Wiring a voyager kit to a 2003 FLHTCUI

Jan 5, 2013
Purvis, MS, USA
Need some help here. Need advice on wiring a voyager kit to a 2003 FLHTCUI.
This is a used kit. I have no manual.
Is the voyager kit setup as a turn, brake, and run lights or just brake and run?

I added lights to the fenders on my Voyager when i had it. I used one of those import to domestic adapters and combined the lights on the kit but left the lights on the bike normal. The LED lights I used were stop and tail, surface mount & cost about 8 bucks each on Ebay. With the tail lights on, when I turned the signal on the LED would flash on the proper side and when the brake was pressed the brake light on the opposite side would come on and the signal would continue flashing. Without a turn signal on all the brake lights would come when the brakes were pressed. Worked great and looked great, still does, and was bought at Walmart for 15 bucks, easy to install.

View attachment 6997

Thanks guys,

Woolie, where did you make the tie in on the bike? What wires on the kit did you combine? Where did you get the adapter?

Big Denny, there are 4.

I bought the adapter in the trailer light section at Walmart but I have seen them in several auto parts stores in the trailer light and wiring section, the size was about 2 inch by 2 inch and a half inch thick, really small. It has a connection in for ground, left turn, right turn, Stop and tail lights. The connection out was ground, left turn, right turn, and tail lights. It electronically combines the stop and turn lights so they don't require a separate bulb. It will work with regular bulbs but I wanted LEDs for brightness, convenience, and longevity. I would definitely use LEDs on a Harley to prevent overload especially if adding a trailer with the voyager kit. I bought the lights on Ebay, cheap, just search for LED tail and stop lights. When I buy something like that I usually get a spare or 2, they might be hard to find when you need a replacement. Where to connect? I would get one of these
Ride Time Technology - Quick-Connect Accessory & Trailer Wiring Adapter and make all my connections there. The plug is probably under the seat near the rear fender, I would run a pigtail from there to the voyager and trailer plug and connect it with a quick disconnect plug to make troubleshooting easier. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Here is something I found on another forum. I have quoted it as it is very informative

"I just finished wiring my '99 E-Glide classic for my trailer. It really was'nt too tough, but I had help from a company called Ride Time Technology. They make a bunch of neat lighting options for Harley's. One thing inparticular is their wiring adapter for trailers. http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm
I cannot speak directly for your year & model of bike, but on my '99 under the seat there is a wiring harness that plugs into another set of wires that leads to the rear lights & tour pac. The adapter from Ride Time simply inserts in between the 2 harnesses and had pig tailed wires that are all labeled for connection to your trailer wire loom. ( brake, stop, ground, lft turn, & right turn) 5 wires.
From the pig tails I butt spliced in my 5 wire loom and ran it along with the stock wiring harness down under and towards the rear lights and out under the rear fender ( it was kind of a pain, but there are tabs under the rear fender that keep the wires up and away from the tire) I mounted a 5 pin 1" round trailer connector on the under side of my hitch and connected the wires.
Before I get too carried away, I must say that I converted my trailer lights to all LED. I did so because I have read that some people have had issues when they hook up their trailers with the electronic turn signal module. It senses the additional drain on the electrical system and creates issues. With the LED lighting there is virtually little to no additional "drain" on the stock lighting system, and I have not had a single problem.
If your trailer does not have LED lighting, it may be somewhat of a crap-shoot as to whether or not you will have issues. If your trailer does'nt have an abundance of marker ( decorative) lights you might not have issues.
Ride Time also makes a "Load Equilizer" , which I dont know a whole lot about, but as I understand it a load equilizer basicly will recieve the signals from the bike that certain lights need to be activated( brakes, or turn signals , etc...) and then sends power to those lights from the battery itself, not through the stock wiring system. Thus avoiding the issues with the T.S.M. (turn signal module)
I hope this helps some, the adapter from ride time cost around 30 or 40 bucks and I ordered on-line & had it at my door in 2 days, and kept me from tearing up the wiring on the bike!
Just reading your post again and you might want to check with your trailer manufacturer , but they really should have wired the brake light on the wing on in along with the regular brake lights on the trailer. You should'nt have to use the 5th wire for that. Ideally in a 5 wire bike trailer your 5 wires are Stop, Brake, Right Turn, Left Turn, and Ground.
The Ground wire is included because a lot of bike trailers are made from fiberglass or ABS and it makes it hard to obtain ground through the ball like most automotive trailer set-ups.
Like I said, I hope this helps some. Hollar back if I can help more."

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTRuf

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTRuf
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png