SC Drops Trike Endorsement

Lunchbox1983

Contributing Member
Oct 2, 2008
South Carolina
From the SC DMV home page.

Three-Wheel Motorcycle Endorsement
On Tuesday, June 2, 2009, Governor Sanford signed a new law concerning three-wheel motorcycles. Because of this law change, a three-wheel motorcycle endorsement is no longer required to operate a three-wheel motorcycle. Citizens can now operate a three-wheel motorcycle with any class of license except a moped class G license. This law change excludes a motorcycle with a detachable side car. To operate a motorcycle with a detachable side car, the customer must hold a class M motorcycle license. SCDMV will no longer administer three-wheel motorcycle tests.

I guess I do not understand why they dropped it, it was only in place one year. I do have a M endorsement and trike, but my wife does not, she has only the trike endorsement, which i guess no no longer exists. It would seem unfair that other states would not let you ride because of a license you cannot obtain in your home state.

I do know of an RV example some states require a different class based on the weight of your RV, but an out of State RV can drive through without penalty. CA is an example of this, i would assume the same it true of trikes. I may be wrong

Any LEO out there from other states know the answer?

At any point both of our licenses are good till 2019 by then they will have made it law again.

From the State of Florida. What is what is required in your state is what can be enforced in my state, when it comes to licensing. Now when you add commersial vehicles it's different. But the average driver does not have a concern. If you are concerned just carry a copy of your state statute with you that says a trike does not require a M endorsement. We have a trike endorsement here in Florida. Ted

Georgia requires the M (motorcycle) class endorsement HOWEVER if you take your initial road test on a trike you will receive the X (three wheel motorcycle) restriction on your license. I like the SC law...it puts more people on trikes although I think some training should be given prior to just turning new riders loose!

yes, personally I think what you guys say makes a lot of sense. I heard it from a trike forum somewhere, but am sure you must be able to travel to other states.

OK,, here is the word from two police officers.

"quote"
There is a legal difference between a motor driven cycle and a motorcycle. In PA, unless you have an enclosed cab...you have a motorcycle. If you are legal ( which I dont think you are) in CA, you must conform to the laws of the state that you are in if you travel.

Municipal Police Officer 1986- present

09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Takencareof
Rookie

second "quote"
mcsap is correct, you must conform to the laws of the state you are traveling in. It is the same as the helmut laws that vary from state to state.

In GA, you can go to Honda and take a course ($200), in which they provide you the bike, you pass it, then all you have to do is take the certificate to the DMV and they will issue you a liscence for a Motorcycle.

Well this is the law the way I heard it and it makes more sense. A Conn person driving a Conn. Reg car can do so in any state. A Conn. driver can drive any state car in that state but If you drive a out of state car in a different state you are in violation. ie: I drive a VA plated Car on FLA. with a Conn License it is against the law and I must abide by the rules of FLA. I can drive a Conn car in VA or Va car in VA or a VA car in Conn. Change CAR to motorcycle for this question. All laws go with the Driver. I would not make sense to change the law every time you cross a border. With the exception of Gun laws , seat belt laws and Helmet laws . some states do not req small trailers to be reg.so how would that work?:confused:

SC has sent out a letter now to all trike license endorsement holders with a new license without the endorsement, and said the old license is not illegal. The letter basically states it is legal to drive a Trike in SC with a "Normal" car license. Under Interstate commerce I really believe we would also be allowed to drive in any other state as a VISITOR. If we move to another state different story. Yes do do have to obey traffic laws, but we cannot be denied the right to drive when we cannot get a license.

I have put a copy of the letter in my registration papers.

The dumb thing is they pass a law, print books, paint trike courses at all DMV, train employees, Grandfather 100's of people with a FREE license, then in one year do away with it all, and MAIL a new license back to all the Trike endorsement holders, what a waste of money.

Hi here is how it works in Florida.

F.S. 322.04.1.d States that a nonresident who is at least 18 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid noncommercial drivers license issued to the nonresident in his or her home state or country may operate a motor vehicle other than a commercial motor vehicle, in this state.

For Drivers License purposses a motor vehicle is defined as any self propelled vehicle.

I would expect all other states have a similiar statute.

This basicly states that if you can drive it in your state then it's okay in Florida, as long as it's legal to drive it here. This comes into play in cases like slow vehicles, golf carts, ATV's, dirt bikes non dot certified can not be driven on Florida roads. This is the vehicle's issue not the persons license issue. Ted

Lunchbox has the right idea.

Either find the state statute online and print it off

or maybe get a copy of that letter.

Carry it with your paperwork in case you get stopped.

If push comes to shove, ask the officer who doesn't understand

to send a administrative message to your home state police requesting

a clarification.

It is sort of like Kansas trailer tag law

If it weighs less than 2000 lbs

It doesn't need a tag.

I now have a copy of the state statute with

the online web page address, so they can look

it up themselves after they read my copy.

^...Polaris got it wrong for NH as a MC endorsement is required to ride a trike, not and not simply a "standard drivers license"...:xzqxz:

I wonder if NH Is the same as NJ......Trikes ''Don't'' need the MC Endorsement if they have a full wind screen ,Steering wheel [not bars]..And automobile type seats...[Not straddling the engine] .....Which leaves most trikes out.... But not the Slingshot...

And in NJ also if the Slingshot has seat belts Helmets are not required...That said it would behove you if you are driving a Slingshot to have a copy of those regulations in the glove box......

I wonder if NH Is the same as NJ......Trikes ''Don't'' need the MC Endorsement if they have a full wind screen ,Steering wheel [not bars]..And automobile type seats...[Not straddling the engine] .....Which leaves most trikes out.... But not the Slingshot... /QUOTE]

Since the Slingshot needs MC registration in NH it's considered a MC, therefore MC endorsement on one's license is required.

If any vehicle has a windscreen, eye protection for the operator is not required...

I wonder if NH Is the same as NJ......Trikes ''Don't'' need the MC Endorsement if they have a full wind screen ,Steering wheel [not bars]..And automobile type seats...[Not straddling the engine] .....Which leaves most trikes out.... But not the Slingshot... /QUOTE]

Since the Slingshot needs MC registration in NH it's considered a MC, therefore MC endorsement on one's license is required.

If any vehicle has a windscreen, eye protection for the operator is not required...

The Slingshot is also registered in NJ as a motorcycle , Even the plates say Motorcycle , but you still don't need the endorsement , But like i said its best to have a copy of the reg's with you ...Some cops don't know the reg's from donuts...So without them if you get stopped a cop might tell you to tell it to the Judge...:Shrug:

The Slingshot is also registered in NJ as a motorcycle , Even the plates say Motorcycle , but you still don't need the endorsement , But like i said its best to have a copy of the reg's with you ...Some cops don't know the reg's from donuts...So without them if you get stopped a cop might tell you to tell it to the Judge...:Shrug:
My license has the following endorsements: DOUBLES,TRIPLES, TANKER,AIR BRAKES,HAZ MAT,MC.I can pull combonations up to 97 feet long.80,0000 pounds.Go ahead and give me a ticket Barney Fife. For riding this here itty bitty tri-cycle.Bwahaaaaaa,Bwahaaaaa....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Hunter

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Hunter
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png