vw white smoke trouble

Jun 7, 2009
i got a vw trike and it blows a lot of white smoke from exhust and was wondering what could be the cause of this

Well::: It is not water unless your VW is a water cooled engine from a Rabbit. Oil is normally blue so that leaves fuel. Sounds like you might be real rich from MAYBE a stuck float or something. Just a guess on my part. Ted

I'd look at the breathing system. I've seen this in air cooled VWs where additional carburetors and or displacement are added and the crankcase is not vented properly. If the oil does not get hot enough (can happen if fuel system is too rich) water never completely evaporates from the crankcase, and can cause this. Normally oil will be blue in the exhaust. Some oil when first started is not that unusual in these engines as some sits in the heads under the valve covers, which are horizontal and I assume gets past valve guides. Check your oil fill area and see if there are any signs of white oily foam - if so you need to get your engine hotter - by rejetting the carb(s) and / or making sure the original air flap thermostat is functional (frequently not an option - aftermarket tin does not have this) or removing any external oil cooler. I always add a crankcase vent box to all VW engines along with valve cover vents. This is especially important in larger (>1600) displacement engines.

hold a white rag against the exhaust and smell it and thay will tell you what you have, that is a new one for me,lol but hey i am an old dog and might learn a new trick,lol

if the engine is blowing white smoke, it tells me of 2 things water in your oil or too lean, if it was too rich it would blow black smoke,
my 2 cents worth
ray

Too rich would be black smoke. Blue, or white smoke just about has to be oil. Is it coming "out of the exhaust" or maybe just coming off the pipes from a drip or leak? It would not be beyond the possibility that an enemy dumped some oil in your fuel either. Does it still run fine, how do the plugs look?

Light colored (white looking but generally very light blue) smoke is an indicator that one or more sets of rings is not seating. My guess would be (not knowing all the facts) that the engine has set idle for some time in the near past. Before you panic and go tearing it down (or paying to have it done), go to your local parts house and get a bottle of 'sea foam' and follow the instructions. If stuck rings are to be freed, 'sea foam' will do it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png