Trip to a triple murder spot.

THUNDER DOWN UNDER

I, like all men, enjoy some thunder between my legs. But this time its form the supercharged ea81 Subaru Brat engine. That was after the video (at the end of this rant) was taken. The VW 1916 engine form Brazil never did run well. Like all vW stories it’s a long one and besides…I’ve moved on now.
The Brat engine (Brumby here in Oz) is an old fashioned engine being not OHC. The little engine would fire up easily. Mated to the VW auto transmission from a VW Fastback of circa 1970 and you have a nice drivetrain for a VW style trike. Then I wanted more.

IMG_0003-18.jpg

Fast track 8 months and the Toyota SC12 supercharger was installed. 82hp on the dyno machine saw a rise of 23hp. And this is at 4-5 psi only, very modest boost. Then I added the water injection to keep things cool and add efficiency. I was ready but not for that thunder!
I knew I’d have extra power on the road but the extra herbs from take off startled me. The trike quickly accelerated to change into second on the “slush box” (hence my user name) and the front end wanted to rise off the tar. I was going to enjoy this!.

H8320003.jpg

I tackled a mountain slope normally riding at 45mph flat out in second gear with the VW now in top gear going around 65mph and it felt more was there.

H8310001.jpg

This was worth all the work I’d done. Powering out of a sweeper I gunned the throttle to get the kickdown to second I desired and “Tweety” the trike squatted its rear end down while the hot rod 600-16 nearly lost traction. Fun fun fun.

H8320001.jpg

My wife and I hooked up the caravan and put Rosie our Foxy pup into her kennel- yes on the trike one side of the roof…yes roof. She got a warm ride there from the warm air from the heaters……I wont explain all of this lol. Off we went to the Stringybark Caravan Camping Ground near a place called Tolmie in Victoria Australia, the location of 3 murders of police in the late 1880’s by Ned Kelly, a world reknown killer that is warmly embraced by most real colonial Aussies. His steel body armour is legendary. His last words from the gallows “such is life”.

Many books are on the stories. A fourth cop ran and saved his life by hiding in a wombat hole. A large wombat is the size of a small bear. He lived to tell the account and eventually after a shootout at a place called Glenrowan he was captured and hung.

The trike towed the 500 kgm caravan (trailer) easily no effortlessly!!. 60mph was easy. Sun was shining through the windscreen, a little light rain so on went the wiper…..a little mist so on went the demister. Lol.
A great trip. Memorable for the thunder between my legs. And that’s what its all about….Smokey Dawson

Thankyou for your comments. Creature comforts especially in inclement weather allow riding more often. We live 2 hours from Melbourne and frequently ride there so why remain cold when warm air through the radiator makes it pleasant?

Thanks Trike talk for another new segment.

Great looking ride, watching the video just makes me want to get out and ride but the temps here is in the teens and just can't make myself get out there. Anyway you trike looks great and looks very well designed for comfort. Ride safe and have fun:wave4:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry Martin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry Martin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png