Cruise lag time

Apr 23, 2009
Moulton, Al
Hey folks my 1800 has enough lag time in the cruise for me to cover between 1/4 mi to 3/8 mile before it kicks in and works enough for me to turn loose is this normal?

Sounds like a cable adjustment I will check later to see how it is done. also they only work below 80 mph unless you Mod them

Let me check there is an adj for that also .On the 1500 you can also increas the top speed that it will set at.

Hey folks my 1800 has enough lag time in the cruise for me to cover between 1/4 mi to 3/8 mile before it kicks in and works enough for me to turn loose is this normal?

Yes. It is normal and Honda has known of the problem since shortly after the bike was introduced in 2001. As John L. says, the cable linkage can be adjusted and will often minimize the problem. It is puzzling that Honda hasn't fixed this pesky problem in all these years.

Several things can cause cruise problems like you're describing. Slack cable as already mentioned, leaking vacuum hoses, leaking vacuum actuator or defective vacuum relay. It could also be the filter as you suspect, sometimes the filter foam disintegrates over time and the pieces get sucked up the lines into the valves which will definitely cause problems.

A very handy tool for trouble shooting the cruise control is a hand vacuum pump. A Mighty Vac unit is just the ticket, hand vacuum pump with a vacuum gauge. Invaluable for finding vacuum leaks.

If you go to the top of this forum you'll find GSMacLean's offer for downloadable service manuals. There's a good program there for chasing out electrical problems with the 1500. It also has a good bit of trouble shooting information on mechanical and electrical systems. If you download that program you'll get a lot of help with your problem.

Several things can cause cruise problems like you're describing. Slack cable as already mentioned, leaking vacuum hoses, leaking vacuum actuator or defective vacuum relay. It could also be the filter as you suspect, sometimes the filter foam disintegrates over time and the pieces get sucked up the lines into the valves which will definitely cause problems.

A very handy tool for trouble shooting the cruise control is a hand vacuum pump. A Mighty Vac unit is just the ticket, hand vacuum pump with a vacuum gauge. Invaluable for finding vacuum leaks.

If you go to the top of this forum you'll find GSMacLean's offer for downloadable service manuals. There's a good program there for chasing out electrical problems with the 1500. It also has a good bit of trouble shooting information on mechanical and electrical systems. If you download that program you'll get a lot of help with your problem.

These are all good troubleshooting suggestions John. However, in too many instances Hondas are delivered from the factory with improperly adjusted cruise control units. If more owners had been insisting that dealers correct the problem under warranty, I think that Honda would have addressed the issue well before now.

On the GL1500 you can cancel out the lag by hitting the "Accel" button immediatly after you push the set button. Apparently a common problem.

That's why I love this forum, I learn so much from you guys (and gals). I was frustrated with the lag time as well, but Ozarkryder's trick with the accel button WORKS! And no monkeying around with technical stuff. Simple, elegant and efficient...beautiful. :yes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png