seat pad

Nov 25, 2012
New Market MD
My wife had an injury years ago to her tail bone. She needs a real good pad for the tri glide passenger seat. ANy suggestions or recommendations?

I swear by the Bead Rider driver's seat pad. They have pillion pads, too. My wife, however, does not feel the same about it. She has hip and sciatica problems and needs to be raised a few inches; we will probably get her a custom-upholstered cushion that will necessitate raising the grab bars.

I have found the HD Zeppelin seat comfy with 2 adjustable air bladders in back and 3 in front. The only issue my wife had was it was too wide for her. I told her she was too short for it (5 ft nothing)...the couch was not as comfortable that night!

Try wheel chair cushion egg crate foam. My wife uses it in the car, on airplanes, on her office seat, and everywhere she sits. It is dense and spreads out the pressure points. I plan to base the top of the cushion I will have made for her on that.. If you have ever used an egg crate foam mattress topper, you will understand. My wife needs wheel chair grade foam, not mattress grade foam.

Air Hawk seat pads are adjustable and fairly inexpensive for the benefits it provides...I have one which works well for my lower back ache....ThumbUp

I have an air hawk I carry with me all the time. It works great when the lower back starts acting up.

I have found the HD Zeppelin seat comfy with 2 adjustable air bladders in back and 3 in front. The only issue my wife had was it was too wide for her. I told her she was too short for it (5 ft nothing)...the couch was not as comfortable that night!

Bozo,
Will you ever learn, poor Diane, she takes a beating from you.
Any way, as for the seat we bought Gel seats at Wally World ($20) and we love them, BUT, they don't carry them any more. I don't know if they have them on line to be ordered (yes they do), so you may try Walmart.com to see if they do. For the price you coudn't beat them. I also use a piece of 1/2" foam under the sheep skin once in a while to give our tails a different pressure point when we are on a very long trip, like 12+ hours. It seems to work. All you do is cut the foam to the size and shape of the seat you are using, each seat is different so be careful. You may want to cut it a little larger on the area towards the trunk so it gives more cushion and have her try it, then make cuts as she thinks it will help her tail bone.
Good luck because being comfortable is the main thing on riding any distance!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Last edited:
I would not leave home without my AirHawkThumbUp

I left home with my Airhawk on the back seat, and it's no longer around (it's on the road somewhere).

For your wife and her tailbone, I got the Airhawk for that very reason, and it absolutely killed my tailbone. I tried it for a few years at all different pressures, positions, etc., and was glad it went out on it's own. I settled for lambswool seat with the tailbone area cut out, and it is much better.

Pro-Pad and a few other places make a gel cushion pad with the orthotic cut out for the tailbone. You might want to check those places by just doing a google for gel pad seats. As someone mentioned you can also try out different seats at HD and then you could try the Hammock style or the Zeppelin style. Also HD came out with a Zeppelin style pad that just goes over your stock seat. It has a small built in hand pump to raise the pressure or a release valve to lower the pressure. A lot cheaper than a complete seat and about the same price as the gel pads. I believe the price is $119. each for the rider and passenger pad. The advantage of variable pressure is exactly that, you can vary it as you ride and need a different level of padding verses the gel pad that is only one set padding rate. I myself am looking at the HD Zeppelin pads for my trike.

2011 Merlot and Black TG. Lift kit and deflectors from Dennis, LED headlight and taillights, Cat removed, Stage 1 with 2012 CVO slipons and PCV tuner, more bling (chrome) to make it go faster.

I agree with WiMoonshinner - American Motorcycle Specialties is really good. We have used ours for about a year now and they are holding up very well. Ours are foam and gel combination. These have helped both of us to be able to ride on longer trips.
Hope you find what will help you

For $20 you can take the Wally World gel seat and cut the tail bone area out of it and try it, not much to loose if it doesn't work out.
Good luck!

regards,

Rosy
From NH

Hey Bozo, my wife said the same thing about the zeppelin. I guess I was lucky my passenger part of the seat wouldn't pump up so I returned it and got a Hammock. We really like It! ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buzzruzz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buzzruzz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png