battery life

A couple years ago the battery went bad on my Electra Glide, no warning. We were riding and it was fine, we shut it off for a break and it was gone from then on. Couldn't push it or boost it to start it. Had to borrow a battery from my brother to get the bike home. It will go bad when you least expect it.

You could buy a battery analizer if you are flush, or just have someone at an autoparts store use theirs.....
They are a bit expensive to just use once a year or so.

Are you talking about a load test? If so they are not expensive.

No not just a load test. The analyzer tests the voltage under a slight load, then watches the volt drop, then watches the recovery of the voltage back to a static charge that batteries should have. The draw test is a low amperage draw as to not damage the cells. But just enough to make a slight voltage drop. Then rates the battery for life. Quite accurate.
To get an idea for current price do a search for battery analyzers. It is much less expensive to just stop by an auto parts store, or any place that sells batteries. Batteries Plus is one place here.

My 2012 battery died last week , just replaced with H D new one . Before it went dead had the check engine and battery light come on while going down hwy. the volt gauge also dropped below 12 volts . I bought and installed the new one . Took it for a ride and the check engine and battery light came on again . Took it to H D shop only thing they could find was battery bolts needed about half turn more on each . Went for a ride yesterday and volt gauge went down to 10 volts twice . Has anyone had this happen ? Trike still in warranty but still had to pay half hour labor !

My 2012 battery died last week , just replaced with H D new one . Before it went dead had the check engine and battery light come on while going down hwy. the volt gauge also dropped below 12 volts . I bought and installed the new one . Took it for a ride and the check engine and battery light came on again . Took it to H D shop only thing they could find was battery bolts needed about half turn more on each . Went for a ride yesterday and volt gauge went down to 10 volts twice . Has anyone had this happen ? Trike still in warranty but still had to pay half hour labor !
did they check the regulator and stator voltage readings..one or the other is bad..I am guessing the regulator at this point..If you have a manual and a meter you can check youself..

Failing during 2 yr warranty, that seems like a pretty crummy battery. I just replaced my wifes Sportster battery after 6 years. It still started fine but she added a bunch of LEDs and I didn't trust it sitting for a few hours somewhere with the lights running. I've never had one go bad in under 5 years while using a tender whenever it's not being run.
But, when I bought my Victory which sat in a showroom for two years with only 35 miles on it as a 'demo' the battery was dead and they had to replace it. That was 4 years ago, with a tender attached now.

I have seen charging systems kill a battery..Lucky I am still using my orginal 2010 battery and seems to be still holding up..

Like trikermutha said, might be your regulator. HD had a regulator recall campaign for early 2012's. Click on the bulletin number and you can check yours out to see if it is part of the recall M1325.

Now that is where a battery analyzer would be handy ! Well worth the time taken to have the battery tested before purchase of a new one.
My regulator went out on my 2012 trike also just after I bought it. It did the same thing you are describing. Harley had a bad run of them out of China!

Take this suggestion and save yourself some grief. Every three years switch your battery out. Like the gentleman said, some last 2 yrs and some last 7. Nothing is worse than to be on a trip or a ride and have the battery die. And when they die most do not give you a warning. It's not worth the headache to have to worry about it. I usually buy a Harley battery for my Ultra and a Westco, for my "other" bike. (I understand I'm not permitted to mention it on this site)

I have a 2015 Triglide, just installed 4th battery. They keep telling me all systems fine, must be bad batteries ( OEM replacements under warranty) . Can't believe this is true. Anybody else have this problem?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SabaRaba

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SabaRaba
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png