CSC trunk issue

Jul 16, 2010
Axson, Georgia
I have a 2004 1800 with a CSC RIS kit on it.
Went to open the lower trunk and your guessed it the latch will not open the trunk.

I pulled the plastic plate on the rear inside of the upper trunk to see if the release cable had fallen out of the grove but everything is as it should be.

I then pulled the release cable from the lever to pull the cable directly. Its like the lock is frozen or broken behind the trunk door.

Any ideas on how to open the lower trunk without using the cable.

I called CSC and so far have not received a call back from them.

BTY the trunk has leaked since I have had this trike so it would not surprise me to find the lock rusted.

THanks in advance for any help.

On my 2005 CSC Cobra there is a release cable that is connected directly to the latch. You should be able to find by removing the left side cover or looking under the seat.

Good Luck!

I could still use a little knowledge to resolve this.

I have found 2 problems with the actual working parts of the latch system.

(1) the latch that the relese cable attaches to has a broken spring, there are 2 springs per latch and the broken one is the one that causes the latch to spring open when the cable is pulled so in effect this latch does not lock.

(2) the other problem is the second latch will not move far enough via the connecting rod to cause the latch to open.

After a lot of penterating oil and working the latch back and forth I can get it to open about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 the time the cable end in the trunk will pop out of the holder before it moves the latches far enough to open.

I'm thinking I will have to replace both latches and the connecting rod.
Has anyone here had to replace these parts before?

You could give CSC a call and see what they say about it.Freind of mine had a brake problem and they were really helpful.RIDE SAFE

I found that on our CSC,it was best to pull both release levers at the same time.I say this because we were pulling just one lever or the other and one of the plastic clips at the cable end where it hooks onto the release rod,finally broke.There wasn't enough movement on the other release lever to un-lock the lock.Had to use the emergency cable pull to open trunk.
CSC sent me 2 new plastic clips,free,and before installing them,I drilled a small hole in the flat side of the clips,then put them on the cable ends and after snapping them onto the release rod,put a small cable tie through the drilled hole and pulled tight.I hope this will strenghten and keep the plastic ends from breaking again.We now always pull both levers at the same time to open and have had no more problem.Also the trunk don't leak.....yet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png