oil leak

Jun 24, 2012
Sardis MS USA
I just bought my trike have ridden it less than 300 miles and went out and started it yesterday and let it idle for a little bit and after I shut it off there was a good size puddle of oil under it . Looks like it is coming from the fly wheel seal is this a hard job to fix I don't know any thing about a VW.

It may just be the O-rings between the block and the oil cooler that is inside the fan housing. If it is coming from the top and dripping down that would be the most likely place for an oil leak.

MD

So are VW engines dependable? I have only had my trike for about 6, 7 months now and warmer weather is coming so. I would like to have it tune up, new wiring change over to electronic ignition etc... I think at this point needs timing adjustment.

It all depends on who builds them and who maintains them. I had mine built to save time, and possible mistakes I may make, not being an expert in vw air cooled engines. The builder who did mine made everything from full blown race engines, to totally stock ones. Mine is as smooth as can be, lot of get up and go, and I wouldnt hesitate to take it on an extended trip anywhere. Never overheats or burns oil, and only a little cold blooded due to the longer runners from having a single carb.
I have had a couple bugs in the past. One ran forever (80000 mi since the time I bought it) with just a little maintanence, while the other had problems from the start, and I still managed to tune it and keep it limping along all through college.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png