Who has a pull behind camper and what do you like about it?

We are in Australia. The "hard floor" campers here are only 4'6" wide. Not wide enough IMO. If they are wide enough for you then no problem and its the way to go.

IMG_00812.jpg

VW trikes here have a maximum towing capacity of 300kgms 660lbs (with brakes) or 550 lbs 250 kgms (without brakes) thats everything. So ideally a camper weighing less than 420 lbs plus load is ideal because you need the remainder for all the other stuff. The "other stuff" would weigh minimum 260 lbs. That weigh includes- fridge, dry cell battery, toilet, water, clothes, annex, cooking stuff, tent pegs, table chairs etc.

With VW trikes this limit of towing ability is due to the reduction of weight on your front wheel. This can be a serious concern. Briefly let me tell you of a near disaster we had.

We were towing a camper total weight (illegal) of 880 lbs without brakes.

We rode up an incline to a lighthouse on a narrow tar road.

Upon our return there was rubble in the middle of the road and I braked. My VE trike has a braking system whereby all three wheels go on at once. The front wheel locked up on the rubble and the rig fishtailed down the hill dangerously. I saved it but only just. So be careful towing with rear engined trikes.

IMG_0080.jpg

This is why I recommend trailer brakes. You can buy what they can "magnetic brakes" that are good. Good because they dont lock up but do assist to keep the rig straight under braking.

Anyway here is the rig and the camper erected. Our is called a Detour camper only available here in Oz but you can watch it being erected (takes 2 minutes) on this web site. Finally, as you can see on this site, under bed and rear gate access to the load is preferred.

http://www.detourcampers.com/motorcycle.htm

IMAG0257.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png