Lower Fairing removed for summer?

Oct 22, 2012
Marietta Ga.
I bought my tri-glide this Jan. so I have not rode it on a hot day yet, but I have heard a lot about the heat the engine puts out, spring is coming soon:D.
I just read in the owners manual that on the hotter Mo's it will help to remove the lower fairing's, I was just wondering how many of you do this?...and is it worth the trouble ?...I know it has the slide vents, but is that enough air on a really hot day ? Thanks for any comments, lboos.

I never take my off. It's nice to have to stop the rain from soaking your legs when you get caught in a surprise rain storm. Course if I have time I'll put on my rain suit.Plus it's nice for storage. I don't have the heat issues since I don't have the cats in the pipes. My motor is built up plus the V&H exhaust system.

same here, i got rid of the cats got cr true duel pipes k&n filter should run cooler even with the lowers on i will let you know how it turns out.

LOL, after waiting all my riding life for a touring bike with lowers, I'm not taking mine off. But, I too had the engine mods, no cats, air and a tuner, so my heat issue is being taking care of. I feel good not having all the wind hitting me.

Karen

Have a 2005 Electraglide Classic with the DFT conversion. Use
the HD soft lowers during cold/cool weather and can take
them on/off on less than 3 minutes without tools. They even
have pouches in them for storage. Seems like a pretty good
compromise to me.

Took my lowers off last spring and reinstalled them toward the end of summer. I liked the extra air flow without the lowers however you don't get that much more without them. Really not worth the hassle of removing them IMHO.

If you look at the red trike in the siggy you can see my lowers are off. Took them off the first summer, put them back on in winter. 3 bolts, takes about 15 minutes to take them off. I replace them with Linby bars that second as highway pegs. Didn't bother to put them back on this winter. Doesn't rain much here in SoCal, and daytime temps in the dead of winter are usually in the 60's. Wife likes hers on in the winter, off in the summer. You do have to jack up the front of the scoot to get the faring to clear the front tire.

Good Luck.

I always took mine off for the summer - untill I installed a HOGTUNES speaker system and have my woofers in the lowers. So now I have to leave the lowers on, but it's not a problem for me. Tunes are way more important then any heat problem.

I will say this though. Try something less costly first. I was like you and bought my TG in the fall so did a bunch of recommended mods due to all the talk on the heat problem here on TT. I did the H-D Fatshotz slip ons, SE A/C and a tuner. I don't really think I needed all that with the other add ons I did.
Like floorboard spacers and crotch cooler. I think I would have been satisfied just with those mods.
Of course it also depends on where you live.

It all really depends on your threshold for heat. Some riders have a high tolerance and don't do any mods, and then there are those that have a low tolerance and spend thousands of $$$ to be comfortable.

If I were you I'd try the spacers, crotch cooler and remove the lowers first - then decide if more expensive mods are in order.
I might have saved a lot of $$$$ if I had waited and did these first.
The one thing I will never do is remove the cat because it doesn't effect me and I want to keep the bike as stock as possible. JMHO

And I agree with Oldmso - I like the protection and the looks.

I took them off my 2003 Ultra in summer and enjoyed the cooler running engine (New York traffic).
Then when I had my 2012 Triglide I ran with lowers and without this past summer and it ran a little cooler with them off. Again once I got into traffic it didn't matter. Ran it with a group of folks that were on two wheels and I was only trike. It actually stalled out on me from overheating. Had to pull over along with rest of the group. Seems trike just doesn't get the airflow like a regular bike gets due to the wheels blocking airflow. Otherwise why else is this happening.
Have a 2013 waiting for me at dealer so curious myself how it will be once warm weather starts in.
I do agree with most that leaving lowers is preferable but once you remove them a couple of times it's no big deal. Be careful not to bang them up in the process.
But if I experience what I experienced last summer then new pipes, A/C and tuner is in order.

I took my lowers off the first year I had the trike and it was a pain in the butt to store safely then put back on when the weather got cooler, I also lost the storage space so second year and beyond just kept them on and made sure to keep open in the hot weather and you won't have a problem. And also..., yes.., additional protection when it rains. I won't take mine off again.

Never liked the look of them. Took mine off when I got the '10 TG. Never used them again. More room for hwy pegs and air horn (essential for all the evil clowns on the road).:qpnmt:

Like Bikerbozo i don't like the looks of em.Took em off the first summer and bought a pair of chaps that slip over the crash bars that i can put on or off in seconds.

On my older bikes I never put anything in them since I had so much storage elsewhere. The TG I put speakers there so again no storage.
The adjustable vent is just about useless, but better then nothing. I usually wear a rain suit when it rains so it doesn't matter about the rain protection.

Mine came off the day after I took delivery, which was last Thursday, I think it looks better without the lowers. I have the soft lowers in the trunk in the vent I need something, but for now happy without them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png