What could cause this problem?

Jun 19, 2009
Darlington
Hi All, I was getting ready to drop my Tri-Glide off to have my heated grips installed, trike started up when I backed it out of my shed. I parked it in front of the house while I went in to get my helmet, etc, came out and when I tried to start it, the flashers and lights would flash, it would alsmost start and then would stop, I thought it was an issue with the key fob, that is usually what happens if you don't have the fob on you.......well, they came and picked it up to take to the shop to do the grips, I told them to let me know what caused it not to start, 2 days later when the grips were done, they said the trike fired up fine the whole time it was there.... when they brought it out of the shop it was running while he showed me how to work the grips and I got on and rode it home, I am only 5 minutes away.....well, you guessed it, I parked it and went to open the shed doors to ride it in and it would not start, flashing lights again .....they came and brought me new batteries for the FOB, that was not the problem, so after a hefty sum for the grips it is back in the shop, have any of you ever had a similiar issue at any time, I am not having much faith in the dealership right now....

I have had the same issue myself. Dealer said it was caused by an almost dead FOB battery. Had it changed late this past riding season. Will see if that fixed it or not.

I'm not sure if it is the fob batteries, but just a side note -- I always changed my batteries every year and carried a spare in the tour pack just in case.

Thanks Bruce, that is probably a great suggestion to replace them each year, my batteries were in the fob since I got it in 2009........but they did put new ones in when they came to tow it just in case, but it still did not work, unless they have to program the fob again at the shop or something, but as of yesterday, it did not work, I will let you know what the problem turns out to be.....

If I remember right, even if the battery failed you should be able to over ride it with the your security code. Did you try that?

Embarassed to say I don't know what security code you mean, something they would have given me when I bought the trike? I guess I had better start to read my owners manual........Isounds like something I should have been well aware of.

you can install a security code (IF YOU WANT TO) YOU DON'T HAVE TO. IF YOU DO WRITE IT DOWN INSIDE YOUR WALLET.
do you get any codes from your problem?

Was it washed after they installed the grips?

After an oil leak was fixed on my TG they washed it. Got it home and it did just what you are saying. Water got inside the fairing and got the radio wet. Took three weeks to dry out now there are no issues. It did toss a code or two. May want to check that. IT was a code for the TSSM. That's the security module and it kept loosing the "password" and would shut off after flashing the lights. The wiring for the TSSM security goes through the radio. (go figure)

If you use only one fob, turn the battery around on the second fob. When you get ready to use the second one the battery will still be fresh.

Your dealer can set your security code for you on the digital technician. It's much easier than setting it yourself. As stated... just remember your code. Write it down in the manual if you need to. I write mine backwards just inside the manual cover that stays in the bike.

I use the same code for my debit card pin #. Easy to remember that way. 5 numbers that the dealer puts in when they activate the security fob. So they can tell ya what the code is.

was it washed after they installed the grips?

After an oil leak was fixed on my tg they washed it. Got it home and it did just what you are saying. Water got inside the fairing and got the radio wet. Took three weeks to dry out now there are no issues. It did toss a code or two. May want to check that. It was a code for the tssm. That's the security module and it kept loosing the "password" and would shut off after flashing the lights. The wiring for the tssm security goes through the radio. (go figure)

if you use only one fob, turn the battery around on the second fob. When you get ready to use the second one the battery will still be fresh.

Your dealer can set your security code for you on the digital technician. It's much easier than setting it yourself. As stated... Just remember your code. Write it down in the manual if you need to. i write mine backwards just inside the manual cover that stays in the bike.

Global Security FAIL! :p

VERY IMPORTANT!! Your tri came with a security code installed, it is in your hand book. You can change it to anything you want. It is very important you do this, and know how to use it. If you are in the middle of nowhere and break or loose your key fob, you can still start and drive your tri.. Example. My motorcycle keys are on a hook in the entry way of our house, JUST close enough to deactivate the alarm (I learned the hard way). Hopped on the scoot, rode 45 miles to a restaurant for breakfast. When I got ready to leave, on comes the alarm when I tried to start it. Checked my pockets, and guess what, my CAR keys. Fortunately I had changed the code and tried it a couple times at home. Started the scoot and got home.

Good Luck!

If you bought the bike from a dealer new they usually program the bike with there code.

But something else was you bike on a hill by chance?? when you tried to start it??

Mine did the same thing, changed the key fob battery and the problem went away. The ones they put in could have been weak and only had enuff charge to work a few times. I'd change em just to be sure.

Mine did the same yesterday morning, I had my cell phone in my pocket with the key fob behind it . Moved the keys to the other pocket and it started up, might just have been a coincidence, but no more problems. Good luck.

Mine did the same yesterday morning, I had my cell phone in my pocket with the key fob behind it . Moved the keys to the other pocket and it started up, might just have been a coincidence, but no more problems. Good luck.

Manual says no closer than 3" to a cell phone, or other working electronic device.

Problem solved....but embarassing to dealership.........the fellow that came to pick up my trike when it did not start, did bring two new batteries for both FOBS, but still no luck........well, you may have guessed it, after several days at the shop.........the batteries were in backwards..........problem solved, a waste of two days that I could have been riding and testing out my new heated grips..........I also got the "pull back" bars which made a tremendous difference, my arms are no longer stretched out but very comfortable.......thanks for all the great suggestions from all of you.......lesson learned, I will keep a spare FOB battery handy and change it every year :>)

Problem solved....but embarassing to dealership.........the fellow that came to pick up my trike when it did not start, did bring two new batteries for both FOBS, but still no luck........well, you may have guessed it, after several days at the shop.........the batteries were in backwards..........problem solved, a waste of two days that I could have been riding and testing out my new heated grips..........I also got the "pull back" bars which made a tremendous difference, my arms are no longer stretched out but very comfortable.......thanks for all the great suggestions from all of you.......lesson learned, I will keep a spare FOB battery handy and change it every year :>)
Yep done that myself too...live and Learn...LOL

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png