Sluggish throttle return

Sep 1, 2011
Cookeville,Tn. USA
I have 2012 GL1800 Trike with only 1200 miles and it has developed a slow throttle return. It is only 5 months old. It has Kuryakyn ISO grips that cover the heated grips and I put a Kuryakyn throttle rocker on it as well. I removed the four screws holding the throttle rocker with no help. Anything that you folks know I can do to fix the problem? I can't believe the cables need lubrication this early. The closest Honda dealer is about 65 miles away. Any suggestions?

I'm wondering if you have a rake kit and risers installed? The risers especially sometimes have a tendency to "stretch" the cables which were cut to the length required for the original configuration. I have read that it is sometimes necessary to install new, longer cables. Just a thought based on zero real knowledge.

Did the sticky throttle start before or after the Kury parts were installed??

I have a rakked front end and MBL risers and did not have a problem.

Did the sticky throttle start before or after the Kury parts were installed??

I have a rakked front end and MBL risers and did not have a problem.

The Kuryakyn grips were on at time of purchase and I added the throttle rocker a few weeks ago but haven't ride it since but did back the screws out with no help....

Has to be the throttle cables or twist grip are in a bind somewhere. 1st thing I would check would be to see if the grip could be pushed up to far and is rubbing on the brake reservoir. Try moving it out just a little to see if the bind is there. If you have not removed and reinstalled something around the handlebars to recheck, look to see if the cables were installed over or under the right handlebar by the trike installer. If the cables a stretched tight and are on top of the handlebar, they may need to be moved to under the handlebar to give more play to the cables. Also try loosening the cable adjustment nuts at the grip and move them as far out as possible to give lengthen the cables a little. Just some simple things to look at that I have run across.

It's probably been there all along. BUT, without a rocker, your hand wraps around the grip, and typically, you roll forward on the throttle without realizing it. The rocker eliminates this, which is why it's "suddenly" noticeable. See if your bike has a rake kit; look SPECIFICALLY where the throttle cables run between the fork tube and motorcycle frame @ the right bar. There is a "loop" that holds the throttle cable in place, if this isn't straight, the cable will bind on the fork tube causing this sort of an issue. Use a 12mm combination wrench, loosten the pinch bolt, and rotate the "loop". See if your throttle feels loose again. IF so, tighten pinch bolt paying special attention to the "loop" so that it doesn't "twist" and bind the cable again.

I had the same problem with my 2010, if you remove the end cap from
the iso grip you will see a screw located in the center fo the grip, remove
that screw an give it a try. dont know what the screw is for but have no
problems for 3 years.

Steve

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png