Info wanted on Helen, Ga

Jun 19, 2009
Darlington
Hi All,

I will be retiring in June and have a lot of places that I want to be sure to visit, I have heard many good things about Helen, Ga over the years, it would be approx 700 miles trip for me and just wanted opinions from people that have been there, it looks like a great place but I am not familiar with that area, so looking for input from people that have gone there.

Great riding area. The Gaunlet is what they call one of the rides.. We stayed there for about a week and rode the areas around. Great eating places there also. We also rode up to the Tail of the Dragon one day also.

Helen is a great town to visit and near some of the best motorcycle roads in the country. I, personally would stay away during Octoberfest unless you like large crowds, traffic, no parking and long lines for eating.

helen ga- just over the mountain from where i live,blairsville ga. terrain like the maggie valley area,anything from twisties rolling 4lanes or backroads.agreeded oct IS CROWDED (octoberfest in helen).from helen you are located near the top of blood mnt&the applachian trail,dawsonville & highway 9 the moonshine trail,several hours ride nw to the ocoee gourge 1996 white water olympics(very secenic) tellico plains tenn,going north to knoxville tenn .short ride to maggie valley ashville(must see biltmore house). from maggie take 441s (check out the dillard house in dillard,ga "an eaters paradice") to clayton ga,then over the mnt or around mnt/lake burton to helen. i suggest you obtain a map of the n ga mnts,area map of western nc-as the are many back roads. if interested send me a note & i will send you maps of this area/hard copy no charge--glad to help you enjoy this nice area.

Ya got to stop in Clayton Dillard, GA. In Dillard, you have the Dillard House; great place to eat. In Clayton you can stop to see "Goats on the Roof". Really, the goats roam the roof of this place. I think riverrat69 has all the answers. It's just great riding in the Georgia Mountains.

Hi All,

I will be retiring in June and have a lot of places that I want to be sure to visit, I have heard many good things about Helen, Ga over the years, it would be approx 700 miles trip for me and just wanted opinions from people that have been there, it looks like a great place but I am not familiar with that area, so looking for input from people that have gone there.

Mary Road Runner Mag did a Shamrock ride from Helen awhile back and it is good riding in and around Helen if you can find the article.RIDE SAFE

Thanks for all the great info, I will avoid Helen, Ga during October........thanks Riverrat, will contact you for more info when I am ready to make the trip to Helen, I can see you are very familiar with the area.........I do appreciate your input.

We have a cabin in Helen ,we love the area and yes Octoberfest is a zoo , but lots of fun having a cold one at the Troll and watching the Hoch go by. The German food is CRAP and not worth the money better places to eat out of the town. BTW cabin is for sale .

We had our Friends on Wheels Rally in Helen this past June.
Great town with good food and plenty to see.
We were there from Sunday to Friday and still didn't see everything.
Good Choice all thought, you said you have been the Maggie Valley.
We had our rally there in 2011.
That would be our first choice of that whole area.

Helen is modeled after a German village with lots of good places to eat. There is a huge operating model railroad. Very mountainous area some roads not for those afraid of heights.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png