Finding Neutral

Does anyone else have hard time finding neutral with bike running.
2012 Triglide.:Shrug:

How many miles do you have on trike. As they get more miles it will wear in. Putting a gear box oil in the transmission will help, I use 75-140 Amsoil some others on here have their favorite that work well also. You may also need the clutch adjusted. Good luck Dave

EVERYONE with a Harley with less than a few thousand miles has trouble finding neutral. It is easier if it is turned off, or rolling. Like nearly everyone, you will roll up to a stoplight and forget to down shift it. Standing still in 3rd or 4th gear it takes finesse to get it into 1st gear. You will get used to it, and easier with more miles on it.

If you come to a stop and can't get into neutral cuz the tranny's hung up, push down on the shifter slightly and let the clutch out enough til you fell the friction point and it'll shift down one gear.

A better way is to downshift before coming to a stop: Press on the shifter a little then blip the throttle and your tranny will do what you want. These new clutches seem to drag pretty bad and making the clutch plates turn at a much different speed (than idle) takes away the pressure on the shift arm.

I'd much rather have the old clutch and tranny that was in our old EG.

Phu Cat

I had trouble finding neutral on my T/G, But after almost 15 thousand miles i find it easier, But that has nothing to do with it breaking in , It's just that i've got use to it's quirks, I know this because when my Son who has many bikes' when he gets on my T/G he can't find neural without a few choice words..:Shrug:

My 2010 Triglide shifted into neutral, engine running, with ease from first drive home from the dealer. My 2012 was a total pain in the @$$. I turned the clutch adjustment about three turns tighter and it behaved perfectly just like the 2010. Something to look at, or ask the dealer to look at it.

How many miles do you have on trike. As they get more miles it will wear in. Putting a gear box oil in the transmission will help, I use 75-140 Amsoil some others on here have their favorite that work well also. You may also need the clutch adjusted. Good luck Dave

I did exactly the same. My local HD dealer sold it to me to make it easier to find neutral and also shift smoother. It seems to have helped a lot.

It's not just Harley's my BMW is a bugger when it comes to finding neutral. The Klictronic doesn't help as there is no "feel" from the pedal. I try to get into first as I roll to a stop if not second is still low enough to pull away.

I only have 7k miles on the clock it may improve with mileage.

Does anyone else have hard time finding neutral with bike running.
2012 Triglide.:Shrug:

My TG does great until the oil temp gets over 220*. Something I have always done is adjust the clutch with the oil as hot as you can handle the parts & work with, and I don't back the adjuster off a full 1/2 turn. Maybe 1+ flat on the nut. Also keep the cable gap at no more than 1/16". I haven't done the TG as yet. It hasn't been real bad after the first adj. when just about a week old by the dealer. But the problem is still there !
Just my opinion........

:Trike1:

I was having a problem with getting my 2012 TG into neutral.
I finally raised enough stink at the stealers shop that adjusted the clutch.
That took care of the problem.

Last edited:
I've never had any problems with any of my Harley's once the clutch had been properly adjusted.
+1..A properly adjusted clutch make a huge difference finding Neutral.
Plus I am not to happy with the Harley self adjusting primary shoe. Do not feel it adjusts the chain properly..

I've never had a Harley that I didn't have problems getting into neutral at some time. Easier as the bike gets older.
As has been said before, it's easier to find neutral as your slowly coming to a stop and before actually stopping. Also blipping the throttle helps a little at other times, but as a whole Harley's clutch is the worst of any bike - that I've ever ridden.

Save the wave :wave4:

but as a whole Harley's clutch is the worst of any bike - that I've ever ridden.

Have to agree Gary. But I've never riden a bike that didn't have a wet clutch. When we look at the tiny amount of space between clutch and friction plates with the clutch pulled in, there's no wonder why wet clutches drag. And our 2012 Tglide is the worst we've ever had.

Phu Cat

Plus I am not to happy with the Harley self adjusting primary shoe. Do not feel it adjusts the chain properly..

I agree 100% on the primary adjuster, to me it keeps the chain way tighter than it should be. The sad part is there are not many alternatives out there I would trust to replace it with right now. Hayden has come out with one but I won't run it until I see how well it holds up for others. Baker has come out with a manual adjustable replacement, problem is you either have to buy one of his $1,000+ primary covers to get the window for adjusting it and checking the adjustment, or remove your primary cover each time you want to adjust it or check the adjustment.

I agree 100% on the primary adjuster, to me it keeps the chain way tighter than it should be. The sad part is there are not many alternatives out there I would trust to replace it with right now. Hayden has come out with one but I won't run it until I see how well it holds up for others. Baker has come out with a manual adjustable replacement, problem is you either have to buy one of his $1,000+ primary covers to get the window for adjusting it and checking the adjustment, or remove your primary cover each time you want to adjust it or check the adjustment.
Yea I was looking at this one..I have used there evo model one for years and loved it..
I see they have one for the 2007 and later models now..
Southern Oregon Hot Bikes Products

Yea like to see more reviews on all those units too..just read some reviews on the SOHOT wedge..

Harleys have always been a pain in trying to find neutral. My 2007 is like that and so was my 2003, 2002, 2000, 1997, 1993, and 1992. Don't know why they can't correct that. Oh, and more miles on mine did NOT make it any easier.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png