Need advice

Hello all

Well need some advice. About a year and a half ago we had a bad storm/hail damged my roof/ siding and some windows. Looking at
$ 15,000 after everthing was done.

Problem: The guys that repleaced my siding look like they nicked a few windows ( about 5) cutting the edge of the windows. I took a pic of one of the windows so you can see what I am talking about.

I have been sending e-mails to the contractor but he has not responded to them. I have one more check to give him ( a little over $500 ).

Should I hold on to the check until he respond to my e-mails?

Should I contact the BBB?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/bigjoey38/sidewindows_zps0a4cc954.jpg

I just want them to the the right thing.

Document all dates, and take pics of each window frame. Then call another contractor and get an estimate on the repair. Send them a copy of the estimate, and ask them how they wish to proceed. Tell them they have 14 days(or whatever you feel is a reasonable time frame) to respond. I would send a certified letter, if they ignore you, have the other guys fix it and withhold payment. Good Luck-sometimes you have to play hardball, to get what is fair and right!poof

Document all dates, and take pics of each window frame. Then call another contractor and get an estimate on the repair. Send them a copy of the estimate, and ask them how they wish to proceed. Tell them they have 14 days(or whatever you feel is a reasonable time frame) to respond. I would send a certified letter, if they ignore you, have the other guys fix it and withhold payment. Good Luck-sometimes you have to play hardball, to get what is fair and right!poof

Great advice! Make sure the certified letter has a returned receipt, so you can prove they received the letter. There is always small claims court after you have done all of the above to reclaim anything in excess of the $500.00

Document and date the damage. Contact the contractor and ask for the repairs. Hold the rest of his money. Get an estimate for the repair from another contractor. If he dosen't fix the problem take him to court. Don't stiff another contractor because of him. You'll only get sued. Get a Lawyer to prosecute for all fees encluding his and the repairs!Plus court fee's! Lawyers will send a letter on your behalf for a small fee! Worth the money to stay on the right side of the law!

What he said. ThumbUp

Document and date the damage. Contact the contractor and ask for the repairs. Hold the rest of his money. Get an estimate for the repair from another contractor. If he dosen't fix the problem take him to court. Don't stiff another contractor because of him. You'll only get sued. Get a Lawyer to prosecute for all fees encluding his and the repairs!Plus court fee's! Lawyers will send a letter on your behalf for a small fee! Worth the money to stay on the right side of the law!

People tend to hate lawyers until they need one, then they're our best friend LOL...though the worst screwing I have ever experianced in my life was from a supposed "friend/associate" lawyer buddy of mine. Good guy gone bad and thought he was above the law, now fired and soon to be disbared. Choose your lawyer carefully.

I'd definately hold the remaining $500 and get an estimate on repairing the damage. After that a letter from a lawyer might do the trick, if not small claims might be the best route to take.

If all your windows are nicked like that there is no way you are going to get them reaired for the $500- you owe him -- do not pay him -- the certified letter is the way to start off -- the owner of the company could not have done a final inspection when the job was complete, if he/she did then I would be contacting the BBB in your area. I hate contractors that do that stuff.

Did you try to call him or just email? If it was a insurance claim, call your insurance company.

Thanks Everyone for the advice.....

Yes I have e-mailed him several times....

This was done by the people he hired to do the work...... I had the other windows replaced due to the hail storm damaged and the windows with the
nicks were intact that is why I did not get them replace and they never had any nicks.

I pointed this out to the guy that was doing the siding repairs and at first he told me he was going to let the owner know, then another time he said it was like that. The fact is about 5 windows have the nicks and they are all similar.

This is the first time I ever go through something like this.....

If all your windows are nicked like that there is no way you are going to get them reaired for the $500- you owe him -- do not pay him -- the certified letter is the way to start off -- the owner of the company could not have done a final inspection when the job was complete, if he/she did then I would be contacting the BBB in your area. I hate contractors that do that stuff.

Thanks Bruce I am giving him the opportunity to respond... Its been almost a week and I will hold on to the money until he contacts me.

Will be contacting the BBB next week and sending the certified letter.

I hate to give you any bad news but those windows can't be repaired. They have the built in j-channels. My guess is they were prying there to get the siding down behind the flanges. Was it cold out when the siding was installed? If so that would most likely be the cause of the chips. In warmer weather it probably wouldn't have done that. The only way to fix that is to replace the windows. Don't give the money back either. They should be licensed, bonded and insured. Thats exactly why they have that stuff. I know because I'm a contractor also. You can take them to small claims court but there is no guarranty you will get your money. I have a claim on a landlord that owes me $1200 and that was 10yrs ago. The court doesn't make these people pay. After 10yrs you have to go back down and refile or the claim is no good anymore.It really sucks!

Hopefully they have insurance if you can ever get a hold of them. I don't know the laws in Colorado, they may be different than Indiana. Hopefully you have a signed contract. Alot of times I don't get one but it's good for the contractor as much as for you. If you end up going to court they are going to want to see paper work,pictures,ect. Wish I lived out there cause I'd be glad to help you out. My son lives in Denver. I love Colorado. Nice riding country. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hell that would give me an excues to drive out there. Good Luck!! Jim Colson

Bigjoey with what jcolson just said-I think you should defiantly not pay them the balance. I'll bet you could get some thin pvc plastic strips, that match closely in color, and put strips across the top of the window frames to hide the nicks. As a last resort that is what I would do. Nobody will know but you and the TT forum!:Dpoof

If prying there to get the siding behind the j-channel is what they did,they didn't know what they were doing. If it was installed the right way there was no need to pry anywhere.The siding between the 2 windows should have slid down from the top. When they went to install the top piece of siding over the window it should've slipped right down behind the j-channel and use the special tool to snap in the siding on each side of the window. Sure hope you get this matter resolved. Let us know how it works out. Jim

Bigjoey with what jcolson just said-I think you should defiantly not pay them the balance. I'll bet you could get some thin pvc plastic strips, that match closely in color, and put strips across the top of the window frames to hide the nicks. As a last resort that is what I would do. Nobody will know but you and the TT forum!:Dpoof

I hear u or wait until the next major hail storm! I dont asked for much

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png