Differential bearings --Tri Glide

Jan 15, 2013
Slidell, LA
Can anyone gives me the dimensions, or "bearing industry number" for the Harley Tri Glide differential case bearings, part # 83317-09. I'm converting a Toyota differential to chain drive and knowing what bearing Harley used would be helpful.

Bob

I just looked in both the service and parts manuals for my '10 TG. Completely useless. No details at all. I would recommend going into an HD dealer and check if parts dept has one in stock. Say you want to look at it first. Maybe you will find some #'s on it. Or just measure it. Then tell them " never mind".

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the dealer but there are so few Tri Glides out there, and they're so new, I doubt it's a part that the dealer stocks. The bearings I had in mind for the Toyota differential conversion are #6209, but I was just curious about what Harley used.

Bob

just currious ... cant you use the ones in the toy rear.... and how big of a sprocket can you get in there i did one yrs ago an around 40 was as big as would fit

just currious ... cant you use the ones in the toy rear.... and how big of a sprocket can you get in there i did one yrs ago an around 40 was as big as would fit

The stock bearings are tapered rollers, and aren't sealed, so they have to run in oil. By converting to sealed ball bearings, enclosing the differential case in a cover, and packing it with grease, the diff can be run without oil. Your right about the Toyota housing being to small to take an appropriate size sprocket. I'm going to build my own housing and axle tubes, and use the Toyota differential with a 51 tooth sprocket. Axles will be stock Toyota, shortened and re-splined.

Bob

The stock bearings are tapered rollers, and aren't sealed, so they have to run in oil. By converting to sealed ball bearings, enclosing the differential case in a cover, and packing it with grease, the diff can be run without oil. Your right about the Toyota housing being to small to take an appropriate size sprocket. I'm going to build my own housing and axle tubes, and use the Toyota differential with a 51 tooth sprocket. Axles will be stock Toyota, shortened and re-splined.

Bob

ah was wondering ...
i used the stock tapered bearings on my hd with the corrvette rear.... packed em in grease and made a makeshift gasket to keep some of the dirt out..... about 40k mile an no issues.... if i were doing again probably go with a straight one.... because of the taper i needed to stop the cases from spreading.... not so with straight bearings....

i would go to the locall bearing supply and get a bearing with the right id,,,, you are making you own housing any way..

my guess would be the hd would be a different size...

also wouldnt surprise me if you couldnt buy a bearing to fit the hd without going to the stealer... i mean dealer
g luck with the build

i would go to the locall bearing supply and get a bearing with the right id,,,, you are making you own housing any way..

. also wouldnt surprise me if you couldnt buy a bearing to fit the hd without going to the stealer... i mean dealer
g luck with the build

No doubt the Harley bearing is an off the shelf bearing, but all I can find is a Harley part number, no dimensions or bearing industry number. The bearing I'm considering is a 6209. It's a 45mm bore, 85mm OD and 19mm wide. The bearing journals on the Toyota differential case are 1.782" dia., and the 45mm bore of the 6209 is 1.772" so I'll have to machine ~.010 off the journals. Your point about home made housings and tapered roller bearing preload being difficult to control is well taken. That problem is eliminated with the ball bearings as you noted.

Bob

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png