wing last year and I am glad I did. All my friends joke with me about it but I still get asked to ride any time there is something going on.

Agree completely

Katfish 16 I agree with what you said. I haven't had many snide comments, just questions about our trike. We are actually in the process of buying a 97 PC800 2 wheeler right now so I can ride either or both. Oh yeah Katfish we made it home the other day and boy is it cold compared to GA.
Chickie:eek:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png