Bike to Trike

Dec 16, 2012
Lawton , OK, US
Dropped off my 2009 GW Tuesday so that they can begin the tear down phase of my bike. The Trike Kit (CSC Cobra XL) was delivered yesterday to the dealer (Altus Motorsports, OK). Suppose to be completed by next Friday (It's like Christmas all over again). I can't wait for them to finish.pepper Had a Yamaha Stratoliner with a Texas Sidecar, great bike, but I took a Trike for a test drive and was hooked. Got lucky and found a brand new 2009 GW loaded with everything and got the dealer to even throw in CB with 2 Helmets and headsets. Put on 1000 miles and ordered my Trike Kit. Anyone have suggestions on going from a sidecar to a trike? I have a box full of after market chrome items to install once I get the trike back.

Suggestion, just ride and enjoy. Your story is similiar to mine - bought a new 2008 in 2010 rode it for 800 miles and trike it. We never looked back at the two wheels, we enjoyed as two wheels, but much more as a trike. Meet a lot of very nice people on trikes and motorcycles.

I'll bet there won't be much sleeping next Thursday!!!!!

Dropped off my 2009 GW Tuesday so that they can begin the tear down phase of my bike. The Trike Kit (CSC Cobra XL) was delivered yesterday to the dealer (Altus Motorsports, OK). Suppose to be completed by next Friday (It's like Christmas all over again). I can't wait for them to finish.pepper Had a Yamaha Stratoliner with a Texas Sidecar, great bike, but I took a Trike for a test drive and was hooked. Got lucky and found a brand new 2009 GW loaded with everything and got the dealer to even throw in CB with 2 Helmets and headsets. Put on 1000 miles and ordered my Trike Kit. Anyone have suggestions on going from a sidecar to a trike? I have a box full of after market chrome items to install once I get the trike back.

I had a hack on my Harley, then we got a trike and I sold the chair and went 2 wheels with the FLHS. Some things I noticed when going from a sidecar to trike. Oh, of course, YMMV. ;)

When taking off from a stop, the sidecar would pull the rig toward the right a bit. Trikes go straight. I tended to compensate for the pull, and never realized it until I got on a trike.
Same for braking, depending how the brake on the sidecar was set. Brake set for weight in the car with nothing in it, the sidecar wheel could lock up easily. Put weight in the sidecar and set the brake a bit soft the sidecar would tend to push the rig to the left while stopping.

Turning or running curves to the left it tended to try to "skid" and sort of feel like it was pushing a bit away from the direction of the curve. And, of course, when turning right the weight shifts toward the trike and you can bring the sidecar wheel off the ground. On a trike none of any of that happens in turns, It reacts the same turning both ways.

A trike has stuff sticking out on both sides, not just to the right. Watch out for curbs, poles, gas pumps and such. If you can reach out and touch something on either side, your're too close. You wont have that wind blast from the right. On the HD with a sidecar at speed air would be pushed off the windshield of the hack at me. It was like a hard wind blowing at me from the right front all the time. If you rode solo you had one heck of a trunk for groceries, camping gear, extra riding gear, raingear and such. That is mostly gone, and you are back to the stock and kit trunks. No more taking the seat out of the hack, filling it with ice and beer and being the most popular rider on the run. :Angel:

Those are some differences off the top of my head, there may be more, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. You'll be able to outrun almost everyone through the twisties once you get the experience. Cruisers, the majority of standards and touring bikes are limited by lean angle, and sidecar rigs are so squirrely in turns compared to a trike you'll be taking it easy in curves while your riding buddies are working hard to keep up or stay ahead of you.
Have fun! Oh - welcome to Trike Talk from SW MO!

Ozarkryder ;aka Iron Butt, I can relate to all that you replied on about the Hack, especially the wind from the sidecars windshield and the workout I would get when running through the mountains. Thank you for your input it was much appreciated, I thought that it was only me that had those problems with my Hack. Can't wait till I pick up my Trike...

I thought that it was only me that had those problems with my Hack. QUOTE]

Ahh, the dirty little secrets of riding a sidecar rig. ;)
My wife really hated when I would fly the chair.
I often had a bruise on my right leg from her pounding on
it while yelling "Put this wheel on the ground!" It is one
of the reasons we have a trike, though a minor one.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png