Automatic Compression Release

Jul 30, 2012
Dandridge, TN
Does anyone know if the 103 CID engine in the Harley Tri -Glide has automatic compression releases? My reason for asking is it is a set-up option that you have to set before using any downloads for the Power Vision system. I know that my 110 had them, but not sure about the 103. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tracy

Thanks Everyone, it is so cool to be able to get information when need. I love this web site. My hat is off to all the people involved in building this wonderful home for all of us Trikers, thanks again.

A compression release (electric or manual) opens a valve when starting the engine they are usually mounted on the cylinder heads.. Helps start the bike easier instead of having all that pressure building up before starting the engine..Helps with other things like draining the battery faster and starter kickback etc..

Thanks for the explanation. Kind of makes you wonder why Kimber45's dealer tried to sell him this when it's already on the trike. I realized the TriGlide is "new" but come on, it's been around now for going on five years and they still don't know things like this? Kind of scary for those of us that know next to nothing about engines being sold things that we don't need or already have.

Thanks for the explanation. Kind of makes you wonder why Kimber45's dealer tried to sell him this when it's already on the trike. I realized the TriGlide is "new" but come on, it's been around now for going on five years and they still don't know things like this? Kind of scary for those of us that know next to nothing about engines being sold things that we don't need or already have.
Thats is why everyone needs to do there research before heading to any dealer as in some cases they will sell you the kitchen sink if they could..

Reminds me car dealers trying to sell you undercoating and other nick nacks that puts more money in there pockets..

OH NO, you mean I didn't need undercoating?!?!?!?!

Seriously, this site provides so much good information on this site that before I do ANYTHING to the trikes engine, exhaust, etc., I'll be checking on here for good, solid information.

You would be amazed at the limited knowledge a good many dealers truly poses, they give good dealers a bad name. Harley Davidson started installing automatic compression releases on all Police 103's later in the 07 MY once they found the Motor Officers where having starter kick back on heat soaked startups. The only 103's which don't come with ACR's as standard equipment are dealer built 103's.

A compression release (electric or manual) opens a valve when starting the engine they are usually mounted on the cylinder heads.. Helps start the bike easier instead of having all that pressure building up before starting the engine..Helps with other things like draining the battery faster and starter kickback etc..

What trikemutha said is correct but just to clarify, the compression release does not open a intake or exhaust valve but is actually the valve itself , it vents the head to the atmosphere and closes after the engine starts.
The manual release is pushed in by hand on each head , its located near the spark plug, and stays open until cylinder compresion forces it closed. The automatic one, located closer to the middle of the head is opened by an electrical pulse to a coil which is part of the unit itself and closes the same as the manual valve. Both types take a few good pumps of the pistons at speed (idle speed will usually do it but I give it a little rev up)to close so just cranking the motor usually wont close them by itself.

You would be amazed at the limited knowledge a good many dealers truly poses, they give good dealers a bad name. Harley Davidson started installing automatic compression releases on all Police 103's later in the 07 MY once they found the Motor Officers where having starter kick back on heat soaked startups. The only 103's which don't come with ACR's as standard equipment are dealer built 103's.

That is again correct Mike. I had them put mech. releases in my 2010 103 build. In fact, it starts better with only the rear cyl. released.

But, don't forget to use them......... so I reset them after shutdown instead of start-up. A little hotter on the finger that way, but it helps my memory.:D

That is again correct Mike. I had them put mech. releases in my 2010 103 build. In fact, it starts better with only the rear cyl. released.

But, don't forget to use them......... so I reset them after shutdown instead of start-up. A little hotter on the finger that way, but it helps my memory.:D

My 120 sure won't start without them, and its particular on how long they stay in. When I'm doing a hot start after getting gas I was having to hold the back one in because they were popping off too soon. I ended up having Dan Baisley make me a set of his modified releases. He builds the releases based on the size engine and compression, pricey at $178 for a set but well worth it when you consider I'm still running the original starter which came with my 06. The only thing I've done is install larger battery cables.

My 120 sure won't start without them, and its particular on how long they stay in. When I'm doing a hot start after getting gas I was having to hold the back one in because they were popping off too soon. I ended up having Dan Baisley make me a set of his modified releases. He builds the releases based on the size engine and compression, pricey at $178 for a set but well worth it when you consider I'm still running the original starter which came with my 06. The only thing I've done is install larger battery cables.
wow thats cool..you were still able to use the same starter..them 120CU are a hoot to start with out the compression releases..

Harley actually did a recall on the 2007 Police 103's to install the ACR's. My trike is built off a 07 Police Road King that I bought new from Harley. It was a factory demo in the northeast and when winter set in they sold it rather then ship it back to York. I am a LEO and was able to purchase it in October of 06. I got the recall in the spring of 07. They have worked flawlessly since installed.

Have ya thought about a spark advance/retard left grip ??? (GRIN!:laugh:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png