Near miss requiring change of underwear

Like a lot of us, I've had some close calls from time to time. We must constantly be aware and saying to ourselves, "what if this guy does this or what if that guy to that". This doesn't prevent everything, but sure helps. Have a plan - also, I love my Rivco air horns. They help "wake 'em up".

Cagers do NOT look for bikes even if they see them the brain does not. This is a fault in our driver education in the USA much of it stems from thinking a bike is a toy and not valid transportation. Don't believe this spend a little time in Europe or Asia.Hit a bike or a scooter and see what happens you'll get a hell of a lot more than a hand slap.

Cagers do NOT look for bikes even if they see them the brain does not. This is a fault in our driver education in the USA much of it stems from thinking a bike is a toy and not valid transportation. Don't believe this spend a little time in Europe or Asia.Hit a bike or a scooter and see what happens you'll get a hell of a lot more than a hand slap.

You sure got that right. :10:

The one thing we had that was really a life saver was the "headlight on" regulation. Then they go and make everyone have their lights on - poof - there goes our one and only real edge.

Now they tell us to wear bright colors and what do they do??? - paint cars with bright colors. We can't win folks. Maybe a twin 50 cal. mounted on the front of your bike will work. :D
Or as Bill said, stricter/harsher laws like Asia and Europe. ThumbUp

All the hi vis clothing, extra lighting, brightly colored bikes, etc is never going to help us as long as we have distracted drivers. I think that there should be a mandatory program which automatically disables a cell phone when the car is in motion. I know it's an option with my cell company but I do believe that it should be mandatory.
News stations are reporting the upsurge in teenager's deaths in MVA's. Most accidents that I respond to as an EMT, either the person was on the phone or it was weather related.
As for the motorcycle accidents, they always say that they didn't see the biker. My Trike is about the same size as my friends' Toyota Yaris. I sure find it hard to believe when someone says to me that they didn't see me.

Not sure where I read this or if it even holds water, but found it interesting....

Drivers of cars are so sensory overloaded with all the things they see on the road, that the mind has to shut certain things out or determine if it's not a danger. Most of the "dangers" that the mind perceives are "horizontally oriented", such as other cars or trucks (two headlights set apart horizontally and the vehicle is usually wider than it is tall). Bikes or trikes generally only have one headlight and the bike/trike is more "vertical" in shape so their mind does not "see it as a threat", and so it doesn't register that something is there. There was also something mentioned about a triangle of lights that makes you more visible, which may be one of the reasons cars added the third brake light up high and in the middle of the rear brake lights.

Like I say, it could be BS, but thought there might be some merit to the idea. Of course like ladyff1481 said, adding the distraction of talking/texting on cell phones only makes it worse.

Not sure where I read this or if it even holds water, but found it interesting....

Drivers of cars are so sensory overloaded with all the things they see on the road, that the mind has to shut certain things out or determine if it's not a danger. Most of the "dangers" that the mind perceives are "horizontally oriented", such as other cars or trucks (two headlights set apart horizontally and the vehicle is usually wider than it is tall). Bikes or trikes generally only have one headlight and the bike/trike is more "vertical" in shape so their mind does not "see it as a threat", and so it doesn't register that something is there. There was also something mentioned about a triangle of lights that makes you more visible, which may be one of the reasons cars added the third brake light up high and in the middle of the rear brake lights.

Like I say, it could be BS, but thought there might be some merit to the idea. Of course like ladyff1481 said, adding the distraction of talking/texting on cell phones only makes it worse.

Another reason why I have as many lights on my trike as possible (front, sides and rear) in the "hope" that I'll be easily seen.

I thought the bright purple sparkle on my 1st trike would work but it didn't, now I'm looking at a modulator headlight and flashing brake lights on the tour pak.

Put trikes, motocycles, and scooters people's mind. How many signs do you see in September about children going to school, school bus, cross walks, crossing guards, well they should remind people when they get their linceses or tags that motorcycles, trikes, and scooters are vehicles.
I know in NH, they have signs out telling motorist that motorcycles are out there and be aware of them.
Still there are accidents. You are correct in distractions to drivers, that's a big one. I think in Maine you can not be distracted or you will get pulled over:
Eating
Drinking water-juice-coffee anything
Cell phone
and the big one is texting.
While I was in California there was a motorcycle cop hiding behind some bushes every day looking for people with their hands to their ears, like being on the phone, he would go after them and give them a ticket. Harsh, but it is one way to make people aware they shouldn't do it.
Give a ticket to a few and hundreds will find out because word of mouth.

Regards,

Rosy & Janice
From NH

You got that right Rosy.
Kill two birds with one stone = cities get needed revenue and the drivers get an expensive message.....and hope it sinks in.

My last bike had all kinds of lights in the back, but since I saw and installed a set of Hyper-Lites on the back - nobody comes close to me. I even had a car driver follow me into a shopping center just to ask where I got them.

I would like to get a modulating headlight, but I read somewhere that you can't with an LED headlight.
I know they're irritating when someone has them behind me in my rearview mirrors.....so they must work.

Maybe I'll make a bracket that will move the running lights out to car dimensions. :D

Some of the best signs I've seen about motorcycles are in Utah and they actually were geared towards bikers to be aware, and so clever that I think everyone, bikes/trikes and cars got the message. Attached are the graphics from 5 of the signs we saw on the road, but I'm sure there's others we missed.

My husband once told me, besides watching the person to make sure they see you as they pull out of sidestreets or parking lots, also take a look at their tires. They may be looking right at you, but if their tires are moving, be extra wary. they may not see you at all and start pulling out. I always watch the person, then glance at their tires as I approach.

GoSlo, you're right about the signs targeting bikers. They should be targeting car drivers = THE REAL PROBLEM!

But like any government entity, the bikes are the problem NOT car drivers.:gah:

Southpaw, that is good advise, but also slow down a little and keep your brakes covered - that reduces the reaction time a lot. I never approach an intersection without having my fingers and foot over the brakes.

Watching to see if they are on their cell phone is also a good idea - all that in a split second can be done with lots of practice.

You handled that perfectly. Ranting and raving usually goes in one ear and outh the other (nothing in the middle to retain it) but polite statements are often quite sobering and leave the person with something to think about. We hope anyway!!

GOOD ON YA!!

I've had a modulating headlight on my Gl1800 as well as a 'back-off' tail light regulator since 2006.

Both have worked wonders, but the modulating headlight is amazing.

I'm just getting my new Gl1800 equipped and I consider both devices an absolute must. Inexpensive and effective!

I've had a modulating headlight on my Gl1800 as well as a 'back-off' tail light regulator since 2006.

Both have worked wonders, but the modulating headlight is amazing.

I'm just getting my new Gl1800 equipped and I consider both devices an absolute must. Inexpensive and effective!

Sadly neither are legal here in the UK. :-(

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png